What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 NCAA tournament general games thread

No. It would not be controversial to basketball players and knowledgeable fans if a borderline offensive off ball foul wasn't called on the deciding play with 4 seconds left. That's bullsh!t and inexcusable officiating.

A couple minutes before that Clark pushed Edwards in to the lane while fighting through a screen and no call.

No. It would not be controversial to basketball players and knowledgeable fans if a borderline offensive off ball foul wasn't called on the deciding play with 4 seconds left. That's bullsh!t and inexcusable officiating.
As I said most refs would not make that call in that situation.

Despite that though fans and media love controversy. Those who support Iowa, those who lost money on the play, and media people who just want something to argue about would jump on it. That's how it usually works.

All things considered it shouldn't have been called but it isn't like a phantom foul call for a play with no contact, it was simply one of those times when the game should have been left in the hands of the players.

UConn had some favorable calls as well, up until the call on Edwards I was fine with the refs. What grinds me is throughout the game both teams had gotten away with worse while setting screens and the refs are going to pick that moment to call it?
Yep. Whether it was a foul or not is a matter of opinion. Which is why you swallow the whistle.

I have said this a couple of times, NCAA needs Clark to be in final.

They needed the call to beat WVU, they got it.

They didn't need the call to beat us, the call was still favorable to them.

And today.

Okay - let me be a contrarian. Two false narratives are being pushed. The first was that UConn got screwed by the refs all night. UConn was having to foul with a minute to get Iowa in the bonus should UConn need to send them to the line.

The second is that it was a phantom call. It wasn't. She moved on the screen. By the book, it was an offensive foul. It also wasn't out of the blue. UConn was called for at least 3 moving screens last night.

So what everyone is really upset about is that they didn't want a ticky-tack offensive foul deciding a great game. Which is a legit gripe, but it's not the same thing as "the refs just made some bull**** up".

Also, **** UConn.

The thing I could not stop thinking about this morning: Millions of people were watching that game last night, many of whom were not usual womens college basketball viewers. It could not have been better for the sport. The game was tremendous, and everything set up for a memorable ending. There was either going to be a buzzer beater, or a tantalizing miss. You couldn't hope for anything better.

And instead, we got that ****ing whistle.

I know that having Caitlin Clark in the final is supposedly the best outcome, but I think that ending set the sport back considerably.

Okay - let me be a contrarian. Two false narratives are being pushed. The first was that UConn got screwed by the refs all night. UConn was having to foul with a minute to get Iowa in the bonus should UConn need to send them to the line.

The second is that it was a phantom call. It wasn't. She moved on the screen. By the book, it was an offensive foul. It also wasn't out of the blue. UConn was called for at least 3 moving screens last night.

So what everyone is really upset about is that they didn't want a ticky-tack offensive foul deciding a great game. Which is a legit gripe, but it's not the same thing as "the refs just made some bull**** up".

Also, **** UConn.

UConn's defense allowed Iowa to get back in to the game when it appeared at the half, it was game over. Had they not done that, it would not have come down to that call. It was a moving screen.

**** UConn. I don't watch UConn play. Haven't in many years. Geno and the alums think if you don't play there you are no good. With all the McDonald All-American's on the team, they should be in the Final Four every year.

Iowa has Clark, who was not recruited by Geno.

Iowa is a team that surrounds Clark. Playing with her has brought increased the level of play by her teammates. Last night's win was not a Clark and whoever else was on the court. It was a team win. That's the best kind.

The game did not set back WBB. Wait for the ratings for tomorrow's game. Go Hawks!

UConn's defense allowed Iowa to get back in to the game when it appeared at the half, it was game over. Had they not done that, it would not have come down to that call. It was a moving screen.

**** UConn. I don't watch UConn play. Haven't in many years. Geno and the alums think if you don't play there you are no good. With all the McDonald All-American's on the team, they should be in the Final Four every year.

Iowa has Clark, who was not recruited by Geno.

Iowa is a team that surrounds Clark. Playing with her has brought increased the level of play by her teammates. Last night's win was not a Clark and whoever else was on the court. It was a team win. That's the best kind.

The game did not set back WBB. Wait for the ratings for tomorrow's game. Go Hawks!
Can you honestly say that you would have felt the same way if the call had gone the other way? Or if you didn't hate UConn? Becuase your comments suggest that you would not have.

I did not have a dog in the fight. For two hours, I was completely invested in a great game, and it ended with my feeling completely cheated.

Bad for the sport.

The thing I could not stop thinking about this morning: Millions of people were watching that game last night, many of whom were not usual womens college basketball viewers. It could not have been better for the sport. The game was tremendous, and everything set up for a memorable ending. There was either going to be a buzzer beater, or a tantalizing miss. You couldn't hope for anything better.

And instead, we got that ****ing whistle.

I know that having Caitlin Clark in the final is supposedly the best outcome, but I think that ending set the sport back considerably.

There seems to be a contest in this thread, a chase to the bottom if you will, about who can be the most hyperbolic about one call. Yeah, bad call at a bad time, but not anywhere near “that ending set the sport back considerably “.

I was among the millions that watched the game last night. I don’t watch basketball other than a handfull of CU mens games each year. The Iowa vs Uconn was fantastic basketball. I found myself cheering, yelling, and excited about what I was watching throughout the game. The foul was a bad call at a bad time but it didnt erase the compelling game played for 39 minutes and 56 seconds before it or the few seconds after.

I’m looking forward to the SC vs Iowa final tomorrow.

Also, **** UConn.
In basketball, you can call 90% of the screen "illegal" if you want (e.g., watch the replay of CU vs. Oregon State and you can find this kind of screen 1 million times). Yes, it was right call in the slow motion replay, but it's also a call that refs don't make with 4 seconds left in the game.

I find the argument that "I don't care if it's early or late in the game, make the right call" silly. Because if you really want to make the "right call", both teams will be short of 5 players very soon. And, what is "right call" in basketball anyway?

The reason refs usually don't make this kind of call late in the game, is because the game should not be decided by the refs. Unless it's a 100% clear foul, swallow your whistle. KJ pushed a little bit in the end in slow motion, how would we feel if it was called as offensive foul?

I don't think UConn lost because of this call, In fact, I think with the way Paige played last night, it's much more likely for her to miss that last shot if she was given the chance.

I think that was a fantastic basketball game.

And I still think the refs were consistently favorable to Iowa, and the last call was really bad.

As someone who has been bitching about moving screens never getting called this year (women vs Oregon St comes to mind) I can't get angry about this one.

Agreed. That final home game against Oregon State almost caused me a coronary it was so blatant. She was still moving, threw a leg and an elbow.

Moving screens are out of control in college and pro basketball. I bitch about refs ignoring them all the time. In this case though, Edwards had been called for the same kind of moving screen earlier in the game that she committed late.

I don't like the idea that a game was decided by an offensive foul, but none of you are willing to talk about the player deciding to foul there? Because it really sounds like you all are arguing that players should feel free to commit offensive fouls late in the game because the refs shouldn't call them.

No it isn't. Watch the very end of the clip. The UConn player extends an arm, and then the official's hand goes up. It's displacement.That's an easy call, even in that spot.

Moving screens are out of control in college and pro basketball. I bitch about refs ignoring them all the time. In this case though, Edwards had been called for the same kind of moving screen earlier in the game that she committed late.

I don't like the idea that a game was decided by an offensive foul, but none of you are willing to talk about the player deciding to foul there? Because it really sounds like you all are arguing that players should feel free to commit offensive fouls late in the game because the refs shouldn't call them.
Edward has been doing this kind of moving screen throughout the whole game, and she got called exactly once.

Like I said, if you want to use slow motion to judge if a screen is illegal or not, maybe the bonus should start at 60 fouls, not 6 fouls.

it's a foul, no doubt about it. But in every single game, refs are inconsistent about it and mostly ignore it. Especially in the women's game, `illegal screen` is more of a way for the refs to do make up call or "manage the game".

It's not meant to be called to decide the game.

No it isn't. Watch the very end of the clip. The UConn player extends an arm, and then the official's hand goes up. It's displacement.That's an easy call, even in that spot.
Beat her to the spot and leaned into contact. I saw no problem with that screen. I'd complain about it in the first minute of a game, but at least then I'd be saying, "So that's how they're calling it today. Just keep it consistent and the players will adjust."

Also, if fans have been "bitching about refs ignoring them all the time", this is exactly the reason you can't call it in the last moment of the game.

Because it has been ignored by the refs all the time!

The hype around the Caitlin Clark show and how that's captured so many viewers and water cooler conversation has been fantastic. It will grow the sport and the opportunities for women in sports. Lots of kids will be inspired. It's almost all good.

As a sports fan, I hope that South Carolina and the 5-year run they've been on doesn't get lost. Capping it with an undefeated national championship would be legendary.

As someone who has been bitching about moving screens never getting called this year (women vs Oregon St comes to mind) I can't get angry about this one.

And it looks like Stuelke is right there to contest a Bueckers shot attempt anyway. The call/no call late in the game largely depends on who benefits as to how it's viewed. Real time it looked like a questionable call but slo mo definitely looked like a foul, late in the game or not. The college game, men and women ,has steadily become more physical, harder to ref. Often the whistle is not blown unless it impacts the play. SO much subjectivity. I'd hate to ref.

Back