What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Uncommitted '24 TNFR LB Kyle Moretti

What do you mean “these people”
Eugene Levy Theatre GIF

He means BASTARD PEOPLE!!

If the DC ended up being Lovie Smith, give me Woods as the MLB in a Tampa 2 all day, any day.

TW does run well. We tried it, starting with Ore St. but he played much more with Arizona. Watch his number on the highlights.

He was too small at ILB and could not get off a block, even blocks by smaller guys (his open shot at the QB was dusted by a smaller RB). Against a bigger guy and the inside line play in general it was brutal. He was just swallowed up. On many runs, he shot the wrong gaps. When he dropped into coverage, they were exploited there too--he was not in the plays to the TEs, or shorter passes--just late or not deep enough. That is why Woods at MLB experiment ended, and Arizona was his last game of the season. He played to the end. IMO, he is just not a LB, thus will be back to safety. Even with 20 more pounds would not make a difference, as those pounds could slow him down.

TW does run well. We tried it, starting with Ore St. but he played much more with Arizona. Watch his number on the highlights.

He was too small at ILB and could not get off a block, even blocks by smaller guys (his open shot at the QB was dusted by a smaller RB). Against a bigger guy and the inside line play in general it was brutal. He was just swallowed up. On many runs, he shot the wrong gaps. When he dropped into coverage, they were exploited there too--he was not in the plays to the TEs, or shorter passes--just late or not deep enough. That is why Woods at MLB experiment ended, and Arizona was his last game of the season. He played to the end. IMO, he is just not a LB, thus will be back to safety. Even with 20 more pounds would not make a difference, as those pounds could slow him down.

20 lbs of good weight ain't slowing anyone down very much. He could make the transition, if he could add the weight.

The LB crew obviously needs more talent... But adding a guy from Central Michigan doesn't scream problem solved. It feels like a few folks want him because he is from CO. Unless CP can bring in a stud LB or two, it won't matter - Hart just directs his LB's to run full speed in-between the Center/Guard gap at the snap of each play taking them out of the play. No vertical movement and leaves the middle of the field wide open for cross routes (which was a problem when we had a freshman CB playing 1:1). It is also telling that no decent LB transfer in the country is willing to play for CU under Hart. It seems like the only way to resolve the dim LB outlook is for this new shiny DC savior to have some leverage and can bring in a stud or two himself.

The LB crew obviously needs more talent... But adding a guy from Central Michigan doesn't scream problem solved. It feels like a few folks want him because he is from CO. Unless CP can bring in a stud LB or two, it won't matter - Hart just directs his LB's to run full speed in-between the Center/Guard gap at the snap of each play taking them out of the play. No vertical movement and leaves the middle of the field wide open for cross routes (which was a problem when we had a freshman CB playing 1:1). It is also telling that no decent LB transfer in the country is willing to play for CU under Hart. It seems like the only way to resolve the dim LB outlook is for this new shiny DC savior to have some leverage and can bring in a stud or two himself.
Just because they do the wrong thing doesn't mean they are coached that way. I've watched every JSU game and our LBs were the smartest on the field and always shot the right gaps. He just didn't have the personnel last year. The DL didn't do the linebackers any favors either in terms of our running game. So much wrong in this. So Wester isn't decent or more than decent? Wade isn't decent or more than decent? Come on man

Just because they do the wrong thing doesn't mean they are coached that way. I've watched every JSU game and our LBs were the smartest on the field and always shot the right gaps. He just didn't have the personnel last year. The DL didn't do the linebackers any favors either in terms of our running game. So much wrong in this. So Wester isn't decent or more than decent? Wade isn't decent or more than decent? Come on man
I know you are bias towards Harr. I'm judging him based on two cycles of recruiting and one season on the field. Guy cannot recruit despite having CP as coach and his inability to coach up the LB's is alarming.
Not to speak for everyone but we would be pleased if the LB core filled gaps, moved vertically, covered in space effectively and he actually lands a couple solid LB's. We are are rooting for it, literally. But until that happens, it's fair to say he doesn't belong at this level.

I know you are bias towards Harr. I'm judging him based on two cycles of recruiting and one season on the field. Guy cannot recruit despite having CP as coach and his inability to coach up the LB's is alarming.
Not to speak for everyone but we would be pleased if the LB core filled gaps, moved vertically, covered in space effectively and he actually lands a couple solid LB's. We are are rooting for it, literally. But until that happens, it's fair to say he doesn't belong at this level.
The thing that continues to surprise me with LB recruiting is that they're really not even going after LB's. They clearly targeted both lines and had high success rates even without much of the defensive staff in place. At LB, it was pretty much Lundy or bust, and after that they pivoted to Wester as a backup plan. Is it on Hart as a recruiter, or is it a staff decision not to recruit the position?

We have Wade and Wester. Wester finished 2nd in the nation last year in run stopping and Wade is already on draft boards as a linebacker and his build similar to Jack Campbell.

I am not bias, I always been honest here. I don't sugarcoat nothing.

He literally had our best rooms each year at JSU and developed LBs. Why would I make this up, i literally watched every game and the grades prove it. The LB room was weak. Blame him for missing on some guys we landed like Kennedy but it happens. We got Wester and Wade. We are likely in a good place.

Wester looks nice but extremely light in the britches. B12 might be ok for a 200lb LB but a full season will likely grind him down.

Are we just speculating on Wade at ILB or has that been publicized as the plan?

Are we just speculating on Wade at ILB or has that been publicized as the plan?
Speculating but it's a no brainer especially since he did in partially at Kentucky and and did it very well where we completely lack it at CU. Whereas, we have EDGE rushers who are nearly as good and some are better than he is.

He's the only draft grade linebacker on the roster. It's kind of obvious. He's projected as a 2nd rounder with some scouts.

Knocking a kid who went to WMU? Did you watch his tape? Kid can play period.

I've watched every JSU game and our LBs were the smartest on the field and always shot the right gaps. He just didn't have the personnel last year. The DL didn't do the linebackers any favors either in terms of our running game. So much wrong in this. So Wester isn't decent or more than decent? Wade isn't decent or more than decent? Come on man

Our Dline was incredibly weak last year. If the opposing teams Olinemen are consistently getting to the second level there isn't a LB coach in the world who can scheme for that...
That being said, Moretti would be a great upgrade at LB.

The thing that continues to surprise me with LB recruiting is that they're really not even going after LB's. They clearly targeted both lines and had high success rates even without much of the defensive staff in place. At LB, it was pretty much Lundy or bust, and after that they pivoted to Wester as a backup plan. Is it on Hart as a recruiter, or is it a staff decision not to recruit the position?

We have Wade and Wester. Wester finished 2nd in the nation last year in run stopping and Wade is already on draft boards as a linebacker and his build similar to Jack Campbell.
[Hart] literally had our best rooms each year at JSU and developed LBs. Why would I make this up, i literally watched every game and the grades prove it. The LB room was weak. Blame him for missing on some guys we landed like Kennedy but it happens. We got Wester and Wade. We are likely in a good place.

I tried to cut down the quotes to the main points, because all of you made great points. It is a combination of factors. Ore. St., and especially the Arizona game highlights on the gashing runs was enlightening. However, based on your comments, I watched the UCLA highlights.

The D played decent because they got 3 turnovers, and a couple key sacks and TsFL.. The safeties hit great, and it was 7-6 when Shilo was lost on the targeting call. With some O, we should have won this game. This game they played mostly a dime package with TW playing LB. They exposed TW on many explosion plays, but he had a huge game stats wise--#1 tackler. However, we gave up 254 yards rushing, and could have gave up more. TW looked very inexperienced/tentative in playing closer to the LOS. When he run blitzed, he was just gobbled up. The DL played decent: 3 sacks, 5 TFL, 1 hurry. Putting your good comments together, here are some observations:

1. Coaching. It's tough to blame things on 2 ILBs, one just converted from S, although we tried many LB combinations. Like I mentioned earlier about SL on O--there seemed to be disconnect in terns of game-planning, effectively using the coach in the booth, and just finding something to counter with--the OL was really poor. On D we had disconnect here as well. The Dline was playing better during these later season games and doing their thing, not great, yet not mashed/mauled either. I think Shilo/a S is calling the play from the backfield. IMO, the ILB's seemed to be lost out there--bad positioning, swallowed up, wrong gaps, wrong drop, not reading QB's eyes or even the play (i.e. reacting to RPO, fake handoff). Agree with Cali's comment that the vertical drops were not good. I have to give #1 Pick's comments on Hart, some benefit of the doubt on Hart, if he watched all the JMU games. They may have been playing year 2-3 in an established D scheme.

2. Defensive Coordinator. I agree that the new DC could be the Savior. Perhaps some of this was CK, as he was the overall coordinator. IMO, the LB's just did not look coordinated with the rest of the D--again sort of lost out there. In many defenses the LB's make the calls. It seems we were playing a 4-2-5 (Nickle) or Dime on many early downs in addition to some mid-yardage plays. This is where CU needs a great 2 down guy/run stopped, and ideally platoons in with a coverage ILB--maybe Gant get healthy or Wester on the longer downs. If we can find that special guy and then have a 3 down ILB to complement Bentley, then great. The new DC will put what he needs out there, however has to make sure they can chose the right gaps and read the play.

3. 1st Year D install. 1st year of a new D install is always a rough go. LB is where they have been exposed in the past. GB's disastrous CSU game--LB's were out of position all game. Landman and Wells (great/good players) had some real difficulty in Summers new install. The read and react skills take a little time. Run gap control is exposed. As is dropping into coverage. IMO, the learning curve is maybe hardest for the ILBs. I am presuming that Zimmer stays and I do not predict a completely new-D scheme. If they can perfect some with the ILBs, play some 4-3 on running downs; then the D could really grow.

4. Talent/Recruiting. If we tab this to Hart, IMO our LB haul looked great on paper last year, I thought one of the best position gets. We got Kennedy (4*), Gant (.89, 4* on one service), Bentley (consensus 4*), Brown (.89), Mitchell was never rated but started at ASU. Except for Brown, these transfers were from the bigger schools and better ranked. Gant was injured and not sure what happened with Kennedy, he had great game v. Utah. All of Kennedy's stats were UU and WSU. Mitchell was good before he got into trouble.

This year, we were close with landing Lundy and might still get 1-2 more. With sackmaster AJ Green appearing to be signing, we could see an Edge or two move. I did see an eligibility chart somewhere with Wade at LB--he has size playing LB at UK. Wester looks solid, listed as OLB--he would play the weakside drop ILB. I could see Webb-Carter maybe getting a shot here-- 6'6", 270 with huge wingspan could be special, and he played OLB at NM last year--have not seen film on him via how he moves or if he plays up. Quency Wiggens could be interesting here, 6'4", 265, huge wingpan, 2 sport athlete, smart kid and young. With all these guys lateral movement and tackling ability will be key. I like taller Physically ILB's as they can see more over the QB, if they go inside and get hands up, they bat passes. Overall, I love that game-changer guy, but CU's talent is improving.

5. D-Line. IMO, the Dline progressively improved through out the season, and they were adequate during the 2nd half of the season. Domineck really made noise, others made contributions as well. I thought that S's played well and were extremely hard hitting and deep. I just think they made many more plays the 2nd half of the season. Except when on the field too long, they were not consistently mauled. In the UCLA, Ore St, and Zona highlights on the big plays, it looked to me like the Dline was holding it's own at the L/O/S however run blitzers/run support was swallowed up, took the wrong gap or could not get off blocks. I think the Dline should be another level better this year (Domenick will be hard to replace) with maybe more depth. Perhaps, they don't run blitz ILBs as much, and they give more space to tackle. If interior D or Edge take double teams, that should open space for the LBs.

6. Moretti. I got hammered for my PWO comments above about Moretti. I made those based on the various Eligibility Trackers, recruit rankings/descriptions, then film on our guys and Moretti. Moretti looks like a great tackler, has MAC acolades, however I do worry about his speed/quicks transferring into the B-12. He would be plug and play for 1 year, like Mitchell without the off the field problems. I respect De Lama's comments the most, as he generally has an inside scoop, and is absolutely right if projected ILB's are Bentely and Woods this season, then signing Moretti is a no brainer. Who knows, Moretti could be the Roderick Ward from last season. I thought Domineck and Ward were the 2nd half D MVPs, although Shilo was close and after Stanford Hunter played great. I hold out hope that our guys get healthy, play towards their ranking, and maybe a position change will yield the ILBs. Moretti still feels PWO to me, but I could be wrong. If he comes, I'll welcome him with open arms.

To MattRob's comments, he poses a great question about how hard they are recruiting ILB? I think the CU braintrust feels that they have enough talent on the roster to find 1-2 adequate ILB on the roster to play with Bentely. Maybe Kennedy was hurt, he seemed to close the season better. Gant was definitely hurt. Also, we recruited 3 True-Frosh, some maybe one of them can step up. We missed on these guys with production last year, but the talent could be there. IMO, they are really looking for a Homerun Run-Plugging ILB, which are hard to find. On the other hand, I think improving the Dline a notch may give the staff flexibility to try moving 1-2 to ILB or the Dline is a force freeing up ILBs to just read and react. Maybe they can play some effective 4-3 or 3-4 on running downs.

For what it is worth. Last long post for the week. Go Buffs.

Last edited:
Back