What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Arizona Game - Official Thread (10/7, 6 PM, Pac-12 Network)

Our total lack of success in recruiting the front 7 on defense can't be overcome now.

I have no idea why we don't have 4 JUCO DL coming in next year.
What about the kid Sami who is grey shirting. Is he any good?

Sort of. Can't really blame the defensive personnel on Eliot, Els and Brown right now.

My comment was more to the “Just make adjustments” crowd. I fully recognize recruiting is on the coaches, however, nobody on this defense was truly an Eliot recruit.

Do you guys think the defensive personnel is going to be dramatically different next season? Is there real any chance a senior starter like Gamboa will be benched? If not, the whole idea it's not Eliot's personnel goes out the window.

Do you guys think the defensive personnel is going to be dramatically different next season? Is there real any chance a senior starter like Gamboa will be benched? If not, the whole idea it's not Eliot's personnel goes out the window.
I think there’s a chance Javier, Mulumba and others can develop to a similar level of what Tupou, Samson and Carroll did in 2016, and hoping the younger LBs push for PT, but I think you’re missing the broader point, at least in my post.

Since when things go well we give all credit to Mac, he has to take some flak when things don't go well too. If talent is **** at best in the front 7, some of that is on the HC either signing off on the recruits or on him for allowing the position coaches so much leeway in signing these guys.

I think there’s a chance Javier, Mulumba and others can develop to a similar level of what Tupou, Samson and Carroll did in 2016, and hoping the younger LBs push for PT, but I think you’re missing the broader point, at least in my post.

I got your point and I think you undersell the talent problem on this team.

So you agree that the coaching staff couldn’t just make some adjustments, and that talent is the bigger issue?
They neither made adjustments nor were prepared well to begin with. Assignments and run fit were horrible.

So you agree that the coaching staff couldn’t just make some adjustments, and that talent is the bigger issue?

Pretty much.

How many front seven players do we have who are all-conference caliber? One? That's not good.

Weren't you one of the most vocal critics of anyone not happy with our recruiting the last few years? Trust Mac because of what he did at SJSU, stars don't matter, we just need guys who will stay with the program for 4-5 years, Mac has an eye for talent, etc. Pretty sure you and holic were leading that charge. Glad you've started to come around.

Weren't you one of the most vocal critics of anyone not happy with our recruiting the last few years? Trust Mac because of what he did at SJSU, stars don't matter, we just need guys who will stay with the program for 4-5 years, Mac has an eye for talent, etc. Pretty sure you and holic were leading that charge. Glad you've started to come around.
Well, part of my original stance was that recruiting top talent to this program in 2013-2015 was damn near impossible due to the well documented issues, but yes, in general I’ve changed my attitude toward recruiting. After the USC, UW and OSU games last year, it became apparent to me that he is going to need far better talent across the coward to consistently compete with those caliber programs.

Well, part of my original stance was that recruiting top talent to this program in 2013-2015 was damn near impossible due to the well documented issues, but yes, in general I’ve changed my attitude toward recruiting. After the USC, UW and OSU games last year, it became apparent to me that he is going to need far better talent across the coward to consistently compete with those caliber programs.
Yesterday would be slightly easier to swallow if recruiting was going well. We could chalk it up to losing a bunch of players and coaches, but at least we're capitalizing on last year's success and landing more talented players. We're not doing that, we're putting together (on paper) a pretty mediocre class which would be more concerning to me than taking a step back on the field this year. There are far too many below average recruiters on this staff who are not making up for it by being above average coaches.

The front 7 on defense recruiting got majorly exposed last night. It was almost comical watching in person because you could see the dline and linebackers absolutely getting destroyed on majority of plays. At some point you have to realize recruiting matters at this level, until that changes, this a 3-5 win team most years with the occasional 2016 type team that has perfect leadership and lack of good teams in the South.

I think this team still has talent at certain positions, but if last night didn't expose the issues on this staff, it never will with this head coach.

Last edited:
Another point. Was it an issue that we just couldn't stop Tate and Arizona's run game, or CU wouldn't make the necessary adjustments? It seemed we were in the same base defense the whole game, but regardless if it was Tate or Dawkins you knew what was coming. Hard for me to see from the stands, but I think Tate completely changed that game. This team maybe snake bitten and just finds ways to lose.

I think they will get some guys in and that the 2017 recruits will be much more ready to take on major roles. I can't see Gamboa getting benched, but I can see him being substituted more plays like they did when they had Gillam last year.

CU should have enough talent to keep a team like Arizona from averaging 10 yards a play. Allowing the QB to run at will shows a team that made no adjustments. Tate averaged over 23 yards a carry - that is totally ridiculous.

Talent may be part of the issue but coaching is also part of the problem.

CU should have enough talent to keep a team like Arizona from averaging 10 yards a play. Allowing the QB to run at will shows a team that made no adjustments. Tate averaged over 23 yards a carry - that is totally ridiculous.

Talent may be part of the issue but coaching is also part of the problem.
Talent is most of the issue. Guys were in position to make plays and didn’t.

I thought they needed to be way more physical on the edge and couldn't. Moeller and Worthington were beat consistently on the outside.

I thought they needed to be way more physical on the edge and couldn't. Moeller and Worthington were beat consistently on the outside.
and Moeller has been a stud for us? could you imagine if he wasn't out there??

What adjustment should have been made? everyone keeps saying that. I agree we should have adjusted, But how do you stop a QB with pretty good ball fakes and misdirection? Blitz like crazy from a zone D? Go man and blitz both LBs up the middle? Drop a LB into coverage and blitz the safety?

What adjustment should have been made? everyone keeps saying that. I agree we should have adjusted, But how do you stop a QB with pretty good ball fakes and misdirection? Blitz like crazy from a zone D? Go man and blitz both LBs up the middle? Drop a LB into coverage and blitz the safety?
Don't you think they have to try something? Sub in an actual linebacker for Moeller? Sub in an extra defensive lineman, put the safety down in the box more, I'm not sure but whatever they were doing clearly wasn't working. I think a 5 man front with 2 linebackers and a safety down at about 7 yards could have been better but I am obviously on a much lower level than our coaches so who knows.

Can not wait to see ucla D against tate this Saturday. Of course ucla has tape on him now.

Once it becomes obvious that it’s the QB that’s gashing you, you go after him on every play. Put 8 in the box and run blitz. Play tight on the receivers and make him beat you with his arm (which he also seemed capable of).

Some of you guys make it sound like Tate is some super human being - not really, CU just made him look like that. He was second string for a reason. Giving up 23.4 yards per carry and some of you guys claim there were no adjustments to be made. Rich Rod's Offense is based on reading the defensive set and attacking the weakness. You have a backup QB in there so disguise some of your sets - make it harder to read your defense. Against the zone read, tell your guys to tackle the QB on every play - if he has the ball or not.

One excuse seems to be we do not have the talent to defend the Arizona offense - I buy only part of that. Arizona did not even average 10 yards a play against Northern Arizona and we must have more talent then they do.

Second excuse - Tate is superman and we had no Krytonite. Don't buy it, the guy has been around a couple of years, was unable to beat out Dawkins and has never shown anything close to what we saw on Saturday.

I believe something else is going on with this team. News flash - Arizona was projected to finish last in the PAC 12 South and up to this game had not shown anything to date that would refute that projection. If we are losing to the worst team in the South, that is cause for concern.

Tate was a very highly recruited QB with great athletic ability and it showed. It's not like we just got shredded by some walk on back up scrub.

Tate was a very highly recruited QB with great athletic ability and it showed. It's not like we just got shredded by some walk on back up scrub.

You are right, I am so sorry. I did not realize that he was a highly ranked recruit...that changes everything. We should check every team and let their 4 and 5 stars just walk all over us. Do you think Sam Darnold will average 30 yards per attempt against us, he was highly touted coming out of HS.

[Sarcasm Off] No QB or running back should average 23 yards per attempt against a team in the same weight class. Show me where someone has done that with over 10 attempts. It does not happen. There is no excuse for what happened.

It seems you were the guy last week saying our defense was better against teams like Arizona.

Reactions: SBG
I'm glad we don't play Stanford this year. Bryce Love would put up 400 yards.

Back