1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article on Xavier Talton, and the upcoming PG battle

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by rolandftw, May 29, 2014.

1. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_25860991/colorado-mens-basketball-buffs-talton-ready-take-next

Love Talton's attitude. Know I'm in the minority on this, but really hope he wins the PG battle. I suspect Tad wants Jaron Hopkins to win it because he's definitely the best athlete on the team, and an improved Jaron that can handle the ball better, attack the basket and make his free throws is a very scary CU team. Fans in general, seem to want Dom to win it

With the rest of our starting lineup basically set, who do you think wins the starting PG spot?

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I really don't care who starts.

What I'm hoping for is that with XT, J-Hop and Dom that we have 3 guys who are capable of finishing.

Love reading that XT decided to stay in Boulder this summer to lift weights, take a ton of shots, and work on his game.

3. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Think they are both going to play a lot. If Hopkins makes the advancement that would be expected in the off-season he may be the best bet to get the team off to a hot start in games.

Talton may be the best bet for the guy to come in off the bench and be the change of pace guy giving a defensive boost and more stability.

Trying to guess on what Tad finally decides to do though is hard because I don't think he is locked into his ideas before seeing how guys do on the floor.

4. Professor3

Professor3 Member

I'm hoping that X wins the starting PG spot. He has solid leadership potential. He isn't erratic. He's talented, capable and dependable.

5. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Xavier has improved more than any single player in one season that I can remember. Can't wait to see where he ends up.

6. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

help me understand why Booker isn't considered here -- I'm sure the explanation is obvious, but not occurring to me at the moment. Wasn't he effectively playing PG the second half of the season?

7. BuffTE41

BuffTE41 Member

I'll preface this post by saying that I really XT's offensive game. He really can shoot well and was a reliable 3 point shooter throughout the season.

However, I'm concerned with his ability to guard the 3. He got absolutely brutalized many times last season when taller players would simply shoot over him. Is there anything you can do to improve your vertical jump? He needs to be able to contest shots better.

8. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

Im looking forward to this and have been happy with his development so far. If he wasnt a strong leader and coming into his own - if not for him we probably would have lost v utah and that could have really sent the season into a tail spin.

glad he is staying around this year. I think lots of those guys with talent (him & XJ) noticed how much jelly grew and improved last summer and they want that for themselves

9. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ski & J-Hop both look more natural at the 2 spot, but I don't want to see a Ski/XT grouping too often bc of the lack of size when there's so many other options. Ultimately, you have to hope for a Ski/J-Hop starting pair bc the ceiling is so much higher. XT did look more confident in *some* games but it wasn't consistent. He's a reserve PG with a decent jumper, OK handle, but little playmaking skills. Ski is a senior, a playmaker, and has loads of confidence. Have to give him the inside track as the starting PG. Then have J-Hop & Fletch take the 2 spot

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  10. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

The hope for me would be that J-Hop wins the PG spot and that Dom can be eased into things

Then the following year you have a backcourt of J-Hop and Dom with XT staying at the bench PG role both years

11. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Um, Josh Scott?

12. absinthe

I dont want to rely on him and i hate always being "young" but part of me hopes Collier comes in and is a total boss playing high 20 minute ranges from the get go.

13. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Honestly, I want to see J-Hop win the position. But that's because I think the kid has the most freakish talent on this entire team. But, if he doesn't, I honestly feel good about any of the three running the point. XT has proven that he's a quality player and his game was solid & steady. My concern with XT is that of the three, he's the worst defender of the group (assuming Dom's abilities live up to his HS levels). Dom is exciting because he's probably the most "pure PG" we have of the group. There is a concern of a true frosh running the team, but others have done it.

This is a good problem to have.

14. Buffnik

I'm kind of with you. But Ski is still a gunner at heart. We're better when he can play the 2 guard.

15. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

If we're moving up a notch, Talton comes off the bench. Not saying we can't find success with him starting...he could handle it as he continues to mature. However, in an ideal situation he's coming off the bench. Consistency and defense are issues.

16. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Both can be overcome by off-season work and experience. XT had the lowest level of HS/AAU competition coming in to the program and thus a low level of confidence he could even play at this level. Now that he's figured out he can play, he improvement will likely continue; staying in Boulder means he's willing to work on his game. Tomlinson showed the advantages of an upperclassman running point, at the expense of more talented players sitting. Really haven't had a true #1 since he graduated.

Now, if Collier was coming in with Leonard Smart's body, I'd say start him, hands down, but he's way-undersized. Go with the steady, if unspectacular XT.

17. Buffnik

The consistency can be overcome with work. Defense can be improved, but XT doesn't have elite lateral quickness and he never will. He's simply not the athlete that J-Hop is or even Nate was.

He can build on his success from last year without having to be a starter. If he improves his handle and gets his FT shooting to an 80% level, he'll get a lot of minutes and be on the court at the end of most games.

18. Goose

XT is 6'2", 180 lbs.

Dom is 6'2", 166 lbs.

19. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Unfortunately, outside of J-Hop, we don't have a guard with Dinwiddie's size. They just don't exist. The mayor is an anomaly, which is why he will be so valuable in the NBA.

20. Buff2004

Buff2004 New Member

Collier will win the PG spot by Pac12 play IMO. He is a natural playmaker and can get after opposing PGs full court. Hopkins will be better off in a slasher role until he figures out his jumper. Talton will provide stability off the bench or even at the beginning of the season until Dom gets some minutes.

21. Squeegee

Squeegee New Member

I think you guys are underestimating Talton. I went to the Pac 12 tourney and I thought he was the second best player on the team next to Booker. He was the only other guy that could hit a jump shot. All of the AZ fans were asking me about him, so they saw something in him too. Scott was somewhat ineffective because no one had to guard Gordon. My bet is that Talton starts and is will be pretty effective. Nothing against Dom, in fact I'm an East High grad myself, but after watching him play, I just think he'll need some time to get stronger.

22. Buffnik

XT has had some good performances, but he's a long way from being the 2nd best player on the team.

1. Josh Scott
    2. Askia Booker
    3. Xavier Johnson

Then, we'll see. When Gordon's right, he's #4. XT is probably #5, but DT, Fletch and J-Hop have the potential to surpass him this year. Collier and Miller could also. I think the Top 3 are safe, with maybe some reshuffling of XJ to #2, depending on whether XJ or Ski is the guy who steps up with consistent performances like their 2013-14 "best 1/3 of their games" performances.

23. Squeegee

Squeegee New Member

Talent wise, definitely not. But at the tournament XJ was invisible and Scott was double teamed and not strong enough to overcome teams doubling him. All of the freshmen looked scared.

24. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

It's really nice to see Tad developing competition for this squad. With the early (and reasonable) defections to the NBA, it's been something that has been much delayed.

25. Goose

* Talton in the P12 tournament - 7.333 ppg, 2.67 rpg, 1 apg
    * Talton in the NCAA tournament - 3 ppg, 1 rpg, 0 apg

* Jelly in the P12 tournament - 9.33 ppg, 5.67 rpg, 0.67 apg
    * Jelly in the NCAA tournament - 14 ppg, 6 rpg, 0 apg

* XJ in the P12 tournament - 10.67 ppg, 5.33 rpg, 0.33 apg
    * XJ in the NCAA tournament - 11 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg

26. absinthe

can we see this in comparison to season averages?

27. Goose

PPGRPGAPG
    Talton Season4.92.21.6
    Talton P12 Tourney7.32.71.0
    Talton NCAA Tourney3.01.00.0
    Jelly Season14.18.40.6
    Jelly P12 Tourney9.35.70.7
    Jelly NCAA Tourney14.06.00.0
    XJ Season12.05.90.8
    XJ P12 Tourney10.75.30.3
    XJ NCAA Tourney11.04.01.0

If I had time, I'd try to come up with the per 40 minutes stats. (Paging JG)

28. Squeegee

Squeegee New Member

Point taken, they had better numbers but they also had plays run for them where I'm really don't think Talton has anything run for him. Not sure its fair to add in one NCAA game where we got blown out.

29. Buffnik

There's also a higher degree of difficulty when a player is the focal point of your offense and their defense.

I agree on the NCAA game stats. Meaningless. All stats were accumulated in garbage time.

30. Goose

That's my mistake. I forgot in the first post you specified P12 tourney. In the second one you just said "in the tourney", so I put both to cover my bases.

I like XT. He's a good player for us. But he's not our second best player. And never will be. That's not an insult on him, but more of praise for the talent we have here.