1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently CU is a school that Cares about Football Success

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by boydbuff, Feb 5, 2015.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

We have had years of bitching and bickering on AB and everywhere about whether the administration cares enough about football (pretty clearly they did not before). But even the glass half-empty people should be wetting their pants almost from the following:

1) Stepped up with a big salary to hire a top notch guy to replace MB
    2) Agreed to put up a competitive salary package for our football coaches
    3) Got behind RG to help finance a massive facilities project that many claim will be competitive with most of our competitors
    4) HCMM apparently pushed out lower performing coaches and replaced them, with RG's help, with some clearly superior replacements

Things are looking up in Buff land. With hoops not doing so well, IMHO there is reason to believe we might be returning to becoming a football school with a good/decent hoops team.

Now if we can just improve our recruiting and wins in 2015 and 2016, we will all become believers.

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

They are taking steps in that direction.

Everything is in place, there are no excuses now. Win Baby, Win.

3. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

These all great things, it just needs to happen on the most important place now, the field. I will say it is a great time to hold our collective heads up as Buff fans.

4. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Lets see if translates to field.

5. Shldr2Shldr

Really want to sell out the Home Opener. The staff and the admin have done their part to at least put us on competitive footing. its out turn to give back and be a part of it. They will need to earn the butts and the seats over the course of the season, but no reason fans cannot sell out the home opener.

6. boydbuff

This is the big question of course. I would post another thread but I have done enough for now. Someone should post a poll predicting wins in 2015 now that we know who our coaches are and how our recruiting filled out.

7. Shldr2Shldr

Need to wait until after spring and see how the depth chart looks.

8. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think we should have a new season prediction thread at the start of every month.

9. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I have to type "4 wins" every month?

10. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I get really tired of hearing radio hosts and callers talking about how CU does not care about football. I think we are past that. But, you guys are correct. We need to see results. But I'd say that bu forking over $150,000,000 to improve facilities and, I'm betting, in the $700K range for a DC, CU is taking its football seriously again.

Buffs@5345' likes this.
  11. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Would Leavitt have even been on the table a couple years ago under Bohn? Methinks not?

Thankfully RG is kicking ass and taking whoever will get us to the top, baggage or not.

12. Shldr2Shldr

Not sure the admin would have let it happen then. RG and the fact the admin is staying out of the way and opening the checkbook opens a lot of options.

Buffs@5345' likes this.
  13. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

fify. This is HCMM's hire. RG did a good job giving him the resources and freedom to go get his guy though.

14. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Wow! When, in your mind, did you cross that line?

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  15. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Correct. Nice collaboration.

16. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

I hope I'm wrong and that we sell out, but there's two reasons it won't sell out that I'll offer:
    1. history. CU hasn't sold out a home game in years. the hiring of a new D-coord and stadium upgrades won't move the needle significantly with the casual fans who've given up on the Buffs and stopped coming to games. (now, prove me wrong casual CU fans -- I like my crow served medium rare).
    2. it's UMass. lacks the appeal of a conference opponent, traditional rival, legendary 'powerhouse', opponent of local interest or even the appeal of newly-ranked upstart.

17. Buffs@5345'

Buffs@5345' Club Member Club Member

I'll get to see back to back wins over UMASS......hell yeah!

I love that this came on the heels of RG telling the media he had had enough of the RMS. Give the local news one day to pump the goat and then come back with a big splash. Sure it will get less play, but I for one feel much better now than I did after watching the 6am news.

18. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Rick George is a big part of this-He got the fundraising deal done, he got donors lined up to put us in a position to afford somebody with Jim Leavitt's resume, and he's the one who is playing chess to little brother's checkers right now. MM did a nice job with these hires, but we probably have Tumpkin as the new DC if Bohnhead is still here. Having an AD who understands the importance of football and athletics in general to a university goes a long way.

19. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

I love what I'm seeing from the AD right now and the steps made on facilities, but I just don't trust DiStefano. ****er's a politician and he's going to screw us someway/somehow down the road. And like a politician, it will go unnoticed for a long time and then bite us in the ass.

I just don't feel the AD is truly safe unless he's gone.

20. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

The guys on the fan this morning who are usually super negative about CU were actually pretty fair this morning. They talked the whole commute about the RMS and how CU kind of holds all the cards. I haven't been hearing the usual negativity.

21. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

This is the first time since probably 2009 that I am actually salivating for the season to begin!:bounce:

Eggon likes this.
  22. pcbuff

pcbuff Well-Known Member

Nienas..

23. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Were now the best worst team in the conference on paper. Yay us. :lol:

Ill reserve judgement until about game 4 or 5 of next season. If its still ugly then Ill waiting for the recruitingbots to call for the same doom/slightly less doom/slightly more doom....

But on paper, yeah. We're the bees knees.

24. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Well you should have listened to Sandy and Scott. Sandy was talking about CU paranoia as a fan base and how RG messed up with the PR side of things on the CSU series announcement. That along with yesterday saying CSU's recruiting was better than CU's on paper just because he read a story about how we lost Hockaday and how CSU kept all of thier commitments. Some of the dumbest s*** I have ever heard.

25. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Six months ago?

26. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

Denver sports radio sucks. #understatementoftheyear

27. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Denver? Outside of big events listening to sports radio is worse than Journey. And I ****ing hate Journey

28. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Nails to the chalkboard listening to Big Al and DMac attempt a conversation on college sports. Go back to talking about the potential 7th rounder TE combine results. While giving adulterer Elway a reach around.

29. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

9 news did a story on CSUs recruits. No mention of CU's staff upgrades.

30. boydbuff

In some regard I say **** the local Denver media. Reason is they have been biased against CU for a long time. Not sure if it is because we are the biggest and "best" school in the state and they root for the underdogs, or if there are other reasons.

But you look at who is winning the recruiting battle for the top in-state athletes and it is definitely us. We almost always win the recruiting battle between CSU and CU even when an athlete was previously committed to CSU and CSU had been on them much longer.

It seems HCMM had been doing a great job committing to getting to know the HS coaches and building networks in the state. We start winning more and the media will have a hard time ignoring or openly criticizing the program.