What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alfred Williams

I love Al as a Buff and think he keeps the program's name out there in the general media. However, how much has he helped the program? I don't know.

I am getting sick of these radio stations (1510 and 104.3) rolling out one ex-player alumni after another complaining about Hawkins and the state of the program. How many of them are donating money, actively showing up at practice, etc? A lot of guys played pro ball, are prominent members of the media and community. I would think they would be a great help, but seem to be content complaining when they get on the radio.

That was Hagan's complaint. If the ex-players have upsetness over how the team's performing, make a point of coming to practice and helping out, talking to the team, whatever.

That was Hagan's complaint. If the ex-players have upsetness over how the team's performing, make a point of coming to practice and helping out, talking to the team, whatever.

That could to lead to an ncaa infraction. Hagan better be careful.

A bunch former Univ of Miami QBs, Jim Kelly, Kosar, Testaverde, Walsh, etc. tried to organize a QB coaching clinic when the team was struggling. The U figured out that it was somehow an NCAA violation and killed it. :huh:

is going for the JUGULAR on 104.3FM the Fan...

Not just for Hawkins, but is more devout about getting Bohn out. He says AD's should only get one shot at hiring, and he shouldn't be able to make this decision and that he needs to go.

Your thoughts?

A lot of times Alfred gets too emotional. Mike Bohn knows he needs to make a decision but he wants to see the outcome of the next two games to see if it makes his decision easier. I don't think you can fault him for that.

it's time to move on. i love Alfred as much as anyone, but "back to 1989" is not how this game works anymore.

nostalgia is not the answer. there are a lot of people who can teach current and future Buffs to block and tackle....not just people who passed through the golden Mac period of about 6 years.

if we hire our John Blake or Mike Shula, it ain't on Mick Ronson.

a guy who comes in with a good system, discipline, and emphasis on fundamentals and not putting air under his guys' souls....can be bowl eligible with this team, IMO.

Last edited:
A lot of times Alfred gets too emotional. Mike Bohn knows he needs to make a decision but he wants to see the outcome of the next two games to see if it makes his decision easier. I don't think you can fault him for that.

I'd imagine there is a lot of lining up of the ducks as it were. You cant just through your hot dog down that hallway without some sort of a plan because you end up looking like a fool.

it's time to move on. i love Alfred as much as anyone, but "back to 1989" is not how this game works anymore.

nostalgia is not the answer. there are a lot of people who can teach current and future Buffs to block and tackle....not just people who passed through the golden Mac period of about 6 years.

Agreed. That is kinda of what I am saying. I don't think these ex-players that are so disappointed with the state of affairs are helping. If they are really unhappy then they should get together and donate money to facilitate a buyout. Apparently it is much easier to complain on the radio.

Hawkins made it point to try and bring "the old guard" back into the program. Mac was on board, D Hagan on staff, open door / preferential treatment to ex-Buffs, etc. However, there is still a large camp of ex-players that remained "alienated" from the program.

Good coaches come from a lot of different places and backgrounds. Bringing Colorado back to prominence is possible but it requires a lot more than a new coach. We need continued and more fan support, larger donations, continued facilities upgrades and, most importantly, everybody from the university president on down needs to care that the Athletic Department is successful.

Never doubt Big Al... He knows Bohn is doing well financially for the school. I have heard him say that on his show. I fully believe he brought up the Bohn issue solely to put pressure on him to get this thing done. When the pressure is applied to Hawkins, that is one thing, but when you start lumping Bohn onto the same moving truck, then Bohn will get the message or the media will be pouncing on him very soon if nothing happens.

As far as Al helping out up there, he has also said many times that he has extended his willingness in many aspects, not just football, but has never heard anything back. It was just in the last few weeks where he talked about this and you could tell it kinda hurt him a bit too.

And with the Dave Logan deal... I don't think I heard him get on that train, but he didnt seem to shoot it down either. I know he has nixed it before, but at this point, if it were Logan or Hawkins, I would take Logan in a second!

Wonder if Shanny would take Logan on the staff as a position coach and local recruiter?

As far as Al helping out up there, he has also said many times that he has extended his willingness in many aspects, not just football, but has never heard anything back. It was just in the last few weeks where he talked about this and you could tell it kinda hurt him a bit too.

And with the Dave Logan deal... I don't think I heard him get on that train, but he didnt seem to shoot it down either. I know he has nixed it before, but at this point, if it were Logan or Hawkins, I would take Logan in a second!

Wonder if Shanny would take Logan on the staff as a position coach and local recruiter?

Have not heard Al saying he has offered to help, but also don't listen to him every day. Doubt the AD would turn him down if he was offering money. However, as posted earlier, maybe there was a Miami situation where he offered to run a clinic for HS kids or something and the AD said no thank you. Just speculating.

As for Logan, he is an unknown outside of Colorado. Gerry Faust is a perfect example and the rule as to why you don't hire a high school coach for a big time football program.

I liked Al's idea of bringing someone in to hire the next football coach. I don't think I would bring in Mac, but it would be nice to see Bohn bring in someone to consult him on his next hire (whenever that may be)

I liked Al's idea of bringing someone in to hire the next football coach. I don't think I would bring in Mac, but it would be nice to see Bohn bring in someone to consult him on his next hire (whenever that may be)

ummm.... sorta like we did with Hawkins? (psst... his name was Neinas)

Never doubt Big Al... He knows Bohn is doing well financially for the school. I have heard him say that on his show. I fully believe he brought up the Bohn issue solely to put pressure on him to get this thing done. When the pressure is applied to Hawkins, that is one thing, but when you start lumping Bohn onto the same moving truck, then Bohn will get the message or the media will be pouncing on him very soon if nothing happens.

He basically said he doesn't trust Bohn to make the next hiring decision. He wants Bohn fired.

Re: Logan, a caller brought it up and that's when Al said he would be a great hire. I don't know if Al really thinks that or if he was just being agreeable with the caller....

A few weeks ago, I also heard him say that in year 4, Hawkins should have been competing for a national championship. Really, Al?? The coach YOU played for didn't even do that. :rolleyes:

Have not heard Al saying he has offered to help, but also don't listen to him every day. Doubt the AD would turn him down if he was offering money. However, as posted earlier, maybe there was a Miami situation where he offered to run a clinic for HS kids or something and the AD said no thank you. Just speculating.

As for Logan, he is an unknown outside of Colorado. Gerry Faust is a perfect example and the rule as to why you don't hire a high school coach for a big time football program.

I don't think these football players have quite as much money as everyone thinks they have. I mean I am sure Al is set for life, but I doubt his radio show pays him a whole lot. The impression I got was more that he wanted to help out by being around for events, and involved with more stuff the University does. Not really sure what that means but I get the feeling that the AD and University didn't exactly jump at the opportunity.

I know I have heard him before say that Logan would not be a good HC for CU as that name always comes up. I guess when you hear something crazy often enough you start to come around to the idea a little bit. Or maybe it is is just that Hawk is so bad that anything would be better as long as Hawk is gone.

Back