What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 MBB Team

Good news! Your #1 will probably play at the Keg next year.

Just not for us.

Trilly just projected him to Tech.
Idris Elba Table Flip GIF

1) Trent Perry GOTTA STAY AT TOP OF TADs LIST!

2) Jason Nelson (see below): best fit, including may not need starter minutes-as at 5’10 knows his role may be as third guard. A-10 Frosh (redshirt frosh) of year at Richmond, averaged 8 & 2A. 19 minutes as Sophmore at VCU, averaged only 5Pts, 1.7A & 1.5R w/ .33 3Pt & .79 FT. Capable of big increases in right situation-including he would be around 1 year after Julian. He’s great on D to defend smaller/quicker guards in Big12-that we may not have anyone on the roster who can defend otherwise? He’s a true PtG & great playmaker, who gets easy paint touches, finishes great at the rim, good mid-range game, & 3Pt probably keeps improving.

2.5) PS:Fact that Tad picked 3 transfers that have character/IQ & toughness-makes me think he’s prioritizing those program-characteristics in any upper-class men he brings.

3) KK Robinson - like "JayNel" above has the high character/playmaking/paint touches/decent shooter/rebounds at PtG - that Tad likes. KK maybe little less explosive on D than Jason Nelson, but KK maybe little quicker over-all than JayNel? These 2 starting-caliber point-guards seem more likely that CU would be able to land?

Yes this is a bumpy road but I think you are underestimating how CU will do in the Big 12. The Big 12 is taking a step back this upcoming season. They lose two 20+ win teams in OU & UT. BYU just lost Pope and they still have West Coast Conference recruited players on their roster especially with players coming back from two year missions. We have a 3-3 record against them all time. We are not playing UCLA & UW anymore and those are two Pac-12 schools that we have losing records against. No doubt UCF & Cincinnati are still cycling out their AAC recruited players but I'm not expecting much success against the Bearcats over the long term though. We still have a 15-11 record against Baylor and they don't scare me like Houston. We should be fine with TCU & TT. Iowa State looks strong next season and looking at our Big 8-12 history, the only school that we beat more consistently than ISU is Nebraska which is the only Big 8 school we have a winning record against all time.

And we are coming off a 26 win season. Only one overall losing season under Tad. You need to have the benefit of the doubt about Tad's ability to guide CU to another 20-ish win season next season. We are not beating Houston, ISU, Arizona, KU, and probably KSU next season. The rest of them? We have a chance especially in Boulder.
Baylor
I appreciate all the posts on up-coming BIG-12, & agree w/ a lot of what PAC MAN says here, but have to take most other posters side that CU just not at the same level as Baylor: They've had Top-5 recruiting classes 2 years in a row now/ Scott Drew known as one of the most passionate coaches/ runs environment of "Joy & Faith" (prays w/ his players every day; and many guys want that)/ he's shown elite willingness to adjust his style of play to accommodate players-moving from D-oriented in Championship team a few years ago to 5-Out O last year. All that being said, I tend to agree w/ JUMP SHIP poster that CU may prove to have an unexpected edge over Baylor & maybe even BYU's play-style/ current players (both teams offensive-oriented; Tad's team's may out-defend both of them?).

BYU
Their new NBA-coach makes them biggest unknown in BIG-12? He's known as great players-coach, develops guys well/ and puts guys in position to best use their strengths, but will he prove to be adapt at recruiting a bunch of HS/ college transfer kids? To start, he's got a mostly offensive-oriented team w/ only 3 transfer spots.

BIG-12's Tier 1 (5 current?):
-Kansas/Houston/Baylor/Iowa St & Arizona are the obvious juggernauts of the conference. Iowa St passed Houston for #1 D nationally, & both dominate-team-D.
-Baylor too much talent to not stay in Top-10 Nationally w/ KU, Houston & maybe Iowa St? Arizona's roster I'm not sold on yet, but they brought in a couple beasts in Stephen & Awaka to play behind their 2 European 7-footers. So history and great coaching tells us they're probably Top-25 nationally & Top-5 in Big-12.

- 2nd Tier is where it gets interesting (& likely unpredictable) (4 current; for 9 to tourney?):
-Cinci & UCF surprised, as coaches are Dean Smith (play-the-right-way/D-&-Rbding-1st/ like Tad is). Cinci's roster stronger; UCF with 5 Open Spots & good Gs.
-TX Tech & new WV coaches are both very-strong defensively also. Tech's roster stronger, but lost a lot- 5 open spots still. WV has 6 open spots & a bare cupboard.
-K-State's Tang surprisingly lost a lot, but getting strong returns in portal (still has 4-5 spots, depending on if Kaluma withdraws from NBA by 6/16). Tang not only elite recruiter, but already known as elite in giving keys to his guards to have freedom to run the show (which Tad is also a little lesser known for).
- I put CU -as similar to K-State- in having good coaching & program strength to put good balance of D & O on the floor. CU's toughness biggest question? Cincci & Tx Tech (based on last year) seem strongly in 2nd Tier w/ K-State/CU next? Currently, UCF & BYU (maybe Utah & ASU) seem to have best chance to rise to Tier 2?

-3rd Tier (7 current?):
-Yes, UCF & W Virginia probably more squarely down here (especially w/ WV's brand new coach w/ a lot to prove). OSU's brand new coach keeps them in cellar?
-Utah & ASU will certainly be fighting to belong in 2nd Tier. Utah lost a lot in backcourt(2 spots open). ASU impressively brought in '24 #8 Nationally Big Quaintance!
-BYU & TCU obviously finished in 1st & 2nd Tiers in recent years, but both severely-lacking on D. Both w/ lots of turn-over. TCU w/ 1 Spot & SmallFs to defend PowerFs(like CU?). Until their D raises to high level of their O, could be a struggle to pass 9 teams (that are most likely to get Tourney bids?) in Tier's 1 & 2 above?
-Strong argument can be made that coaching could push BYU/TCU closer to Tier 2, before Utah/ASU? I might pick UCF & BYU-over Cinnci-for 10(vs 9) in tourney?

PS: Cinci's Big Bandaogo seems mostly-likely to withdraw from NBA draft by 6/16 (no agent hired; so retains eligibility) vs.KU's Fruphy/Zona's Love/ K-St's Kaluma? Bandaogo returning may put Cinci more solidly in Top-9? But may be hard year for ANYONE to predict BIG-12 w/ high-roster-turnover & 4-Corner Teams joining?
PSS: Depth of front-courts are not overly-intimidating for CU (after Malone), outside of: KU/Arizona/Iowa St/ASU/Utah. Houston & Baylor do have great length!

@Luke I agree about Baylor and they have a lot of momentum going on with not only the draft picks but a new arena that just opened this year. Maybe I was thinking they were more like Oregon where they still brought in the players and have top notch facilities but we still beat them more often than not. We might have some unexpected success against other Big 12 teams like Oregon & USC. And you should know how CU fans here feel about Baylor and it might rub off on the MBB team.

Yes we are entering a conference where there are more teams that traditionally took basketball more seriously than in football and it is reasonable to expect CU to move down the standings but hey we are in much better of shape program-wise than when we entered the Pac-12 and especially where we were at in the late 2000's. There's also the question of how much longer Tad will coach in Boulder but I'm thinking once Rick George retires as the CU AD, Tad should get that AD job and he totally deserves it because he kept the overall CU fanbase from falling apart during those lean times in football by having competitive MBB teams at CU. If not, I think we need to have some faith in RG to hire Tad's replacement...he certainly aced that hire in WBB.

There's also the question of how much longer Tad will coach in Boulder but I'm thinking once Rick George retires as the CU AD, Tad should get that AD job and he totally deserves it because he kept the overall CU fanbase from falling apart during those lean times in football by having competitive MBB teams at CU. If not, I think we need to have some faith in RG to hire Tad's replacement...he certainly aced that hire in WBB.
Confused Fantasy Football GIF by DraftKings

1.) When Tad retires, he's RETIRING. Dude is going to go enjoy life. He's not becoming AD.
2.) If we ever want to be a real athletic department, we need to hire a real athletic director. What in Tad's past makes you think he would be a good AD? Especially in this current climate in which football drives everything - especially at a school like CU. It's a horrible ****ing idea and I'm at the point where I would rather discuss our non-existent chances with Trent Perry than continue to discuss this.
3.) The thought of RG retiring made me insanely happy. So thank you for that.
4.) The thought of RG hiring a new basketball coach makes me want to invent a device to stab people through the internet.

1.) When Tad retires, he's RETIRING. Dude is going to go enjoy life. He's not becoming AD.
2.) If we ever want to be a real athletic department, we need to hire a real athletic director. What in Tad's past makes you think he would be a good AD? Especially in this current climate in which football drives everything - especially at a school like CU. It's a horrible ****ing idea and I'm at the point where I would rather discuss our non-existent chances with Trent Perry than continue to discuss this.
4.) The thought of RG hiring a new basketball coach makes me want to invent a device to stab people through the internet.
I think Bloom is the most likely next AD if he truly wants it.

#4 - Totally agree. Also, reading posts from Pac Man and Luke in this thread give me similar thoughts.

Well I’m happy to not be stabbed through the internet! 😃✌🏽

On-3’s Top-10 portal Pt Gs. Still like under-the-radar KK Robinson & Jason Nelson!
I like 247’s ratings of PtGs better-below. Interesting story on #8 Ty-Laur Johnson (KJ-like quickness): he refused to play 1st half of game, as team didn’t have pressure leggings he wanted for injured leg. He ended up playing 2nd half anyway. Coach called him out to media after-ward, saying: “this is what it’s like with players, nowadays.” WOW, something tells me he’s not High Character Guy that Tad seems to prioritize! 🤪🫶🏽

Anybody know who the best D3 point guard was last year? Maybe we could hit the lower-level transfer trifecta!

Hate to break it to you folks, but Tad let it be known last week that they are done with the recruiting process for this class. We did get the announcement of Elijah Malone a few days later. But I'm confident that one was in the bag already. So there could be a PG in the bag as well I suppose.

But I'm confident Tad is not still looking for any players who will be here for fall 2024.

Hate to break it to you folks, but Tad let it be known last week that they are done with the recruiting process for this class. We did get the announcement of Elijah Malone a few days later. But I'm confident that one was in the bag already. So there could be a PG in the bag as well I suppose.

But I'm confident Tad is not still looking for any players who will be here for fall 2024.
Poop Bury GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

694348cd-da3c-47ba-84f5-1048eb281a02_text.gif

This is what I assumed at this point honestly. I think they're gonna keep the scholarship for an George King type situation.

This is what I assumed at this point honestly. I think they're gonna keep the scholarship for an George King type situation.
You mean a McKinley Wright type situation? Does Dayton have a PG recruit and do they need to fire their coach suddenly for some reason?

I don't care how good our front court could be next year, we're going to get absolutely cooked because of our guards. The backcourt we have is probably only good enough to get this team to 13-14 wins max next season.

Last edited:
I like Hammond. He's a solid player with a reliable jump shot, some physicality & toughness, and is a much needed veteran presence on the court and in the locker room this season.

But if we go into this season thinking he's going to be the straw that stirs the drink, we're gonna suck. He's not that guy. What he is on a good team is the first guard off the bench giving 20ish minutes per game.

I like Hammond. He's a solid player with a reliable jump shot, some physicality & toughness, and is a much needed veteran presence on the court and in the locker room this season.

But if we go into this season thinking he's going to be the straw that stirs the drink, we're gonna suck. He's not that guy. What he is on a good team is the first guard off the bench giving 20ish minutes per game.
Vote Yes GIF

Back