1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24/7 Sports and recruiting coverage

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Duff Man, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

You will notice we are putting links to the new 24/7 sports recruiting coverage in player profiles now. They might very well replace rivals here sooner rather than later, Alabama's rivals site essentially just switched over. Most of the head honchos at 24/7 Sports used to be at rivals.

24/7 should give us really good coverage on Texas recruiting and maybe California in the future. As of now, rivals still does the best job locally.

Just something to keep an eye on. Rivals, Scout, ESPN, and 24/7 cannot all survive. One or two are going to die out.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

247 Sports is going to need a partner in sports media or they'll probably never get past the burn rate phase in their business. They're growing like crazy, though.

Rivals is paired up with yahoo.
    Scout is paired up with Fox Sports.
    ESPN is actually a takeover of Scouts Inc. that's now renamed ESPN Recruiting.
    MaxPreps is paired up with CBS Sports.

CNN/SI writes on the topic of recruiting a lot, but doesn't have a proprietary database ranking system. I could see them going after 247.

PrepStar is still out there and independent, but it looks like they're going to die.

P.S. As an FYI that adds a little flavor to the Rivals/247 competition.... The 247 founder also founded Rivals, did that deal with yahoo, and his non-compete is over. He put the 247 offices in the same building in Tennessee where the Rivals home office is. It's a pretty aggressive situation, obviously.

3. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I hear AOL is adding content.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

CNN/SI is an AOL Time Warner company. 247 would be a great acquisition target for them. I don't think they can do this well on their own.

5. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

makes perfect sense as an exit strategy.

6. o_robbie

o_robbie I don't think before I post

Sweet. The more competition the better for news/updates/visits. YES!