What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Signed to CU '24 DC OT Jordan Seaton

In case you haven’t noticed, the top 2% basically own everything in this country. Plus, the donors can write this stuff off as chariity or marketing. It can last as long as our country’s wheels continue to churn the same way.
I think the true charitable basis of many of the NIL collectives could be challenged here in the near future.
To be tax deductible, NIL collective must have 501(c)(3) status, which states that they exist to support charities, when in fact, seems highly questionable.
I think this is wrong doing and not the intent of tax-free charity status to begin with. Perhaps @BuffDog (or regularly featured free-advice spewing CPA) can weigh in?

If you're Seaton though, and he really is what everyone says he is, which I'm sure he believes anyway, don't you have a little more luxury than say a guy who may or may not end up being an NFL draft pick?

I mean, Seaton's projected already to be a first round pick when he goes pro, and it's not like CU's not offering him anything. He's going to be comfortable no matter what, with enough left over to able to help his family out too.

Seems he could follow his heart and play for Prime and Loadholt, forestall the big money for a few years, then sign a first round contract and be doing great either way.

I have to believe that the only reason he's considering Maryland is the bag, otherwise he'd have already signed.

Last edited:
I think Primes pitch goes beyond "NFL over NIL". I read somewhere that the big NIL money is expected to transition from mostly coming from collectives, to mostly coming from endorsements as all of this matures. With all the attention Prime brings to Colorado, I would think that the opportunities for income outside of a collective are going to be much greater for someone at CU than most places. I think that is a strong selling point.

I think Primes pitch goes beyond "NFL over NIL". I read somewhere that the big NIL money is expected to transition from mostly coming from collectives, to mostly coming from endorsements as all of this matures. With all the attention Prime brings to Colorado, I would think that the opportunities for income outside of a collective are going to be much greater for someone at CU than most places. I think that is a strong selling point.
It is, but that has to come to fruition and kids have to see it happening with more than just Prime's kids and Travis Hunter before they choose that route over a seven figure cash deal that's basically only dependent on staying at said program.

I think Prime is ahead of the curve here, but how long will it take for the collectives to become less relevant? Will Prime still want to coach by then?

If you're Seaton though, and he really is what everyone says he is, which I'm sure he believes anyway, don't you have a little more luxury than say a guy who may or may not end up being an NFL draft pick?

I mean, Seaton's projected already to be a first round pick when he goes pro, and it's not like CU's not offering him anything. He's going to be comfortable no matter what, with enough left over to able to help his family out too.

Seems he could follow his heart and play for Prime and Loadholt, forestall the big money for a few years, then sign a first round contract and be doing great either way.

I have to believe that the only reason he's considering Maryland is the bag, otherwise he'd have already signed.
Potential for career ending injury is the driver here for kids getting decent financial advice. Can a frosh in college even get a 7 figure policy from Loyd's?

I’ve been giving this situation a lot of thought and would like to share my thoughts with you guys. First…..umm…..****! I forgot what I was going to say!!

smell this saturday night live GIF by HULU

I think the true charitable basis of many of the NIL collectives could be challenged here in the near future.
To be tax deductible, NIL collective must have 501(c)(3) status, which states that they exist to support charities, when in fact, seems highly questionable.
I think this is wrong doing and not the intent of tax-free charity status to begin with. Perhaps @BuffDog (or regularly featured free-advice spewing CPA) can weigh in?
Not my area of expertise but I agree with your summary. The entity would need to have a charitable purpose. Payments to a player direct from a business like an auto dealership for NIL purposes would be pretty straightforward. Advertising expense to the business and taxable NIL self-employment income to the person providing the NIL services. Hopefully they don't forget to file your return and pay your taxes before spending it all.

If he plays at Maryland, he'll kick the Nubs up and down the road in 2025 in College Park.

And this might be a petty move by UA to get back at CP after CP switched to Nike. UA founder is an UMD guy.

It was all a clever manipulation of the CFB SYSTEM
If so and he was always 100% CU but playing with us all to make himself the most talked about recruit this year, then fvck my feelings I may have had as I was being jerked around. Kudos, Mr. Seaton. Genius. Besides, at the end of the day, CU getting over on everyone is on the short list of things that don't make me feel dead inside anyway.

Back