1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Academic committee plays role in recruiting for Colorado

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I thought this was a pretty informative article today in the Daily Camera. One big change this year is that Official Visits from likely non-qualifiers are not being allowed like they had been in the past. Direct result of the APR failing in both football and basketball.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_17143645

2. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

we could be in for a lot more attrition.

3. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

I'm all for this. It does no one any good to bring in athletes who can't cut it in the classroom. The last thing CU should aim to be is a second-tier academic institution with a strong football program like KJUCO.

4. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

That may be true except KSU doesn't have a good football program.

5. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

why did you pick the one example that didn't work. Look at the SEC, they have won the last 6 football championships with guys that can barely tie their own shoes.

6. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Just using the team provided but yes I agree the SEC is ridiculous in academic exceptions, or just being ****ty schools.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

This is a great, honest response to the apr issue. The other, less honest responses are going to be a thorn in our side tho

8. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

We'll see where all this stands a year from now. There should not be an issue with taking a handful (3-4) of academic risks every year. This seems a bit knee-jerk to me.

9. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Unmmm... Don't think you read that like I did. They clearly stated that there will be risks taken. they are just doing what everybody does post signing pre visit now. So less wasted effort unless the guy is amazing.

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I wouldn't lump Florida in with the academic midgets of the SEC. UF is a very strong academic institution. Now, what they do to get kids in the door may be a different story, but a degree from Florida is meaningful.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Maybe. Like I said, we'll see how this whole thing a year from now.

12. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I agree with snow (washes out mouth, takes a shower) on this one. I think this is a step in the right direction. The more cooperation between the admissions office and the athletic department, the better. I don't see much of a downside to this, unless it becomes something akin to "We'll let you take this guy, but not this guy" scenario.

13. Del

Del Member

I'm all for it. I'm so tired of hearing about all of these transfers or academic problems. CU has an 85% acceptance rate. Like Denver Johnson said you don't have to be a genius to get in here. All you need is a guy who has gone to class and done his homework in high school and has some BASIC study skills and they will be fine at a place like CU.

14. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

yup. UF is a good school. Not in the SEC, but FSU is not a bad school either. SEC-wise, Obviously Vandy (total outlier) is a top 25 USA Today type school, but UGA and Bama are solid schools as well. the thing is the "autonomy" of the athletic programs re: kidding kids in school is pretty incommensurate with the general student body.

it's also remarkably easy to make C's at college these days. it doesn't take a lot.

15. GoldenBuff

GoldenBuff Club Member Club Member

I think they are probably VERY reluctant to take academic risks right now with the current APR issues. My guess though, is that they'll be able to take more risks as the APR goes back up and we get out of the danger zone. This committee is a very good idea and I think it will help us out a lot in the long term.

16. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

I think you're old enough to know what I mean. And now Papa Snyder's doing it again, loading up on guys from JCs around the country as the fast track to on-field success.