What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alright, so how do we match up against Washington?

BerkeleyBuff

After a slow start in Week 1, the Huskies really picked it up against Montana. Their offense was rolling fast and didn't let up, with 21, 14, 14, and 14 points each quarter.

The good news is that our defense is surprising everybody and will be head and shoulders above the competition that Huskies offense has faced thus far.

The bad news is that their offense can strike in a hurry, and just one or two busted plays by our defense could immediately mean points for the Huskies, whereas our offense has been sleepwalking for too much of the first two games.

The good news, part 2 is that this game is at Folsom, and that is always an advantage. The good news, part 3 is we'll be returning players who were suspended in time for a final tune-up against UNC.

I don't think we win this one. But I don't think it's an impossible task, either.

If we are truly holding back like we all hope we are, then I like our chances. If we are as out of sync as we look, we have issues.

We're gonna win 48-3. Lol. We have a punchers chance. Will be a great gauge as to where this team really is.

we're not ready for them right now. our Buffs have another week to try to get ready.

I think the only thing I'm not sure of is the physical nature of the play at the LOS. Will our DLs hold up? I'm concerned with that, as I am vs. USC, Stanford and UCLA. All are Power football teams.

I'm with liver. If we played them next week, we would get rolled. And even though we have another week to prepare, I'd bet we lose by 20 or 30. It sucks, but it may be what the team needs at this point.

We've gotta force turnovers, get short fields, take care of the rock, etc. Plus wouldn't hurt to get a momentum play on ST. Also gotta cash in on those things. They are better than we are. Momentum is huge in college football.

From I've seen - not good. From what I don't know (super secret game planning and intensity)- maybe ok??

Are we really holding back secret plays and dialing down our intensity so that we can surprise Washington? I just can't see it.

If we can't execute vanilla, then we sure can't execute neapolitan. More importantly, Peterson lead teams are always ready to play their best, regardless of what we throw at them. I'm afraid Washington isn't going to care about us opening our playbook.

Are we really holding back secret plays and dialing down our intensity so that we can surprise Washington? I just can't see it.

If we can't execute vanilla, then we sure can't execute neapolitan. More importantly, Peterson lead teams are always ready to play their best, regardless of what we throw at them. I'm afraid Washington isn't going to care about us opening our playbook.
I think the offensive line play will improve noticeably with Irwin back and Frazier back to help block. That is the position group where I saw the least intensity the past two games.

I think we are holding back many plays, but you're right in that we're not executing our vanilla playbook as well as we should. HCMM said the same in his post-game press conference. I'm hoping the corrections are as small as he says so that we can clean most of it up before the Washington game.

If Montez is dialed in and we win the turnover battle we can win a close one. I'm actually feeling pretty good about our special teams. (Knock on wood!) I don't see many scenarios where we win if we have more turnovers.

We've definitely been running a pretty limited playbook on offense the last couple weeks. Assuming that this has been strategic and not because the players aren't "getting it," it should be much better against UW.

The intensity and effort in running that playbook have been lackluster at best. That worries me.

A lot.

You don't just dial that up for "big games." You have it in practice, you have it small games, you have it big games.

Or you don't have it.

Washington played like crap last year in an early season game in Tucson and nearly lost. A win is not impossible, but we'll probably need a similar effort from Washington to win.

I can't really remember an instance where we apparently "held back" early in the season only to surprise everyone when we unleashed the full playbook on some unsuspecting team a few games in. I suspect that isn't really all that common.

Couple things that give me hope that we could pull out a victory.

Revenge- I think the team will not want to be embarrassed like they were last year in the pac-12 championship

O-line- I think Irwin will make a huge difference. Our O-line was decent last year and awful the year before and awful so far this year. Common denominator is Irwin played last year and not two years ago or so far this year.

Home Field Advantage- Haven't lost at home in over a year. Place should be packed.

Montez- I think he will improve next week against UNC (mostly because of film on his misthrows and reads) and the o-line improves. Montez is such a confident guy it can get him in trouble against lower opponents and succeed against better opponents. Classic example of playing up and down to your competition.

Montez seemed to get it in the 2nd half, it's okay to hit the short guy instead of the bomb every time it's in play.

I think too much is being made of the opening the playbook thing. Yeah, I'm sure that the coaches want to have new wrinkles and a specific game plan for UW, but that's nothing new.

Attitude, on the other hand, I think was a legitimate issue yesterday that I don't think you'll have an issue with in two weeks. The team did not come out fired up and did not show much intensity against TSU. Frustrating, but I wouldn't be too worried about it right now. Light years difference between playing a noon game in a half empty stadium against a team you figure you'll roll, and playing against a top ten team in a (hopefully) loud and raucous stadium on (presumably) national TV.

It's annoying that the kids didn't go out and knock TSU out early, but I'm holding off on presuming that was a portent of things to come.

I can't really remember an instance where we apparently "held back" early in the season only to surprise everyone when we unleashed the full playbook on some unsuspecting team a few games in. I suspect that isn't really all that common.
Kansas State sometime around 2003 or 2004. I remember thinking "who is running this offense and what has he done to Shawn Watson?" I saw plays in that game we had never shown before. Otherwise, you are correct, it's pretty unusual.

Question, Montez isn't comfortable in the pocket just yet. That's gonna take some time to remedy as well. In the meantime, why not use it a bit? Run some sprintout plays etc until his comfort level gets better.

I'm in the camp that considers Montez to be a little immature/unprepared to hold the reins. However, I think he is probably one of those infuriating players who plays to the level of jos competition. He needs to grow beyond that, but I think that's why he played well/relatively well last year, and should step up his game as the year progresses.

If not, I think Noyer is pretty damned capable of taking over. Not an ideal situation, but. It the end of bowl hopes, either.

Go Buffs!

I don't think it's that big of a stretch to think the staff has been spending more of the offseason prepping for UW than our OOC opponents. Yes, they need to have the players focused on and respect each game and give each opponent their due scouting and prep time, but teams often make changes with specific opponents in mind.

I don't believe they are just going to flip a switch for UW and all of the sudden be a completely new offense we've never seen. However, I do believe there are probably some new wrinkles to the offense that they purposely haven't put on film yet. I also think the conservative, vanilla playcalling and general game strategy has been, more or less, done on purpose as well.

Back