What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre (Edit: LEAVING FOR NBA)

I couldn't find your post on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round picks, I apologize. Long thread. And I don't think all second rounders are destined for the D league. I think Andre Roberson is. Generally speaking, a guy who is not improving his game in college is going to have a hard time improving vs much better competition. That’s why I think he’s going to have a hard time making a team, even if drafted.

Just for some perspective, 26 of the 60 players drafted last year spent time in the D-league. Of those 26, 15 were 2nd rounders.
Out of the 30 2nd round draft picks, 10 went straight to Europe (or just stayed there because they were already playing Euro-League).
That leaves 20 guys who were 2nd rounders that actually stayed in the NBA. Of those 20, 15 spent at least some time in the D-league, so I would say being a 2nd round draft pick makes you a near lock to get demoted at some point if not for the entire year.

Just for some perspective, 26 of the 60 players drafted last year spent time in the D-league. Of those 26, 15 were 2nd rounders.
Out of the 30 2nd round draft picks, 10 went straight to Europe (or just stayed there because they were already playing Euro-League).
That leaves 20 guys who were 2nd rounders that actually stayed in the NBA. Of those 20, 15 spent at least some time in the D-league, so I would say being a 2nd round draft pick makes you a near lock to get demoted at some point if not for the entire year.

How many of those draftees were from Europe?

How many of those draftees were from Europe?

I'm not looking at it right now, but if memory serves 1 Euro went to the D-league, and 3 American college players went to Europe. I guess that would make 7 Euro's who just stayed in Europe.

So 14 of the 15 2nd rounders who spent time in the D-League were college kids.
All 11 of the 1st rounders who spent time in the D-league were college kids.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Andre's biggest issue is his offense, which in all honesty, he never really improved upon under Boyle. It is hard to say if offense is really Boyle's coaching forte, so why stick around for a year to "improve your draft stock" when you could find diversify your coaching and try to work on the weakspot.

The decision is long past over... we should all support a fellow Buff and hope he is as successful as former Buffs (like C Copeland).

I couldn't find your post on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round picks, I apologize. Long thread. And I don't think all second rounders are destined for the D league. I think Andre Roberson is. Generally speaking, a guy who is not improving his game in college is going to have a hard time improving vs much better competition. That’s why I think he’s going to have a hard time making a team, even if drafted.
Dre won't be drafted for his offense though. He'll be drafted as an athletic rebounder and defender who can run the floor. He just needs to show enough initially to justify a spot on the end of a bench, and see if he can carve out a role from there. As a rookie, he actually has an advantage here, as the salary scale is lower, so a team can sit him on the bench for just under 500k, instead of the 1m+ they'd be paying a more established veteran. It's a cost-efficient gamble for teams to keep the kids around and see if they ultimately develop into NBA caliber players.

Take a look at the contracts though. Many of those kids had guaranteed deals, so they still made about 500k during their time in the D League.

Take a look at the contracts though. Many of those kids had guaranteed deals, so they still made about 500k during their time in the D League.

Do you have a link? I've tried to find the second round salary info but haven't been able to.

Do you have a link? I've tried to find the second round salary info but haven't been able to.
I'll try to find the link if I have time later, but check out post 89 on page 6 of this thread. I summarized the data there and 15 of 22 2nd rounders last year received at least 1 year guaranteed. Off the top of my head, at least a few of the others were on an NBA roster long enough to have their deals guaranteed, as well.

I have to believe that 'dre and his dad figured second round and a likely stint in the D-League with the belief that his game will develop there. A calculated risk.

I don't know all the advanced metrics stuff, but the one problem that jumps out at me on all the comparable players is that I see nearly all of them as effective three point shooters on top of great defenders. Hopefully Dre can develop the corner three as well.
this. is it too late to rework his jumper?

this. is it too late to rework his jumper?
Eh, shooting is just so hard to develop. By the time a player is leaving college, they have spent hundreds of hours practicing their craft. These guys sink everything in warm ups and open gym type settings. It's just a completely different monster when you put it in a real life game situation, where there's pressure to get the ball up with good form quickly, and where no professional coach is going to give a guy time to get comfortable shooting in game no matter how much they've been practicing. Guys can learn their hot spots and reduce shooting from places they don't like shooting from, but you don't see a lot of players improve their shooting over time.

Roberson is destined to be a mediocre role player in the NBA. If he was quicker, he might be more like a Shawn Marion. But at his height/weight, and with limited offense, his high IQ and motor might not matter much.

Eh, shooting is just so hard to develop. By the time a player is leaving college, they have spent hundreds of hours practicing their craft. These guys sink everything in warm ups and open gym type settings. It's just a completely different monster when you put it in a real life game situation, where there's pressure to get the ball up with good form quickly, and where no professional coach is going to give a guy time to get comfortable shooting in game no matter how much they've been practicing. Guys can learn their hot spots and reduce shooting from places they don't like shooting from, but you don't see a lot of players improve their shooting over time.

Roberson is destined to be a mediocre role player in the NBA. If he was quicker, he might be more like a Shawn Marion. But at his height/weight, and with limited offense, his high IQ and motor might not matter much.

Michael Jordan and Larry Bird beg to differ! But then what do THEY know about basketball.......compared to you?

Andre Roberson not in the latest nbadraft.net mock, either. Not good news at all for him to be absent from the two major mock draft sites.

Michael Jordan and Larry Bird beg to differ! But then what do THEY know about basketball.......compared to you?
Ball-Kick-Fail.gif

The draft board is always adding Euros. Measuring in shorter than expected and shooting poorly didn't help the stock, he will have to impress in workouts to bring back some draft value.

He's gonna have to find a special situation. It happens for a few guys each year...

Last edited:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/211428641.html

Comments from a workout for the Milwaukee Bucks:

UW-Milwaukee senior guard Paris Gulley also took part in Thursday's session, along with 6-10 forward A.J. Matthews of Division III Farmingdale State (N.Y.), 6-2 guard Kevin Foster of Santa Clara and 6-7 forward Andre Roberson of Colorado.
McKinney said Roberson, the 2013 Pac-12 defensive player of the year, is an interesting prospect.
"Andre Roberson at one point in the year was a possible first-round pick," McKinney said. "He came out of school early (as a junior). He's had some trouble with his outside shooting but is very athletic and a very good rebounder.
"He's a guy who is going to be a work in progress. You've got to be able to shoot in this league if you're going to play the small forward position. But much like Shawn Marion when he came into the league, Andre Roberson rebounds extremely well for a small forward. And he can defend the ball pretty well.
"I'm not sure he quite fits with us because we need scoring at that position, someone that can stretch the floor. But nonetheless he's still an NBA prospect."

Back