What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Pac 12 Tourney thread- #3 seed MEN'S bball (Las Vegas; their 1st game vs. #6 Utah/ #11 ASU winner, Thurs., 3/14, 9:30 PM MT, FS1)

Will happily take him in the transfer portal at USD after the delusions about him being an NBA player are dashed. Mid tier WCC team is right for him.
He's absolutely an NBA talent. He needs to work on his game, but he can play in the NBA. He should be a three year college guy though.

I know all the metrics are science-y, but is there any chance that the PAC XII is underrated this year? The conference didn't necessarily shine in non-con, but it's happened before in recent years.
The Pac 12 routinely puts more players into the NBA than the B1G.

The Pac always has high end talent, but the coaches have failed a lot of that talent at this level.

Media after the win over the Utes:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/14/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-utah

"
LAS VEGAS — Colorado's KJ Simpson and Eddie Lampkin Jr. each recorded double-doubles and the Buffaloes pulled away down the stretch Thursday to take a 72-58 win over Utah in the Pac-12 tournament quarterfinals at T-Mobile Arena.

Tad Boyle's third-seeded Buffs won their seventh straight to improve to 23-9 and collect a critical win in what many observers viewed as an "elimination game" in the battle to clinch at least an at-large NCAA Tournament berth.

Colorado will now face No. 2 seed Washington State in Friday's 8:30 p.m. (MT) semifinal at T-Mobile Arena.

Utah fell to 19-14.

Simpson finished with 18 points, 10 rebounds and six assists while Lampkin totaled 17 points and 12 rebounds. Tristan da Silva chipped in 14 for the Buffaloes.

Hunter Erickson and Brendon Carlson led Utah with 13 points each.

Colorado led by three at the break, 33-30, after the Utes used a 15-0 run to erase a 14-point CU lead before the Buffs came back to regain the lead in the final minutes of the half.

The Buffs then took full control for the final 20 minutes, building their lead to double-digits less than eight minutes in. Utah briefly cut Colorado's lead back to five with just more than nine minutes to play but the Buffs used a 16-5 surge over the next five minutes to take a 68-52 lead and put the game away.

Colorado shot 28-for-63 from the floor, including an efficient 7-for-14 from long range. CU held the Utes to 33% shooting (21-for-64), including an 8-for-30 night from beyond the arc. Utah hit six 3-pointers in the first half but missed its first eight attempts in the second half and finished just 2-for-16 in the final 20 minutes.

CU also finished with just seven turnovers and had a 47-37 edge on the boards. The Buffs are now 91-6 in the Boyle era when hitting the "gold standard" of holding an opponent to 40% percent or less shooting and having at least a plus-8 rebound margin.

"I'm really proud of this group, especially to win a game when we certainly didn't play our best in the first half," Boyle said. "The credit goes to these players. They're a veteran group who understand how to win, understand what it takes to win, and they made adjustments at halftime. We held them to two 3s instead of 6 and that was the difference in the game. These guys deserve a lot of credit for what they've done this year and what we'll continue to do this year."

"We were just running them off the line (in the second half)," Simpson said. "I think communication was the biggest thing, understanding where people are, where shooters are, and running them off the line with a high hand and not letting them get attempts up as much."

Lampkin proved to be a force all night against the Utes' big front line. Utah's three big men combined for just 15 points on 6-for-16 shooting while Lampkin was an ultra-efficient 8-for-14 with three assists to go with his 17 points and 12 boards. When he left the game with a couple minutes to play, a sizable CU crowd chanted, "Eddie, Eddie."

"It felt good," Lampkin said. "Everyone screaming my name, it felt like a home game."

After building their big lead, the Buffs held the Utes at bay over the final minutes to collect the win and advance to Friday night's semifinal matchup against Washington State.

The Buffs split a pair with WSU this season.

"Washington State is a hell of a team," Boyle said. We beat them shorthanded in Boulder. They weren't at their best. They got us in Pullman. We weren't at our best. So I think it should be a hell of a game. They've got some good players. They're well-coached. It's not going to be easy, but nothing's easy in March, especially in the semifinals of a tournament like this."

DECISIVE MOMENT: After Utah closed CU's lead to five midway through the second half, the Buffs responded with a 16-5 run to take complete control and the Utes never threatened over the final minutes.

WHAT IT MEANS: The win should virtually guarantee the Buffs an NCAA Tournament berth.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado shot 28-for-63 from the floor, including an efficient 7-for-14 from long range … The Utes shot 33% (21-for-64), including an 8-for-30 night from beyond the arc … Utah hit six 3-pointers in the first half but missed its first eight attempts in the second half and finished just 2-for-16 in the final 20 minutes … CU also finished with just seven turnovers and had a 47-37 edge on the boards

NEXT UP: The Buffs move on to the Pac-12 tourney semifinals with an 8:30 p.m. matchup Friday night against No. 2 seed Washington State, which defeated Stanford in Thursday's quarterfinal.
"
___________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/utah/boxscore/16999

Last edited:
I wanted to see Hadley or LOB run through one of those moving screens set by Lawson just like Kobe ran through Pau at the Olympics.

Looking forward to him missing bunny after bunny against us in the Big XII.

I was playing the long game and resting up! Also 2 kids home from school 2 days in a row means battery levels had to be stabilized
Alec Baldwin GIF

Well I missed the game so I'd get some sleep. Officially old af. Nice of fs1 to only have the last 5 minutes of the first half on the recording
Are you going to be able to make it through an 8:30 tip tonight?

Guess who is right ahead of Utah in the NET? ****ing Virginia. NC State beating them tonight and then rolling over for Carolina might be best outcome in the ACC. What a down year there.

Why do you say that, have you heard of Dana Altman or Andy Enfield or Sean Miller. Pretty openly called those guys out, and always went after them on the court. you use what you can for motivation.
Especially Dana. That goes back to the days Tad was an assistant under Turgeon at Wichita State and Dana was coaching Creighton. Bad blood for 25 years. Enfield he definitely hates and thinks is a punk. Miller I always thought he got along with personally and respected as a player & coach within the game. It's not like Tad is some purist - some of his mentors & best friends in the game (Larry, Self and Calipari) aren't exactly Boy Scouts.

Back