What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF
200.gif

The ratings aren't falling, yet. Bowl season could be brutal this year though, with teams struggling to even field rosters. The complete gutting of any semblance of a developmental model is going to quickly take its toll on mid-tier P4 teams and I think you're going to see many fans give up sooner rather than later.

To your point, if they don't pull back on the current free for all environment and put more structure around this, they're going to lose a lot of fanbases. And agreed on going to live games. Most of my weekends are spent at my kids activities and I watch the games when I can later.
Interesting discussion, but until we see falling ratings, there's no great evidence that the public's interest in the sport is dying. A bigger concern for now is the numbers of youth participants dropping. That's got real long term problem written all over it.

You are right that bowl games are really going to be affected by the transfer portal and the playoffs, but that could be more than made up for with an expanded playoff next season.

Glad we could agree that commercials are killing the sport.

What are the metrics you are using to determine the game is dying? Cause by ratings etc., it's not dying. Yes, attendance is an issue, but that's an issue for most sports, not just CFB.

I am glad the kids are getting paid. I just wish the system could be organized and rules enforced. Pure free for all capitalism is rough on the have nots, of which CU is not, but it sure isn't one of the big time haves.

However, my personal desire to go to live games and sit and watch 1 hour of football and 3 hours of commercials is dying. I can go for a bike ride with my kids then watch the whole game and skip the commercials within an hour at home. Tailgating can only keep me going for so long.
I used to think that I would go to every Buff game at Folsom until the day I died. I lived for the six Saturdays in the fall that I got to go to Boulder, hang with my friends, and go see the Buffs. When I decided to move away from Boulder a few years ago, the fact that the Buffs sucked was actually part of the equation.

Sadly (I guess?), what I have learned in that time is that I just do not care as much about seeing games in person. I went to one game this year (Stanford, so there's that) and it just wasn't the same. It wasn't just that game, either. The whole gameday experience does not have the same appeal as it once did.

When I think about it, this extends to other sports as well. I used to go see a hit ton of NBA (I was a season ticket holder) and MLB games. Now, I never go see the former, and I think I went to two live MLB games last year. I still follow and watch (and enjoy) both sports as much as ever.

Last edited:
Pure free for all capitalism is rough on the have nots, of which CU is not, but it sure isn't one of the big time haves.
I’ve had this thought for years: the ultimate determination of “competitiveness” in CF is in the money a program has, not in the games on Saturdays.

I really don’t understand a sport where there’s absolutely no real desire for competitive parity, at all—simply because money governs all. There’s no draft process; the best teams continually get the best players. The same 6-7 teams end up in the Play Off every year. I like the idea of salary caps and real rules and regulations to make the teams and games competitive. CF scheduling is ludicrous, too: non conference games against teams from lower conferences just to pad easy wins.

I’m very glad players are finally getting paid, but it’s a horrible wild west, essentially ungoverned, process with third parties paying players because the schools won’t (beyond scholarships, etc.) Clearly, the market values players beyond the price of their scholarships, and there’s apparently a huge pool of money that players were “never” allowed to participate in before.

Just an early morning rant before I decide to wake up.

What are the metrics you are using to determine the game is dying? Cause by ratings etc., it's not dying. Yes, attendance is an issue, but that's an issue for most sports, not just CFB.

I am glad the kids are getting paid. I just wish the system could be organized and rules enforced. Pure free for all capitalism is rough on the have nots, of which CU is not, but it sure isn't one of the big time haves.

However, my personal desire to go to live games and sit and watch 1 hour of football and 3 hours of commercials is dying. I can go for a bike ride with my kids then watch the whole game and skip the commercials within an hour at home. Tailgating can only keep me going for so long.
To add to your last sentence, I don't feel as knowledgeable on the P5 overall having gone to all the home games this year vs. watching them at home and having 3 on at any time throughout the day.

Interesting discussion, but until we see falling ratings, there's no great evidence that the public's interest in the sport is dying. A bigger concern for now is the numbers of youth participants dropping. That's got real long term problem written all over it.

You are right that bowl games are really going to be affected by the transfer portal and the playoffs, but that could be more than made up for with an expanded playoff next season.

Glad we could agree that commercials are killing the sport.
Some of this is more anecdotal, as I see increasing frustration from fans at all levels. It's not hard to foresee a tipping point where that turns to apathy very soon.

The decreasing numbers of youth players is a huge issue. My son played his first season of tackle this year, and it was amazing to see how many middle schools in the metro area have dropped football, forcing kids into private leagues. I also saw two pretty significant concussion in 9 and 11 year olds that would make anyone second guess signing their kids up.

I’ve had this thought for years: the ultimate determination of “competitiveness” in CF is in the money a program has, not in the games on Saturdays.

I really don’t understand a sport where there’s absolutely no real desire for competitive parity, at all—simply because money governs all. There’s no draft process; the best teams continually get the best players. The same 6-7 teams end up in the Play Off every year. I like the idea of salary caps and real rules and regulations to make the teams and games competitive. CF scheduling is ludicrous, too: non conference games against teams from lower conferences just to pad easy wins.

I’m very glad players are finally getting paid, but it’s a horrible wild west, essentially ungoverned, process with third parties paying players because the schools won’t (beyond scholarships, etc.) Clearly, the market values players beyond the price of their scholarships, and there’s apparently a huge pool of money that players were “never” allowed to participate in before.

Just an early morning rant before I decide to wake up.
Ironically, the kids still aren't getting paid out of that pool of money. Donors have just been tapped to build a second pool.

Ironically, the kids still aren't getting paid out of that pool of money. Donors have just been tapped to build a second pool.
Yep. Though, I was looking at the “pool” as being money boosters/donors might give directly to schools before.

The ratings aren't falling, yet. Bowl season could be brutal this year though, with teams struggling to even field rosters. The complete gutting of any semblance of a developmental model is going to quickly take its toll on mid-tier P4 teams and I think you're going to see many fans give up sooner rather than later.

To your point, if they don't pull back on the current free for all environment and put more structure around this, they're going to lose a lot of fanbases. And agreed on going to live games. Most of my weekends are spent at my kids activities and I watch the games when I can later.
The playoff system and, now, the portal, have all but killed the bowl system. But I get that I’m from a different era when the New Year’s Day bowl games were a big deal.

Part of their problem was they’ve been wandering in the desert of college athletics ever since the South West Conference merged with the Big 8. Lack of revenue from their conference and little exposure hurt recruiting a lot when there were 5 other Texas schools in power 5 conferences. About 10 years ago they decided to get serious about athletics with a new chancellor and some key donors i.e. Tillman Fertitta - UH’s version of T Boone Pickens. They have since built a new $100 million on campus stadium, $20 million dollar football indoor practice field, a $25 million dollar basketball operations center and spent $40 million on the remodeled basketball arena (Fertitta Center). They are in the process of building a $125 million dollar football operations center on the end of their stadium. I got my undergrad at CU and my masters at UH and while CU is always number 1 for me, I do give UH credit for going all in and doing their best they can with trying to be competitive. I think the Big XII will help them and they will be a top 4 or 5 in the conference in a few years. They may not ever win a football natty but I think they have potential to be a consistent top 25 team with their facilities and recruiting location.

They were one of the teams caught on the numerous NCAA scandals resulting is the SWC disbanding. Their problems began in 1986, the penalty came down in 1988 (year probation, 1 yr no TV, 2 year bowl ban,) then they were in hot water again in 1992 for new charges violating the probation. Administration can in and went over the top like CU. IMO, they should have been in the SWC, and should have been in the conversation for the original B12 merger, but they were only one year they were only allowed 15 schollies. Same with all the B-12 exodus of teams over the years. They are sort of like SMU, in that TCU wants Dallas. Here Baylor wants Houston.

Given all the sanctions, they fell light years behind in facilities, etc...

Were these transfers, whose names we’ve barely heard of, on scholarship? If so, then it makes last year performance even more understandable, and, perhaps, more impressive: we played the season something like 10 scholarships short AND we had a bunch of players in that reduced amount of scholarships that none of us even recognize when they transfer out. That supports the idea we were bare bones on players who were capable of even being on the field at all.
He was a W/O

Baby Norvell having trouble with the portal. Apparently fighting off a $600k offer for his QB
Fun read.
“We don’t want to be a farm system for the SEC or the Big 12. That’s what’s happening right now. Those leagues are trying to cherry-pick our best players, and we’re trying our best to keep them in Fort Collins.”

Would read again.

Fun read.

Would read again.
Accepting the reality of being a farm team for big programs has to be the only good path for middling G5 programs who want to improve.

The pitch to high 3* players has to be, "Come play for us right away, put up big numbers, and then you will have the option to go get an even bigger bag in the transfer portal than what they're offering you now to be buried on the depth chart."

Back