What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 FL CB Cormani McClain (Signed to COLORADO)

Hopefully he goes full Hogtown in Gainesville. But I think the Devil’s Millhopper in the details of his daily efforts.

I just figured y’all could use some links to see just how much of a Skeeter’s big biscuit those puns are.
1715732277307.jpeg

Is this a way around the scholarship limit? Move in-state players to NIL?

Good point.... it seems NIL could make the scholarship limit nearly irrelevant.

One point... I do recall during COVID that some conferences had rules that a team had to field a certain number of SCHOLARSHIP players or forfeit. I'm not clear if there are any other rules and policies that make similar distinctions between scholarship players and walk ons that could be a limiting factor towards NIL replacing scholarships.

Good point.... it seems NIL could make the scholarship limit nearly irrelevant.

One point... I do recall during COVID that some conferences had rules that a team had to field a certain number of SCHOLARSHIP players or forfeit. I'm not clear if there are any other rules and policies that make similar distinctions between scholarship players and walk ons that could be a limiting factor towards NIL replacing scholarships.
No it doesn't walk ons do not have the same privileges as scholarship players

Believe it’s NCAA but has to do with allowed meals, tutoring, etc.
Spent five minutes googling and found nothing on this. TIA if you can post any links to credible sources.

edit: giving some reflection, it's a real kick in the face for the NCAA to say to walk-ons: "not only do you have to pay your way, but we're going to limit your access to food and academic support as well", especially in pre-NIL days. I mean, that's just harsh.

Last edited:
As I recall all those rules disappeared after CU was punished for letting walkons eat like scholarship players.
I remember there used to be some crazy rules like maybe you could let a walkon have a bagel, but it was an NCAA violation if you gave him a packet of cream cheese to go with it.

As I recall all those rules disappeared after CU was punished for letting walkons eat like scholarship players.
TIA if you can post links to any credible sources on this topic. Seeing a lot of "I recall.... I believe... " on this topic; Corey is the only one posting definitive statements and he doesn't have any sources (yet).

per my edit above, it seems really cold blooded for the NCAA to limit access to food and academic support for players who already have to fund their own education. not to suggest the NCAA hasn't been cold blooded, but, damn!

TIA if you can post links to any credible sources on this topic. Seeing a lot of "I recall.... I believe... " on this topic; Corey is the only one posting definitive statements and he doesn't have any sources (yet).

per my edit above, it seems really cold blooded for the NCAA to limit access to food and academic support for players who already have to fund their own education. not to suggest the NCAA hasn't been cold blooded, but, damn!
CU football was penalized by the NCAA for providing food to walk-ons about 20 years ago. That's what people remember. We also remember that CU self reported and accepted a penalty (scholarship reduction iirc). Soon after, tOSU got reported for the same thing, fought the NCAA, and the NCAA decided to change the rule and not penalize them.

Lazy f*ck.

Council approves meals, other student-athlete well-being rules

NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions Penalizes University of Colorado, Boulder

CU football was penalized by the NCAA for providing food to walk-ons about 20 years ago. That's what people remember. We also remember that CU self reported and accepted a penalty (scholarship reduction iirc). Soon after, tOSU got reported for the same thing, fought the NCAA, and the NCAA decided to change the rule and not penalize them.

thanks

reading up on this, meals are and were an allowable part of scholarships, but CU was giving walk-on's the same meals as athletes but only charging them for normal student dorm rates. the NCAA considered that the same as undercharging for tuition and viewed it as an attempt to get around the scholarship limit by giving walk-on's those benefits. I guess that's aligned with what the NCAA was trying to accomplish with scholarship limits back in the day -- they weren't saying the walk-on's couldn't eat the same meals, they were just saying walk-on's had to pay (full price) for them like other non-scholarship students.

and I'm totally guilty of being a lazy ****

Back