1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are things aligning for a Buffs resurgence?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Last time we were great, it happened at a time when Texas, Texas A&M, USC and UCLA were down.

Obviously, when that happens it makes recruiting in California and Texas much easier for Colorado. Throw in the timing of a new conference, new coach and a renewed administrative commitment to athletics at CU and the time is right.

This next hire is essential for CU. We will never have things set up this well for us again. We need to hire a coach who has proven he can do it at the BCS level as a head coach. Whatever it costs, we need to make this happen.

2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think people might want to tap the brakes on the demise of Texas. A&M actually had its greatest consistent success from 1985-1995, right around the same time we were experiencing great success.

The downturn of USC and UCLA is of much more relevance. We need to take advantage of that, especially considering ASU is in a similar situation to us. That is half the Pac-12 South division right there.

3. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

Ask me in 3-5 yrs. Even with a good/great coach, that's how long it's going to take to pull this thing out of the ditch. Agree coaching hire is crucial. Miss on this one, and CU football will be pretty well perma-****ed. Our next coach will need to go bowling with next year's seniors to attract recruits. After they graduate, I'm not sure CU has the talent on the team to win 6 if Knute Rockney were HC.

Wouldn't count on pulling recruits out of TX. UT is down, but not the way they were back then. Don't think anyone apart from a Gruden could out-recruit Mack on his turf without building a record first. USC down a little - we need them to stay that way until at least mid-decade. UCLA going nowhere as long as skippy's at the helm. LA could be a goldmine for us, but like you said Nik we gotta have the right staff and probably win a few games if we want kids looking our way again.

4. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I think it looks nice, but I mean have we ever been able to beat Texas for kids from Texas? It seems like our focus is usually more of the type of kids that Texas overlooks. The 4* types. Same with USC in socal. We need to be beating out the A&M's of the world for the Texas kids and the UCLA's of the world for the west coast kids. Lately it seems we have taken a back seat to UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Washinton, ASU, and Utah on the west coast. In Texas we barely even have an impact.

5. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Texas wont stay down. But we should concentrate our efforts on So Cal. Even in our prime years the majority of our talent came out of there. Sure we got some from Texas and the Houston area, but SO Cal was our true pipeline. With USC and UCLA down, we need to attack! Best recipe is to get Bieniemy on staff and let him loose on that area!