What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

30 for 30 Tonight

That team had more than just "another" NBA guy.

Year
Player
Round
Pick
NBA club
Clyde Drexler
Portland Trail Blazers
Larry Micheaux
Chicago Bulls
Akeem Olajuwon
Houston Rockets
Michael Young
Boston Celtics
Reid Gettys
Chicago Bulls
Alvin Franklin
Sacramento Kings

They also had a couple of other guys who were not NBA draft choices but who were excellent college players. That team had ridiculous talent. Guy Lewis should have paid the school to coach that bunch. Of course being from Texas in the height of SWC football days there was some question about the "amatuer" status of that team. How some of those guys ended up at UH has been questioned.
I forgot Franklin and Gettys were drafted too...I was looking it up and then saw your post...mind blowing the amount of talent. I got to see a lot of the home games at Hofheinz back then. Probably will never see a college team like that again.

One other thought. Six NBA'ers, you basically have an NBA starting five and a sixth man off the bench in Gettys. Not to mention the bench, Bryan Williams, Benny Anders et all were not too shabby. They should have rolled everybody by 20. Seeing those guys play was amazing, but back then they were pretty undisciplined, and the showboat was always afloat...it wasn't like they waited to get a lead before they were doing windmill dunks if the opportunity presented itself. Lots of missed scoring opportunities in favor of trying the two hand reverse slam.....

How many pro teams have never had two NBA HOF players on the floor at the same time. This team should have never lost a college game.

How many pro teams have never had two NBA HOF players on the floor at the same time. This team should have never lost a college game.

Yet Houston sports talk radio whines incessantly that Guy Lewis doesn't get more respect as a top coach of all time.

And here I thought Denver hadthe dumbest talk show hosts in the country...

I'm pretty sure sports IQ isn't the main hiring factor for those jobs. Being able to run your mouth continuously for 4 hours without dropping 4-letter words is far more important.

How many pro teams have never had two NBA HOF players on the floor at the same time.

Not many, actually. I bet most NBA franchises have had two HOF players on their roster at the same time.

As for that UH team, six of those guys may have been drafted, but two of them were drafted in the later rounds, which no longer exist. Gettys spent his pro career in the CBA. Micheaux lasted two years (with three different teams) in the NBA before moving on to Europe for the rest of his career. I can find no record of Alvin Franklin's professional career, beyond his getting drafted. Michael Young lasted all of three years in the NBA (also with three different teams) before moving on to the CBA.

There are a lot of college teams over the years that have had multiple players end up being drafted. I think we are overplaying this team a little bit.

Not many, actually. I bet most NBA franchises have had two HOF players on their roster at the same time.

As for that UH team, six of those guys may have been drafted, but two of them were drafted in the later rounds, which no longer exist. Gettys spent his pro career in the CBA. Micheaux lasted two years (with three different teams) in the NBA before moving on to Europe for the rest of his career. I can find no record of Alvin Franklin's professional career, beyond his getting drafted. Michael Young lasted all of three years in the NBA (also with three different teams) before moving on to the CBA.

There are a lot of college teams over the years that have had multiple players end up being drafted. I think we are overplaying this team a little bit.
I saw them live, it isn't being overplayed. Maybe the Augmon-Johnson-Anderson UNLV crew or the UNC Perkins-Jordan-Worthy teams were close, but UH was something special. They demolished, I mean demolished, a very good Louisville team coached by Denny Crum in the Final Four IIRC in 1983. It wasn't even a contest. The game ended with about a 12-14 point lead for UH but the game was pretty much over shortly after halftime and the last 12:00 minutes or so was UH dunk contest.

I saw them live, it isn't being overplayed. Maybe the Augmon-Johnson-Anderson UNLV crew or the UNC Perkins-Jordan-Worthy teams were close, but UH was something special. They demolished, I mean demolished, a very good Louisville team coached by Denny Crum in the Final Four IIRC in 1983. It wasn't even a contest. The game ended with about a 12-14 point lead for UH but the game was pretty much over shortly after halftime and the last 12:00 minutes or so was UH dunk contest.

I'm not suggesting that they weren't a great team, but they really were two superstars surrounded by solid college players. The suggestion that they had some sort of super roster the likes of which had never been seen is just silly to me. Heck, North Carolina ran out Jordan, Perkins, and Worthy the year before.

I'm not suggesting that they weren't a great team, but they really were two superstars surrounded by solid college players. The suggestion that they had some sort of super roster the likes of which had never been seen is just silly to me. Heck, North Carolina ran out Jordan, Perkins, and Worthy the year before.
Fair enough. IMO, part of the reason Micheaux, Franklin and Young were not successful at the next level was the lack of coaching at the college level. It is just fun to remember. That was some very good basketball to watch, even though it was painful as I was an Arky fan back then since my dad was an Arky grad. I was what, 15 years old or so back then.

The SWC basketball back then was fun to watch. Abe Lemon screaming his head off at UT, the original triplets, Brewer Delph and Moncrief at Arky. Phi Slamma Jamma. Mayberry, Day and the Big O later on at Arky.

Fair enough. IMO, part of the reason Micheaux, Franklin and Young were not successful at the next level was the lack of coaching at the college level. It is just fun to remember. That was some very good basketball to watch, even though it was painful as I was an Arky fan back then since my dad was an Arky grad. I was what, 15 years old or so back then.

The SWC basketball back then was fun to watch. Abe Lemon screaming his head off at UT, the original triplets, Brewer Delph and Moncrief at Arky. Phi Slamma Jamma. Mayberry, Day and the Big O later on at Arky.

I actually remember that Houston team from when I first was getting into college hoops. As they pointed out on that special last night, there were some damn good college basketball teams in the 80s.

I just watched it. Wow, Hollywood couldn't have scripted it this good. I knew they were a Cinderella team and all that didn't realize that 7 of their 9 games they won went down to the very end, and in at least 2 of those they were all but done. And without winning the ACC tournament they don't even get into the NCAA tournament. Sure they had some luck with teams missing free throws down the stretch but they also beat Sampson twice, Jordan, and Olajuwan/Drexler in that run. And how ironic is it that the Wolfpack won the title on the homecourt of the Lobos?

Did Hakeem and Drexler stay all 4 years?

Wonder how the Fab 5 would have done if they'd been around 10 years earlier and stayed all 4 years.

Did Hakeem and Drexler stay all 4 years?

Wonder how the Fab 5 would have done if they'd been around 10 years earlier and stayed all 4 years.

Not sure. I do know that Clyde wasn't there for all 3 Final Fours, though.

Who knows? But it would have been funny as hell seeing them in those short shorts of the day. :wow:

I'm pretty sure sports IQ isn't the main hiring factor for those jobs. Being able to run your mouth continuously for 4 hours without dropping 4-letter words is far more important.

And being able to entertain your audience for that period of time. Skip Bayless effect, everyone "hates" him but those ratings are gold.

Coach K said the achievements of the Grant Hill/Christian Laettner teams will never be accomplished again and he's right. I can't see any player starting (let alone playing) on four straight Final Four teams. If a player is starting on two in a row now it's accomplishment. Kentucky practically fields a new team every year. This is why I wish the NBA would adopt an MLB-draft like system, go right after high school or stay three years(I could take two as a compromise). There's no reason that the Kevin Durants/Kyrie Irvings/John Walls should be in college for just a year when they're ready. I think it make both games better.

Back