What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

That's weird.
High School QB recruiting is going to be weird going forward. Sure, the elite programs will still bring them in because they can, but more often than not, I would bet they don't stay around at those places.

Nelson trying to go to another big program where he definitely won't be guaranteed a starting job risks sitting the bench again and being forgotten about. He needs to go somewhere that he's going to be QB1 from day one, even if it's G5 or low level P5. If he balls out, he can then be the big QB fish in the transfer portal where the elite programs will be after him again.

High School QB recruiting is going to be weird going forward. Sure, the elite programs will still bring them in because they can, but more often than not, I would bet they don't stay around at those places.

Nelson trying to go to another big program where he definitely won't be guaranteed a starting job risks sitting the bench again and being forgotten about. He needs to go somewhere that he's going to be QB1 from day one, even if it's G5 or low level P5. If he balls out, he can then be the big QB fish in the transfer portal where the elite programs will be after him again.

What I heard/read was that Nelson was that USC coaches told he was multiple years away from being ready to play for USC. On the heals of that he is visiting BSU out of the gate. I sure looks like he was a wee tad overrated by the recruiting services and the coaching staffs recruiting him. If he does go to BSU and play early then he probably makes a great decision even if it might be tough to swallow.

What I heard/read was that Nelson was that USC coaches told he was multiple years away from being ready to play for USC. On the heals of that he is visiting BSU out of the gate. I sure looks like he was a wee tad overrated by the recruiting services and the coaching staffs recruiting him. If he does go to BSU and play early then he probably makes a great decision even if it might be tough to swallow.
Right. That's kind of my point. How many true freshman QBs are ready to take over for national championship dreaming programs? It's one thing to get playing time mid way through the year at ASU, but very few elite programs are going to roll with an unknown commodity at QB, even if they are RS Freshman.

So for most elite HS QB prospects, I think the choices going forward are:

1. Commit to blue blood and hope that they simply beat out the competition that likely includes an elite transfer that the program is paying $1m+

2. Commit to a mid to low level P5 or G5 with a much higher likelihood, if not guarantee, that you're QB1 early on and then either stay or transfer from there.

Either way, I think the portal has completely changed the QB position from a recruiting standpoint, more than any other position.

College RB's will be paid for the perceived market value of their college production. It will be completely unrelated to what they may or may not make in the NFL.
Agreed, and it may be that the value of a good RB in college is more important than in the NFL so the market is different.

In the NFL you will be viewed as an interchangeable commodity. That means that while you are in college you need to either (1) maximize your earnings given your production, or (2) showcase that you belong in the NFL while minimizing the physical toll on your body.

This is true for all positions but more so for RB's.

Programs that have less NIL or want to be perceived as player friendly can use this to their advantage by not overusing players where another program would. I'm venturing into speculation but this is consistent with what we saw with Alton McCaskill. Sure, he's recovering from injury but he still might have represented an upgrade over some of the RB's that received PT last year. And if he puts down good tape this year it doesn't matter what he looked like last year. In fact, NFL teams may value him more due to the fact he didn't take any contact last year.

This post is starting to get to long, but I think of Todd Gurley's career. The dude was a stud with major production (and also extreme usage) his first three years at Georgia. His production was worth millions to Georgia. Of course, the NCAA investigates him for receiving $3,000 for signing memorabilia. To make it more tragic his NFL career was undoubtedly shortened by his extreme usage in college which lead to wear and tear on his body.

Right. That's kind of my point. How many true freshman QBs are ready to take over for national championship dreaming programs? It's one thing to get playing time mid way through the year at ASU, but very few elite programs are going to roll with an unknown commodity at QB, even if they are RS Freshman.

1. Commit to blue blood and hope that they simply beat out the competition that likely includes an elite transfer that the program is paying $1m+

2. Commit to a mid to low level P5 or G5 with a much higher likelihood, if not guarantee, that you're QB1 early on and then either stay or transfer from there.

Either way, I think the portal has completely changed the QB position from a recruiting standpoint, more than any other position.
Let me add point 1.5 above, which I think is the best option

1.5 Commit to a program loaded with cash who thinks they are a blueblood, and thinks they are close to being elite (but they are not). Take a giant amount of Loot off their hands (much more than a "low level P5 or G5) in exchange for being guaranteed their QB1 spot on day 1. Then transfer to a real contender for year 2.

(I might be thinking of the Nebraska program here and the money us US taxpayers subsidize their farmers to hand over their wads to the NU AD, but let's not get off track here).

Really makes you think about all the kids who spent their college careers just sitting on the bench wishing they could go somewhere else, before the transfer gates opened wide.

At least now they get that second (or third) chance. Makes for real chaos, though.

Really makes you think about all the kids who spent their college careers just sitting on the bench wishing they could go somewhere else, before the transfer gates opened wide.

At least now they get that second (or third) chance. Makes for real chaos, though.
Imagine how much talent was stashed and never got a shot back when the limit was 105 or then 95 along with the restrictive transfer rules back then.

Back