1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a full look at our penalties the first 3 games

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by tante, Sep 19, 2011.

1. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Hawaii:

1st quarter:
    Unnecessary Roughness - Ray Polk - 14 yards

2nd quarter:
    Holding - Matt Bahr - 10 yards
    Illegal Shift - Colorado - 5 yards
    False Start - Colorado - 5 yards
    Delay of Game - Colorado - 5 yards
    Unnecessary Roughness - Parker Orms - 15 yards

3rd quarter:
    NONE

4th quarter:
    Delay of Game - Colorado - 4 yards

TOTAL: 7 penalties for 58 yards

California:

1st quarter:
    Pass Interference - Derrick Webb - 10 yards
    Pass Interference - Greg Henderson - 15 yards
    Personal Foul - Colorado - 3 yards

2nd quarter:
    Personal Foul - Colorado - 15 yards

3rd quarter:
    Roughing the Kicker - Colorado - 15 yards

4th quarter:
    Offside - Colorado - 5 yards
    HOlding - Ryan Miller - 10 yards

OT:
    NONE

TOTAL: 12 penalties for 98 yards

CSU

1st quarter:
    Roughing the Passer - Colorado - 15 yards
    Offside - Colorado - 5 yards
    Delay of Game - Colorado - 5 yards

2nd quarter:
    HOlding - Colorado - 9 yards
    Personal Foul - Colorado - 15 yards
    Pass Interference - Colorado - 15 yards
    Personal Foul - Colorado - 0 yards (off-setting)

3rd quarter:
    Unsportsmanlike Conduct - Toney Clemons - 15 yards

4th quarter:
    Holding - Ethan Adkins - 10 yards
    HOlding - Ryan Dannewitz - 10 yards

TOTAL: 10 penalties for 114 yards

It looks like we do much better after halftime, but we still have some really boneheaded penalties like back to back false starts. We really really need to clean up the personal fouls. The scary part is we are getting more penalty yards every game.

Darth Snow likes this.
  2. buff190

buff190 Club Member Club Member

No wonder we couldn't score any touchdowns in a first half until 2nd qtr of CSU game. And that was obviously despite the penalties.

3. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

What would also be interesting to see is the result of the drives of those penalties. How many of the offensive penalties resulted in punts, and how many of the defensive penalties resulted in points for the opponents. I can only think of the last drive of the CSU game where we overcame holding penalties and still put points on the board... Granted I know that there will be penalties every game and some penalties are good to take (holding on a blitz that will kill Hansen or PI on a receiver that will result in a TD) but the Buffs cannot have more than 50 yards in penalties. It is absolutely killer.

4. tante

I was thinking about it, but the data is really all over the place because we spread the penalties around and get them on offense, defense and special teams and we get them on all 3 downs.

5. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

The holding and pass interference penalties won't be going away anytime soon. The O-line and our secondary are our two most underskilled units.

6. tante

we actually didn't get a holding call until the end of the cal game and only 3 so far this season. The O-line injuries are really going to hurt us because as much as hawaii was blitzing, the o-line played pretty disciplined. Now that we have a lot of new faces, guys miss their assignments and mistakes happen.

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Good stuff, tante.

8. tante

wait until you see my rpi analysis.

9. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

The unsportmanlike conduct penalty on Clemons was bull****. My wife, who knows nothing about football, was outraged. "What, are they supposed to act like robots after they score so they don't hurt the other team's feelings?!!!"

10. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Penalties

Watched at Mile Hi (It always sucks there, wotta worthless edifice!) Then watched the re-play on Root. The PI and a couple of the holding calls were pure judgement; I've seen those things called and not called depending upon angle of view and pre-disposition of the ref!

How come CSU wasn't called much for holding? CU's rush was much better than theirs and our guys were continually struggling to break free. Only pulled jerseys resulted in flags on the Lammies. The UR/PF on Miller happened when he sat down on his guy after the play was over, couldn't tell if his guy tripped him or not. That RP against Chizo(or was it Rippy?) was another "Defy physics" call.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  11. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Miller's penalty was probably the stupidest PF I've ever seen, but at the same time the most allsomest PF I've ever seen. CAPTAIN INSANO STYLE!

12. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Anyone have a video of it?

13. Buffs@5345'

Buffs@5345' Club Member Club Member

I would also be interested to know how the penalties from Saturday's game impacted the plays they were called in, ie; how many holds killed a big play and how many d penalties wiped out a stop.

IMO the celebration PF rule is one of the dumbest things the NCAA has come up with, and the list is long and distinguished. I firmly believe that every coach should create a gentleman's agreement that each touchdown scored be celebrated forcing the rule to be scrapped. Of course that would never happen - but something has to be done to make that one go away.

In the case of the PFs, I am on the fence. On one hand they drive me insane, but on the other, if we can first indoctrinate a culture of captain insaneos and then dial it back I am willing to endure a few more. I think that Embree and co. have a big challenge to instill an attitude that says that we will physically dominate our opponents at EVERY opportunity, while knowing that it is going to be an uphill battle in many matchups. Getting it to that point and refining it must happen, but there will be growing pains along the way. I for one will take the new attitude I am seeing over passiveness and a perceived attitude of accepting the inevitable, that we had seen to much of.

14. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

No doubt, I was lmao when I saw that on the replay last night. The ass smack, hopefully with a smelly fart thrown in, was rep worthy.

15. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

[​IMG]

16. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

That's about accurate, only imagine Sagat was lying on his chest and not in a seated position.

17. RK

RK UBL Club Member

I think chicks just like watching them dance because my girlfriend was equally upset about the penalty