What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

I didn't want to start the 2024-25 Coaching Carousel thread so I'll plop this nugget here.

OSU just landed a new school President in the past few weeks. OSU landed their new AD today, Bjork (from TAMU not Iceland), the dude that extended Jumbo Fisher and then turned around and fired Jumbo for a $76mm guaranteed payday.

So following the dots...New school president, new AD, and the fans HATE the football HC. Looks like Mr. "Born on Third Base" is going to get thrown out next fall.

Moth Human Behaviour GIF by Squirrel Monkey

I didn't want to start the 2024-25 Coaching Carousel thread so I'll plop this nugget here.

OSU just landed a new school President in the past few weeks. OSU landed their new AD today, Bjork (from TAMU not Iceland), the dude that extended Jumbo Fisher and then turned around and fired Jumbo for a $76mm guaranteed payday.

So following the dots...New school president, new AD, and the fans HATE the football HC. Looks like Mr. "Born on Third Base" is going to get thrown out next fall.

A really strange hire for Ohio State.

In a lot of cases, the AD is just calling Jimmy Sexton to find out who's available at what price. Sexton (or someone like him) then uses the opening to get some clients who aren't interested or the right fit a raise/ extension before announcing a deal with the actual HC hire. CU doesn't play that game and burnt bridges when RG fired MacIntyre when he was being groomed for an SEC job.

Is this Jimmy Sexton? Because this is the only thing that pops in my head when I hear the name “Jimmy Sexton”

I don’t think you’re following what I’m saying. There might be available coaches, true. But the guys who would have been your first, second and third choices had you been looking in November are all spoken for by now.

At this point, guys like Bronco Mendenhall are back in the picture. Maybe that’s good for some teams. Less so for others.
Why. Why would all of those coaches not be open to an opportunity? This is not the age of loyalty in CFB. I think they are all open and there’s much less competition at the time. This timing thing is an artificial hurdle.

Just depends on how far down the hill the sh!t flows. You can always get a HC and staff from G5 or FCS. Like KU did with bringing in Lance Leipold so late in the post-2020 offseason. They got a great HC with a high quality staff. However, Buffalo's results have tanked and I don't see that program recovering soon.

And now Buffalo's coach Maurice Linguist just resigned to take an assistant job at Alabama

Scheer just posted Brennan's contract with Arizona.

Definitely seems on the low end, $3.1 million in total comp with an annual $200k escalator starting in year 2, which will be one of the lowest salaries in the B12. Its lower than Jedd who was already tied for the second lowest salary in the B12 when he was projected to make $3.4 million on his original deal. His assistant coach salary pool is $4,250,000, I think we're projected to to be pushing $5 million this year depending on what the new coordinators are getting.

Deboer was brilliant in taking the Bammer job right now. I just saw a UW championship game depth chart with lines through the players that are not returning to the team this fall. UW has zero starters on offense returning and two starters on defense returning. There are some transfers, but most of them are from tapped out eligibility or declaring for the NFL draft.

Yeah, following Saban is tough but following himself at UW this season looks worse.

Deboer was brilliant in taking the Bammer job right now. I just saw a UW championship game depth chart with lines through the players that are not returning to the team this fall. UW has zero starters on offense returning and two starters on defense returning. There are some transfers, but most of them are from tapped out eligibility or declaring for the NFL draft.

Yeah, following Saban is tough but following himself at UW this season looks worse.
On the same note, though, I just saw that a bit over half of Alabama's 2-deep has either declared for the draft or entered the portal + 6 of their prep signings decommitting. There's much more in the cupboard there, but there's a ton of roster work to do at Bama if he doesn't want a bad record in his first season.

On the same note, though, I just saw that a bit over half of Alabama's 2-deep has either declared for the draft or entered the portal + 6 of their prep signings decommitting. There's much more in the cupboard there, but there's a ton of roster work to do at Bama if he doesn't want a bad record in his first season.
Funny to see all the crying that the calendar and rules need to be changed because of what is happening to Bama. No one was crying for Colorado when lost most of our starting secondary to other schools in conference.

Funny to see all the crying that the calendar and rules need to be changed because of what is happening to Bama. No one was crying for Colorado when lost most of our starting secondary to other schools in conference.
But the dates are extremely stupid - Alabama is being punished here effectively for making the playoffs.

Portal should not open until after the season + a few weeks to allow for coaching changes/whatever.

But the dates are extremely stupid - Alabama is being punished here effectively for making the playoffs.

Portal should not open until after the season + a few weeks to allow for coaching changes/whatever.
The issue is the season calendar is misaligned with the academic calendar. If you delay the portal window players might not be able to enroll for the Spring semester. Maybe the solution is you only have a Spring portal window?

The issue is the season calendar is misaligned with the academic calendar. If you delay the portal window players might not be able to enroll for the Spring semester. Maybe the solution is you only have a Spring portal window?
Then move the season forward, there shouldn't be a transfer portal before the year is done & before coaching changes.

This process is beyond ****ed right now & outside of roster building it makes the bowl games much worse.

No mid-year transfers for players who are still on active rosters?

It kind of makes sense, but what are they supposed to do during the spring semester? They miss out on the most important 4 month period in their offseason S&C program by not having a program they're a part of for that. And for the schools, they sure don't want to have 20 spring scholarships tied up for guys who have entered the portal & are basically students who also work out on campus. Would they have access to trainers & medical staff? Would a training injury be covered while they were working out independently and not part of team activities?

No perfect solution here, unfortunately.

It kind of makes sense, but what are they supposed to do during the spring semester? They miss out on the most important 4 month period in their offseason S&C program by not having a program they're a part of for that. And for the schools, they sure don't want to have 20 spring scholarships tied up for guys who have entered the portal & are basically students who also work out on campus. Would they have access to trainers & medical staff? Would a training injury be covered while they were working out independently and not part of team activities?

And keep in mind that any player could appeal to a US court to be allowed to transfer between semesters just like any other college student, and given the NCAA's winning streak in court...

That would only matter if this had anything to do with academics.

Scheer just posted Brennan's contract with Arizona.

Definitely seems on the low end, $3.1 million in total comp with an annual $200k escalator starting in year 2, which will be one of the lowest salaries in the B12. Its lower than Jedd who was already tied for the second lowest salary in the B12 when he was projected to make $3.4 million on his original deal. His assistant coach salary pool is $4,250,000, I think we're projected to to be pushing $5 million this year depending on what the new coordinators are getting.

Cheap
AZ might have to go without football and join the Big East

12-team playoff should help

It'll never happen, but maybe the rational solution is to play 11 regular season games, only one week off after CCGs before the first round of CFP, and just work backword from a CFP Final on New Years Day to pick the dates for week 1
Yeah. They're not giving up the revenue from all those games.

Everyone start in Week 0 and have CCGs during Thanksgiving week would be the only way to get a 4-round playoff done on January 1st.

Why does there need to be any time off? Just keep going from the end of the season.
A lot of folks like having the Army/Navy game stand alone in that off week.

I'd be in favor of first round games at campus sites, that would make a week off useful, if not necessary, for planning a big game.

Back