What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Signed to CU '24 DC OT Jordan Seaton

My take: Seaton really wants to play for Prime and CU. However the "Bag" being presented in front of him may be too large to pass up. I feel this way, because he was very convincing during is announcement on Firsttake.
and because it's logical. . . CU should be everyone's choice, but 7 figures is life changing money.

Prime's 'NFL over NIL' is honorable, but not realistic.

Another part of this is generally people don't know OL names, they know the flashy players (QB/RB/WR). If your going to market yourself, you have to keep your name relevant. If he signed right away, none of us are likely doing much more than half naked women dancing gifs.

That is not to say that he is for sure coming to Colorado, just saying he is playing his name up to stay relevant.

and because it's logical. . . CU should be everyone's choice, but 7 figures is life changing money.

It is life changing but how many of these young kids are going to piss it away? I also foresee tax issues down the road too.

The complication with CP’s “NFL over NIL” is that it loses most of its horsepower when the player rates as elite and is expected to get both.

If Seaton really is the second coming of Orlando Pace then the “NFL or NIL” is a false problem.

This makes hyperbole look modest.
This possibility was floated the other day by manhattanbuff. You could modify it by just saying “the highest rated OT in this year’s recruiting class” I suppose, and my point would still stand.

This makes hyperbole look modest.
Specific HOF player comps are pretty ridiculous, for sure, but the projection of talent is the point and he’s been projected as a 1st round, possibly top 5, pick one day. Extremely athletic, strong, smart and prepped at the best HS program in the country.

Specific HOF player comps are pretty ridiculous, for sure, but the projection of talent is the point and he’s been projected as a 1st round, possibly top 5, pick one day. Extremely athletic, strong, smart and prepped at the best HS program in the country.
One would think this would make the NIL cash mean less to him. I'm sure he would still be getting something from CU.

One would think this would make the NIL cash mean less to him. I'm sure he would still be getting something from CU.
But it’s the appeal of life changing money now AND the NFL eventually or less money now and NFL eventually. That’s why NFL not NIL doesn’t really resonate for blue chip kids.

The decision, as Manhattan explained, is about whether to take the massive amount of upfront cash or take a less up front and bet on yourself/trust CP that you’re going to get the real money from corporations when you ball out.

But it’s the appeal of life changing money now AND the NFL eventually or less money now and NFL eventually. That’s why NFL not NIL doesn’t really resonate for blue chip kids.

The decision, as Manhattan explained, is about whether to take the massive amount of upfront cash or take a less up front and bet on yourself/trust CP that you’re going to get the real money from corporations when you ball out.
It really makes me wonder how long these cash battles can be sustained.

Another part of this is generally people don't know OL names, they know the flashy players (QB/RB/WR). If your going to market yourself, you have to keep your name relevant. If he signed right away, none of us are likely doing much more than half naked women dancing gifs.

That is not to say that he is for sure coming to Colorado, just saying he is playing his name up to stay relevant.
Being a 5* OT protecting SS2's blindside under Coach Prime will keep your name relevant without needing a drawn out circus.

Not faulting the kid but while your statement is correct in the vast majority of cases don't think it's the case here.

Not the best HS program in the country, but your point still stands

Perhaps he was not offered the bag he was offered by UA at the time of the interviews…
Suny Binghamton GIF by Binghamton University

I don’t think it’s just a matter of a big bag now or a smaller bag and the NFL.

Coach Prime provides a platform that other programs can’t offer (I read his instagram or whatever increased by something like over 30,000 followers after his commitment to CU) and a vast network that could lead to opportunities as a student in the future.

I think that’s probably why he’s struggling. It’s instant money now versus the potential to make significantly more outside of his future NFL money.

I don’t think it’s just a matter of a big bag now or a smaller bag and the NFL.

Coach Prime provides a platform that other programs can’t offer (I read his instagram or whatever increased by something like over 30,000 followers after his commitment to CU) and a vast network that could lead to opportunities as a student in the future.

I think that’s probably why he’s struggling. It’s instant money now versus the potential to make significantly more outside of his future NFL money.
It's VERY hard for 18-20 year olds to think beyond cash in hand.

I won't make that in my lifetime. Go get your money Seaton. . . hopefully we'll see you in black and gold in a few years blocking for Underwood

You'd think with these giant bags that they would come with a 3-4 year vesting period so the recruit can't leave after a year.

Either Seaton is a marketing genius or CP is. Probably both TBH.

JS either played CP and CU for clout and exposure to get a bigger bag or CP is using his pull to make JS and CU the #1 talked about situation this cycle.

Either way, good for them and just shows that we're playing with the Big Boys now...something that feels uncomfortable and a little dirty because we're not used to it.

Last edited:
What is your source? That’s higher than many pro rookie contracts (obviously not first round money).
Isn’t that more than what Shedeur, a Heisman hopeful and expected top draft pick after next season, is making with being featured in many national ad campaigns.

It really makes me wonder how long these cash battles can be sustained.
In case you haven’t noticed, the top 2% basically own everything in this country. Plus, the donors can write this stuff off as chariity or marketing. It can last as long as our country’s wheels continue to churn the same way.

Back