What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

We can and we will.
Some of last year's Freshman WR's must be leaving. I think we are at 13 scholarship WR's already counting Bell. I said in an earlier post MLC, Robinson, and Bell look like they have been recruited over but experience from MLC might trump athletic ability of some of the Freshman for at least half a season.

Some of last year's Freshman WR's must be leaving. I think we are at 13 scholarship WR's already counting Bell. I said in an earlier post MLC, Robinson, and Bell look like they have been recruited over but experience from MLC might trump athletic ability of some of the Freshman for at least half a season.
I read on here that with the fast paced offense our OC is gonna run, a large group of WR’s is essential. Can anyone back me up on that?

We’re gonna welcome as many WR’s as we can get.

I read on here that with the fast paced offense our OC is gonna run, a large group of WR’s is essential. Can anyone back me up on that?

We’re gonna welcome as many WR’s as we can get.
At some point you simply can't take more WR's. Unless you plan to line them up at Defensive End also.

Not to Mention Hunter will probably run about 10 routes per game out of the DB position.

We’ll likely start seeing a lot more defensive players added between now and February.
85 Scholarships is 85 scholarships is what my point is. I don't think you can have 13 WR's on scholarship plus take more plus play Hunter at WR also. The scholarship depth at DL/LB/OL will take a hit. Someone had mentioned perhaps some of the ATH/WR's might get moved to DB but as we stand right now we are already over the Scholarship Limit allowed by I think 3 counting todays 2 Defensive players taken.

The offense will need 19-20 scholarship WRs with about 12-15 playing every game. With injuries and competition, it works out.
Show me another Roster that carries 19-20 Scholarship WR's. Thats 20 percent of your scholarships to WR Room. I could see 19-20 including TE's though. Probably need 5-6 TE's on the roster typically.

There are 11 guys on the field for every play. You have 85 scholarships spilt between offense and defense. That's almost 4 scholarships for each player on the field as your baseline goal. (Yes, that's 88 players, and 90 if you add the punter and kicker, but natural attrition will generally keep you at 85, so you generally manage to the 4 scholarships / player on the field.)

If your offense averages having 3.5 WRs on the field for each offensive play, that's 14 scholarship receivers. If you generally have one TE on the field too, that's 4 TEs, so 18 WR + TE.

20 linemen, 4 QBs, 4 RBs (presuming you rarely have 2 on the field at the same time, or have zero on the field as many times as you have 2) rounds out the offense.

Yes, that's too many total, but again, natural random atrition will keep you under the total limit, so those are the numbers you target.

Prime said around 12 in the position meeting. Give or take and there might be 14-15, but 19-20 is too many. Coleman, Hooks and that Tesla kid probably the last

Prime said around 12 in the position meeting. Give or take and there might be 14-15, but 19-20 is too many. Coleman, Hooks and that Tesla kid probably the last
My general thought on offense is that your goal is 16-20 OL, 3-4 QBs, and 18-22 WR + TE + RB, with the ratio of WR/TE/RB dependent on your offensive philosophy.

Of course, that assumes you have an offensive philosophy towards which you recruit. It's something we haven't seen in a long time, and I'm glad to finally see evidence of one.

Going 11-12 deep versus 15 deep at WR in 2023 is not going to make or break the season.

Ahhhh, but we can't be certain of that.

3 transfer out, down to 12. Two switch to DB, 10...

3 major injuries, down to 7. Two just hurt for a game, at 5. 4WR sets cause issues then.

I'm certain they have a rhyme and reason as to why they are selecting who they are.

Ahhhh, but we can't be certain of that.

3 transfer out, down to 12. Two switch to DB, 10...

3 major injuries, down to 7. Two just hurt for a game, at 5. 4WR sets cause issues then.

I'm certain they have a rhyme and reason as to why they are selecting who they are.

Maybe. Not a huge fan of taking multi-year transfers at WR in general. You can recruit over the bottom of the depth chart at that position every year much more easily than most positions.

Back