1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A look back at the in-state class of 2011

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by buffaholic, Mar 12, 2015.

1. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

2011 in-state class we had a lot of discussion about. Looked like a top class at the time based on offers.

Kip Smith, K, UCLA
    Chris Martin, DE, Cal
    Nduka Onyeali, DE, ASU
    Austin Hinder, QB, Cal
    Dillon Bonnell, OL, Stanford
    Joe Hemschoot, LB, Stanford
    Kyle Slavin, TE, Colorado

Onyeali probably had the biggest impact, for about a year. Not sure if Martin ever ended up playing anywhere after a bunch of transfers and Juco.

None of the others attained regular starting status other than Slavin, albeit he had less competition for his job.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That was the 2010 class. CU signed Justin Castor as a K after we missed on Smith. Also included Danny Spond (Notre Dame), Kain Colter (Northwestern), Mike Moudy (Nebraska), Mister Jones (Texas A&M), Kenny Bell (Nebraska), Kyle Klein (KSU), and Jonny Miller (Syracuse). Class didn't live up to the talent, for sure. Wish we would have landed Bell and Klein, obviously.

3. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Miller saw his playing time shrink his senior year from Miles so I still don't know how he got a full ride to the Cuse. Only stayed a year though.

4. slystone

slystone Member

miller got the boot from 'cuse due to his fiasco with BG in Boulder --

5. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Bell and Moudy probably had the best college careers out of that group. Moudy was not recruited by CU and there were rumors of character issues which is strange because he was considered a model player at Nebraska. Bell just peeved me off. He was a Boulder grad and CU did not offer him until late - I remember early in the recruitment process he was CUs for the taking (supposedly) but that was when Hawkins was all weird on recruiting (never understood what was going on but the basically appeared to quit recruiting after 2008).

6. slystone

slystone Member

Was even more strange in that bell and coulter were boyhood friends since coulters dad coached at bhs

7. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

I still believe that it was the Curse of Kenny Bell that put us in our massive hole.

8. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I still can't believe Jonny miller had all those offers. Dude was a terrible HS QB

9. BluejayBuff

BluejayBuff New Member

Kenny Bell was definitely there for CU's taking. He still tweets about CU football and is a fan, even while in Lincoln.

10. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

He actually got in trouble in New York before that incident. Already had one foot out the door.

11. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

My Bad on the year. I was thinking whatever happened to that LB (Hemschoot) and did a quick search of him. Then looked at the other in-state kids who went PAC12 that year.

2010 was a huge year for P-5 offers in state and 5 years later, looks pretty mediocre. Bell, Colter and Klein were the impact guys and weren't the most highly recruited of the group probably. We've rarely produced three skill guys in one year like that.

Also just noticed that Kivon Cartwright will return for a 6th year after only playing vs. the Buffs in 2014 and then shutting it down. SIAP.

12. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

That year, I heard Hawkins had read an article about monkeys throwing darts to pick stocks and beating Wall Street experts on outcomes.

Old Dan figured the same would work with recruiting.

Unfortunately, none of Danny's darts landed on either Bell or Coulter!

13. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

Spond was starting for notre dame his junior year until he had migraines. Best pure athlete I've ever been around (not saying much but still).

14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Yeah, Spond was a player. I think in the end he knew the concussion issues were a roll of the dice so he was focused on signing where he'd get the most valuable sheepskin on the academic side. CU had a commitment & lost him late.