What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

College football is big business. Like all enterprises, many actors behave without any scruples. This is especially true for many folks for whom college football is religion.
These NIL people are also signing kids to pretty messed up contracts. Gervon Dexter got a little over 400K in exchange for giving up 15% of his future earnings for the next 25 years.

Sounds like they might have violated Florida law and NIL rules about notifying the university according to this article:

So hopefully he gets out of this but I would imagine there will be more situations like this. Especially, with so many kids coming from poverty and having very little to financial literacy.

Yeah, but to repeat: why are so many of them transferring a second time?

My bet is that after getting stiffed in College Station, a lot of them (and/or their families) ended up in meaningful debt and they needed to take the biggest bag regardless of what they thought of the school. Once they got the credit cards paid off, they are now free to make a decision that accounts for more than just $.

I would say the guys transferring a 2nd time is that they probably did not get the playing time, thus exposure at their 2nd school. CU had Willie Gaines enter the portal yesterday, he was a smaller guy, and it appears Dylan Edwards, Horn, and Kevin Mathis to some degree, sort of filled his role. Also, the other transfer receivers jumped him. So he faced limited playing time at KR/PR or WR.

You are probably right to an extent with the A&M NIL, if they overspent (i.e. credit cards) and the multi-year A&M NIL did not work out, thus debt. So if they transferred and did not see the field, the NIL for this year may be diminished or gone. Plus, they are against it if they still have the NFL dream--you need at least 1 year of prime playing time. I only see NIL being somewhat guaranteed on any level for just a small fraction of players. It is probably 1 year deals. I don't think USC, Oklahoma and a few others would bleed so many good HS recruits, if NIL was guaranteed for every year they are at the school. I think NIL for many is a signing bonus of sorts.

To Medford's point, I don't know how a players union or certification for NIL would work. I suppose the Court's or Feds could force a players union, but that could dilute NIL across all the sports. It would no longer be individual. That is sort of what unions do. IMO, the NCAA would really have to step up and standardize everything. They have not stepped up in years.

IMO, NIL is one factor to these guys, however many still have the NFL as the big $$ dream. Also, the driving force of multiple year NIL $$ is probably exposure. This is why I like Prime's approach--sort of maximum exposure for the team/players good and bad. Prime goes out of his way to give props to a bunch of players. No doubt there are bags out there, but if you want a multi-year bag, IMO you have to come in and prove yourself having a legitimate 2-year shot at substantial playing time, thus exposure for NIL purposes and NFL dreams. For this, the portal could be a better option for some teams, as their NIL funds/contracts are more limited in years. I still think once you are an established team, you need to sign more than 6 HS recruits; but there is no sense bloating a HS signing class with 3*'s, if those players expect multi-year NIL. Most HS guys will expect some playing time, and just transfer if they are somewhat buried on the depth chart.

These NIL people are also signing kids to pretty messed up contracts. Gervon Dexter got a little over 400K in exchange for giving up 15% of his future earnings for the next 25 years.

Sounds like they might have violated Florida law and NIL rules about notifying the university according to this article:

So hopefully he gets out of this but I would imagine there will be more situations like this. Especially, with so many kids coming from poverty and having very little to financial literacy.

That is interesting. I hope he wins, but NIL is sort of the free market wild west, so I am not surprised that a Private Funded NIL would try this.

This is why players need agents.

I think that more than a few of these formerly highly rated HS recruits that are lower than they expected to be on depth charts realize that the chances of getting to The League look more slim than they initially thought. So they're going portal in hopes of getting some (more) NIL $$.

I think that more than a few of these formerly highly rated HS recruits that are lower than they expected to be on depth charts realize that the chances of getting to The League look more slim than they initially thought. So they're going portal in hopes of getting some (more) NIL $$.
I think there’s some of that, but I also think there’s finally some realization that sitting the bench or playing special teams for a football factory isn’t going to get you to the league and their priority shifts to actually playing.

For the first time since the playoff started I think there were at least 6 teams who could have won the national championship (had Jordan Travis not gotten hurt), and another 3-4 that probably could have beaten any of those 6 on a given Saturday. The parity that’s being created is real and is only going to accelerate

I think there’s some of that, but I also think there’s finally some realization that sitting the bench or playing special teams for a football factory isn’t going to get you to the league and their priority shifts to actually playing.

For the first time since the playoff started I think there were at least 6 teams who could have won the national championship (had Jordan Travis not gotten hurt), and another 3-4 that probably could have beaten any of those 6 on a given Saturday. The parity that’s being created is real and is only going to accelerate
Yep. Let's be honest- the guys sitting on the bench aren't getting big NIL deals anyway. They're looking for opportunity.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

If there is any position that needs NIL in college it's RB. Their NFL contracts are shrinking because teams have realized you can run them into the ground and replace with a younger guy who has taken less hits. A guy who has scored 15 touchdowns his first two seasons needs to start getting paid for his production now, he's already proven he is a valuable NFL commodity so any extra touches are just going to add mileage to the odometer.

If there is any position that needs NIL in college it's RB. Their NFL contracts are shrinking because teams have realized you can run them into the ground and replace with a younger guy who has taken less hits. A guy who has scored 15 touchdowns his first two seasons needs to start getting paid for his production now, he's already proven he is a valuable NFL commodity so any extra touches are just going to add mileage to the odometer.
Average career of an NFL RB is 2.57 years - lowest in the League. They have a larger impact on college games anyway. They should get paid. Especially since they're always in a balancing act of wanting to compete & show out while also knowing that NFL teams get scared off when their college usage & mileage gets too high.

College RB's will be paid for the perceived market value of their college production. It will be completely unrelated to what they may or may not make in the NFL.

The fact that Judkins is transferring even though he is for sure their RB1 and that Ole Miss has been this year's FSU in the transfer portal spending, and they are going to be preseason top 5 and a playoff favorite in 2024, tells me that Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc likely decided to throw QB-level NIL money at him.

The fact that Judkins is transferring even though he is for sure their RB1 and that Ole Miss has been this year's FSU in the transfer portal spending, and they are going to be preseason top 5 and a playoff favorite in 2024, tells me that Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc likely decided to throw QB-level NIL money at him.
Or.... Ole Miss is adopting the NFL model that RBs can be plug and play if you have a good OL & QB, so they're willing to spend their NIL $ elsewhere.

Not saying I believe this, but I could see Kiffen getting there.

Back