1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A minor concern

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by sackman, Nov 18, 2014.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

In both of the first two games, the score at halftime was CU up by less than 10. We're not putting away teams in the first half. Both Drexel and Auburn ran out of gas in the second half and were blown out. I don't know if this has more to do with teams coming in with a big adrenaline rush to start the game, and then crashing in the second half, or if we're just depending on wearing out the opponent in the second half. I hope it's the former. We'll win a bunch of games this year by employing that strategy, but it's not going to help us much on the road.

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think it is fair to say 2 games makes it a trend now, however I think it is very early to be overly concerned about it. We will see how the season progresses, but I would assume it has a lot to do with it being week 1 and the players still learning their new roles in the offense. The D was still good in the Auburn game in the first half even though they were close. They were shooting something like 38 or 39% at half time which is good news for us.

We will know a lot after the Wyo game. Altitude will not be a factor.

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

How many points is acceptable to be up by at half?

4. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

Who cares if we arent winning the first half. You dont get .5 w's for that ****. it only counts at the end.

5. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

we had a few dumb fouls, gave up a lot of offense rebounds in 1st half, and any team can stay in it with the 3 ball if they are hitting but trying to do that for a whole game is tough. am very interested to see how the team performs in laramie. i just hope if it is close booker plays within himself and doesn't force it. if scott is doubled and ski is cold we need another guy to step up and take over the game.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  6. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

My only concern is that we haven't played a real frontcourt yet.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

We aren't likely to face a frontcourt as good as ours all year long.

It's hard to come to too many conclusions after two games. I have noticed that we've been pulling away from teams in the second half because they simply couldn't keep up the pace we were dictating. That's a great strategy at home, and it's fun to see teams that are too gassed to put up an effort. But that won't work as well on the road. We'll need to tighten up our rebounding and offensive efficiency a bit for road games. Again, this isn't a freak-out. It is, as I said, a minor concern. I'll be really interested to see how we do in Laramie.

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We do play Arizona twice.

There are also some pretty good ones that can battle us and we need our front court to win the day because those teams (Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Utah) have some advantages over the Buffs in other places.

Wyoming will be a good test. Nance can play.

9. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Really depends on the team. Certainly on the road against lesser Pac12 competition it would be nice to be up 10. However, not all teams are built that way. I can only speak of teams I follow closely, but take Virginia. They rarely are killing anyone (aside from the South Carolina States of the world) at half. They then just wear you down and crush your will in the second half. They call it the "Cavalanche". We seem to be in the same mold, in fact, their fans were noting the similarity last night with what we did to Auburn in the second half.

10. bar9716

bar9716 Member

Ha ha ha. I love AllBuffs.:lol:

11. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

One thing I've found interesting (that ties in to the closer margin at the half) is that we've been outrebounded in the first half of both games so far.

12. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That's the stat that has been bothering me.

2nd half, we're like +15 in both games. Team needs to rebound better in the 1st half.

13. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Wyoming is going to be an interesting test. They get a lot of offensive rebounds of their own (35.3% - 102nd in the nation) but give up as many on D (35.7% - 247th). Larry Nance is grabbing 24.5% on defensive rebounds and 13.4% on offensive. His defensive rebounding numbers would lead the Buffs and offensive would only be behind Wes (who has 14.1%).

14. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I thought Auburn was very fortunate to only be down by 4 at halftime. Wasn't Kansas only down 10 to Kentucky?

15. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

You know what I really love, winning the first half and losing the second half.

16. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

We've seen them completely give up attempting to grab offensive boards against CU the last couple of years, I kind of expect that on Saturday. with Wes, XJ and Scott why gamble on trying to grab offensive boards and give CU the chance to get in transition?