What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Spring Camp Thread

I also will be winging out from the swamp. Fri-Sun. They have a football alum brunch before the game. I’m looking forward to the trip, I think the last time I was there for a spring game I played in it.
I a just got in contact with al old center of our who is making his way out. Should be a fun time!

Optimistic about Woods, would like to see Wester step up as well, I feel like Bentley has hit his ceiling.
Take it with a huge grain of salt, but the state run media (Uncle Neely and the DNVR guys) has been very high on Bentley and the work he's put in. Says he looks amazing and is one of the strongest players on the team. Obviously need to see that translate into his game, but I also think having a better DL should help that ILB group.

I agree though, I'd like to see Wester step up, and I have to think they are going to add more to the front seven, but specifically ILB, after Spring Ball.

When did they stop the Alumni game? I used to stand on the sidelines when my dad played.
Oh man, I remember how much we loved the Alumni game. We would sit down low in the stands and just laugh our asses off. There was some really great fun being had out of the field in those days. I don't recall ever seeing one after about 1988ish(?). But I have a horrible memory for those things.

Optimistic about Woods, would like to see Wester step up as well, I feel like Bentley has hit his ceiling.
Take it with a huge grain of salt, but the state run media (Uncle Neely and the DNVR guys) has been very high on Bentley and the work he's put in. Says he looks amazing and is one of the strongest players on the team. Obviously need to see that translate into his game, but I also think having a better DL should help that ILB group.

I agree though, I'd like to see Wester step up, and I have to think they are going to add more to the front seven, but specifically ILB, after Spring Ball.

I find myself down on the ILB group moreso than the DT's or OL. Bentley is a 5th or 6th year guy, not convinced he is finally going to be P5 quality. Woods is a nice depth piece at LB/S and a great special teamer, but no way is he a legit starting ILB for a P5 team that expects to be good. Let me know when Wester tips the scales over 200lbs.

Coach Hart seems to be resting on the fact he is one of Coach Prime's guys as the ILB group was one of the worst on the team last season and appears to have done next to nothing to improve this season.

I find myself down on the ILB group moreso than the DT's or OL. Bentley is a 5th or 6th year guy, not convinced he is finally going to be P5 quality. Woods is a nice depth piece at LB/S and a great special teamer, but no way is he a legit starting ILB for a P5 team that expects to be good. Let me know when Wester tips the scales over 200lbs.

Coach Hart seems to be resting on the fact he is one of Coach Prime's guys as the ILB group was one of the worst on the team last season and appears to have done next to nothing to improve this season.
I hate to agree with this post, but I do.

Yeah, the DJ Lundy debacle is looming large right now, but I'll wait and see what they do next month when the portal opens again. Recruiting analysts and others are talking about it like it's going to be crazy with the amount of movement, specifically some big time player movement. Hopefully CP found some NIL money to throw at the position so his friend doesn't continue to look like the weak link on the staff.

I'm also intrigued to see what having Warren Sapp on staff looks like when it comes to getting some high level DL on campus.

I like a lot of what they do, but if you take the DNVR commentary at face value, we should expect 15 wins and happily accept 6 wins. Their penchant for positive spin and optimism is unparalleled.
Agreed, which is why I said it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't mind it, though, tbh. There could be a little bit more objectivity, IMO, but as a fan, I'd rather listen to the sunshine pumping all day, every day, than the ignorant criticism that is most of the national narrative.

Agreed, which is why I said it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't mind it, though, tbh. There could be a little bit more objectivity, IMO, but as a fan, I'd rather listen to the sunshine pumping all day, every day, than the ignorant criticism that is most of the national narrative.
To RK's credit he acknowledges it, and indirectly explains that's what they need to be to get the access that they get.

It's why the Shedeur interview with them happened, and why it was so good.

Stopped in the late 70s early 80s when then kept reducing scholarship limits. Not enough players
No Fred. On this, like many of your “contributions” here you couldn’t be more wrong.

I lined up against Big Van Vader aka Leon “Bull Power” White when the former CU and LA Ram guard when he came out for 3 plays at defensive tackle. I couldn’t move him. But he didn’t make any plays, so I call it a win. That was the spring of 89.

We had at least 1 more because Cliff Branch came for the 1990 game and scored a long ball TD against his son.

So please feel free to **** off in your wrongness.

No Fred. On this, like many of your “contributions” here you couldn’t be more wrong.

I lined up against Big Van Vader aka Leon “Bull Power” White when the former CU and LA Ram guard when he came out for 3 plays at defensive tackle. I couldn’t move him. But he didn’t make any plays, so I call it a win. That was the spring of 89.

We had at least 1 more because Cliff Branch came for the 1990 game and scored a long ball TD against his son.

maya rudolph snl GIF

I heard it ended being played after Leon body slammed some kid on the turf one year, true or no?

Watching the recent WOM videos, neither is the answer and Gant isn't either. Non-existent in middle route coverage and consistently getting caught in the wash on runs. Pray to the portal gods to send us at least two serviceable LBs in May.

I've heard good things across the board about Bentley putting in the time, effort and study this year. I did think Bentley closed the season well, and the Dline played incrementally better, but was not good by any means. Therefore, I think Bentley will be good/serviceable, maybe great if a TP stud steps up next to him. I expect Bentley to look very cut, focused, confident, and somewhat "in-charge" at the Spring game. YAK and I had this conversation earlier, but Juju Mitchell was the Buffs best LB last year by a wide margin--that is why he is invited to NY Giants camp, even with all his problems.

I hold out hope for Wester popping with his PFF numbers/last years' production and hopefully be the next guy in should we supplement with TP guy or two. Hopefully, he has done well with the off-season training, weight-room, etc... I'm sure he is still adjusting to Boulder, the scheme, and his new teammates. Communication is huge for the LB group. Although reported that Wester is just behind Woods/Bentley today, I would hope his overall ILB experience allows him to overtake TW. He may be a little smaller than a Prime premium LB transfer, but his film was good--he tackles well, takes good angles and IMO should be able to hang with another capable ILB next to him. I still hold hope for TW, and maybe he carves out a situational role with the ILB's. If he can drop correctly into coverage and confuse/surprise some B-12 QB's, he has a nose for the ball and might situationally produce some big plays--that could be a great weapon. It is just a big jump from S to ILB for any player. I'll be interested to see what he looks like at the Spring game--maybe he has put on some weight maintaining his speed and agility.

Gant was mentioned, but not really by those who have seen a practice. Sounds like depth peice at best. The Frosh LB's sound like they are developing, but I have not heard one called-out for great play (i.e. "XY is just a moster and going to pop").

One thing that comes really to mind with the ILB equation is the Dline. Talent-wise the Dline looks improved (by all accounts it is bigger, more experienced, higher level) all the way across the board. Certainly, they are the most highly-touted infusions. We still need to get Green on campus and he needs to be in shape/ready to go Day 1. If things go to plan, I would imagine that the Dline would be the most noticibly improved unit on the team, except for the Oline remake. If the Dline can be explosive at times, take double-teams, hold the edge, make their share plays and not be bullied 3-5 yards off the LOS, that would make life much easier on the ILBs.

Whoever is back there will look much better than they actually are. If the Dline just improves some, then we need exceptional ILB play. Buffs need to cover both basis, and have depth for injuries. I agree with Lama and others, including the coaches that we have to hit the Spring portal hard and find that guy(s). A Lundy type would be great. That said, I sort of doubt there will be two TP ILB's starting game 1 with just Fall ball under their belts learning the D on the fly. It is not an impossibility, but if CU finds two TP that start, they will be Super-Studs with so much physical speed, skill, tackling ability, etc... that they can learn on the fly and cover any coordination deficiencies--(i.e. I picked the wrong gap/dropped out of position but I recovered and made the tackle for an 8-12 yard gain, not 20+).

This is my long post of the week! Go Buffs!

Last edited:
They obviously like Woods and his versatility. Despite what some people say, he is a good player, but he's not a high level safety. He can still play the position in certain packages, but LB is his potential future in the league, IMO. He's smart, has great football instincts with a nose for the ball, and has solid athleticism for the LB position, but needs to get to around 230 lbs (while maintaining that athleticism) to truly be effective.

Back