What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 winter workouts

The Marines are back
full metal jacket GIF

Sounds like there were some 7 v 7 and the DL and OL went at it without pads.

Taurean Carter wasn't happy, at the end he tells Benson "They hurt anybody, imma beat your azz" Benson - "Stay tuned"

I can't wait for pads and the season.

Last edited:
What don’t you get about it?
Just seems like a gimmick. Marines inculcate this stuff into their very beings. The football team is going to do this a handful of times and then it’ll be forgotten. It won’t help with their performance. It won’t help with Xs and Os. The stuff they were doing was specifically formulated for the battlefield. Not a single college student is going to take a week of the marines doing with them and internalize it.

As far as “crap” - it means stuff. Not that it’s crappy.

But you all splooge over this as you see fit.

Just seems like a gimmick. Marines inculcate this stuff into their very beings. The football team is going to do this a handful of times and then it’ll be forgotten. It won’t help with their performance. It won’t help with Xs and Os. The stuff they were doing was specifically formulated for the battlefield. Not a single college student is going to take a week of the marines doing with them and internalize it.

I think we are all in agreement they aren’t going to war and won’t use the specific drills or CFT in the football season, but it’s about doing hard **** in a teamwork format that is entirely different from their day to day football workouts (emphasis on teamwork).

It’s like putting on a retreat and hiring a motivational speaker for corporate teams. It just gets people working toward the same cause, doing the same unique thing in an isolated format.

Nobody is splooging over it, just check the thread, guy.

I think we are all in agreement they aren’t going to war and won’t use the specific drills or CFT in the football season, but it’s about doing hard **** in a teamwork format that is entirely different from their day to day football workouts (emphasis on teamwork).

It’s like putting on a retreat and hiring a motivational speaker for corporate teams. It just gets people working toward the same cause, doing the same unique thing in an isolated format.

Nobody is splooging over it, just check the thread, guy.
We used to bring guys/groups like this into offseason workouts when I coached. These guys were basically saying and teaching the same things we were. After hearing it over and over from us though, players would tune us out. It was crazy to watch the team lock onto to something and really buy in to something they had heard 100 times before simply because they were hearing it from a different source, in a different way.

Hope that made sense. Haven't had my coffee yet.

Last edited:
We used to bring guys/groups like this into offseason workouts when I coached. These guys were basically saying and teaching the same things we were. After hearing it over and over from us though, players would tune us out. It was crazy to watch the team lock onto to something and really buy in to something they had heard 100 times before simply because they were hearing it from a different source, in a different way.

Hope that made since. Haven't had my coffee yet.
There is an old saying that the reason you bring a consultant into your company is because the opinion doesn't matter unless it originates from at least 100 miles away.

Hope that made sense. Haven't had my coffee yet.
made since what?

Bringing in outside voices is fairly common in large organizations. The workouts may seem cliche however it was a deliberate choice to have that specific messaging (since one could have chosen from any number of prospective options). If an organization is well run the messaging will be consistent from both internal and external voices, with the latter existing to combat the tuning out effect.

Last edited:

The one thing that I got from the videos of them doing the Marine stuff is how when the guy in charge stepped up and starting talking, we had a good number of guys "rocking back and forth", not looking him in the eyes, distracted, even whispering to each other, etc... All the talk about Discipline, and trying to eliminate penalties and false starts cannot be cured with guys that cannot truly FOCUS 100% on the task at hand. It is a minor detail, but it is hard for guys these days with a million things going on and their phones in their faces to really clear their heads and focus completely on a single task with every fiber of their being. That is the only thing that I wish they would get out of someone so awesome as the Marine leaders and they way they hold themselves, and talk and make eye contact. Pretty cool. Total side story, but when I was playing high level club soccer and we were winning state titles and going to regionals or even national invitational tournaments, we played against a Japanese Club team that came over to the US to play in a top tournament. At halftime, the team went to their bench, half sat on the bench, the other half stood behind the bench in perfect order, with full attention on the coach, and had a clear and concise discussion about adjustments for the second half. Meanwhile, our sweeper was hungover and puking behind our bench.

The one thing that I got from the videos of them doing the Marine stuff is how when the guy in charge stepped up and starting talking, we had a good number of guys "rocking back and forth", not looking him in the eyes, distracted, even whispering to each other, etc... All the talk about Discipline, and trying to eliminate penalties and false starts cannot be cured with guys that cannot truly FOCUS 100% on the task at hand. It is a minor detail, but it is hard for guys these days with a million things going on and their phones in their faces to really clear their heads and focus completely on a single task with every fiber of their being. That is the only thing that I wish they would get out of someone so awesome as the Marine leaders and they way they hold themselves, and talk and make eye contact. Pretty cool. Total side story, but when I was playing high level club soccer and we were winning state titles and going to regionals or even national invitational tournaments, we played against a Japanese Club team that came over to the US to play in a top tournament. At halftime, the team went to their bench, half sat on the bench, the other half stood behind the bench in perfect order, with full attention on the coach, and had a clear and concise discussion about adjustments for the second half. Meanwhile, our sweeper was hungover and puking behind our bench.
Who won?

We actually won the game from what I remember.
They were very skilled, but not physical, and we bullied them around and put in a few goals, including some headers, since they lacked height.
We all should have laid off the Wild Turkey the night before, but when you are 17 and really stupid, what you gonna do.
I really respected the heck out of them and I am an admirer of Asian Culture and discipline. I even had a Chinese College Coach that gave me a new appreciation of early advanced statistics to help understand if your game is effective or sloppy

Back