What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

As of Early Signing Period - 2018 Class Grade

What grade would you give the 2018 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • A-

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • B+

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • B

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • B-

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • C+

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • C-

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
We finished in the 35 to 45 range if you believe the recruiting sites. Prior to last year, we fell into the 70ish range. We need to be, MUST be consistently in the 20 or better range. That means a minimum of four 4 star type guys per year. This staff needs to raise the bar. Being in the 35 to 45 range will no longer cut it.

You know, I don’t think it really matters. Our “ranking”, however it ends up, won’t make this class any different than it is. And it’s a really good class.

????

What a pathetically sad view of this program. Pulling top 25 classes is only unrealistic because of the current makeup of this coaching staff. If top 35 is all we should expect then you must be satisfied flirting with a 6-6 record every year.

We're currently recruiting behind the following juggernauts:

-Maryland who hasn't had a winning season since 2014 or won more than 7 games since 2010.
-Baylor the former P5 laughingstock who is coming off a rape scandal and a 1-11 season.
-Kentucky - a basketball school who has never won more than 7 games in the history of their program as far as I can tell.
-Tennessee a program that embarrassed themselves very publicly and couldn't get anyone to take their multi-million dollar job.
-Minnesota coming off a 2-7 BIG10 campaign.
-Vanderbilt whose head coach is 18-31 and also serves as their defensive coordinator.
- Ole Miss - sanctions
- Cal - good young coach but it's been a while since they were competing for anything meaningful.
- Nebraska a team who finished their losing season giving up 50 or more points in each of their last 3 games and fired their HC and only announced the hiring of Frost 3 weeks ago.
-Indiana - see Kentucky. The last head coach at Indiana to leave the school with a winning record was Bo McMillan who coached from 1934-1947.
- Rutgers who lost their last 3 games by a combined score of 116-13 including a 41-0 shutout at the hands of mighty Indiana.

I refuse to believe that's where CU realistically belongs. We're coming off a division championship and have the national coach of the year for f**ks sake - that should be worth something.

This is how I know all you do is look at arbitrary lists and say, “Rutgers is ahead of CU so their class is better.”

Yup. All of rivals and having Rutgers down with FIVE 2-star recruits on their list and a worse overall average than CU. Or 247 and their two 2-stars on there and their lower overall average. They’re ahead of CU because they have a single recruit rated 90 and it bumps their “score.” Maryland, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Baylor, cal all filled out their classes with 2 stars. We have none, you really think their classes are better top to bottom? I sure as hell don’t.

It’s hysterically sad how delusional everyone here is about Colorado. We’re not cool. We don’t have Oregon jerseys and Nike money. We don’t have the SEC. We don’t have 100K seat stadiums like the B1G and most of all we don’t have ESPN, national brand recognition or a media presence. Kids these days want ESPN, they want Twitter, they want to be seen, they want a spectacle, it’s all about ME,ME,ME! Nobody CARES about CU but fans of CU right now. You’re making fun of other schools history and past? We’re 29-59 since 2011 and 19-20 the last 3 years! We’re not even .500!! That makes us better than Maryland? How? They haven’t won 7 games since 2014? Okay, erase 2016, when was the last time we won 7 games? We have no ****ing room to be mocking anybody...Why do you guys think Chev immediately jumped on Twitter and recruiting picked up in 2016? Because he was trying to create recognition and excitement where there was none!

You blame the coaches for everything in this program but nobody even takes into consideration the challenges involved. They’re recruiting to a team that has been historically bad for the past 10 years, has
absolutely no presence on ESPN or in the media. One who plays at odd times on odd channels and plays in the middle of nowhere. Nobody east of us wants to play here because they’ll never see their homes. So we fight with the BIG 12/PAC12 to convince kids they want to leave home. Instead of staying in Texas and never going home, California and Oklahoma and never going home. Nick Saban isn’t coming here and neither is Chip Kelly. I can’t think of a coach we could realistically hire that would make kids wet themselves to come play here unless we’re winning.

We’re so behind the curve I can’t even buy Nike jerseys from their website. I’ve been waiting for years to buy a white one, they won’t let me! The way we advertise our program or lack thereof is a joke, total lack of exposure anymore.

You blame the coaches for everything in this program but nobody even takes into consideration the challenges involved. They’re recruiting to a team that has been historically bad for the past 10 years
There's a lot to unpack here and not all of it is intelligible, but it sounds like your overarching thesis is that CU isn't cool, we can't possibly compete with most other P5 programs so this is as good as it gets and we should just learn to deal with it. Well that's a sad, sad conclusion to come to and one I don't share with you. I believe we've raised the budgets on coaching salaries, gotten state law changed to allow multi-year contracts for coaches, and built a $100M football facility because we aspire to be a better program, not to wallow in perpetual mediocrity.

I do take issue with the specific part of your post above - we've had the same coach for the past 5 seasons and this is his 6th recruiting class so if not the coach, then who is responsible for this program? The days of crappy old CU are gone - we played for a conference championship last year and had the national coach of the year so I don't want to hear about poor CU anymore.

There's a lot to unpack here and not all of it is intelligible, but it sounds like your overarching thesis is that CU isn't cool, we can't possibly compete with most other P5 programs so this is as good as it gets and we should just learn to deal with it. Well that's a sad, sad conclusion to come to and one I don't share with you. I believe we've raised the budgets on coaching salaries, gotten state law changed to allow multi-year contracts for coaches, and built a $100M football facility because we aspire to be a better program, not to wallow in perpetual mediocrity.

I do take issue with the specific part of your post above - we've had the same coach for the past 5 seasons and this is his 6th recruiting class so if not the coach, then who is responsible for this program? The days of crappy old CU are gone - we played for a conference championship last year and had the national coach of the year so I don't want to hear about poor CU anymore.

Lol, childish insults, i love it. Sorry I can’t help you with your lack of intelligence. Look at the top 25 teams in the rankings, if you can’t see the difference between us and them I feel bad for you. You can live in fantasy land and I’ll live in reality. This is who CU is right now, you’ll either have to accept that or you’ll always just be sad and bitter. Maybe we can fire all the coaches and miraculously everyone will want to come play for Colorado? That’s one theory. Or, MM and RG have plans and realize they can’t turn this around in a single season and know it takes time to rebuild a reputation.

We can agree one on thing, historically we should be recruiting top 25 easily. Realistically your memories aren’t the ones a 17 year old kid has. But I do take note of your point of the “conference championship” and “coach of the year.” We have 4 kids from last years class ranked below the lowest ranked kid in this class. So there you go, that’s called progress, we’ve upped our quality every single year for the last few years.

Jake Moretti is the only reason last years class ranking/average exceeded this years, he was a 95.

Everything thinks standing up for 2018 thinks you’re settling or accepting mediocrity. 2018 is a step forward in recruiting across the board and a step down in recruiting big name, 4 Star talent from high school. This class is a good stepping stone full of guys who can be starters on a P5 conference team. Next year needs to be another step forward and these 2017/2018 classes need to be starters by spring 2019 otherwise we need to re-evaluate our coaching options. I’m not happy with where we are but I understand that we’re building something.

These kids today are very linear, and I don't blame them. They look at W/L records. In that regard, I still think that the current recruiting class is good. It's a triumph of optimism over cynicism on the part of the kids. Other than the DBs. All great DBs should be lining up to get to CU. That's a triumph of common sense.

Lol, childish insults, i love it. Sorry I can’t help you with your lack of intelligence. Look at the top 25 teams in the rankings, if you can’t see the difference between us and them I feel bad for you. You can live in fantasy land and I’ll live in reality. This is who CU is right now, you’ll either have to accept that or you’ll always just be sad and bitter. Maybe we can fire all the coaches and miraculously everyone will want to come play for Colorado? That’s one theory. Or, MM and RG have plans and realize they can’t turn this around in a single season and know it takes time to rebuild a reputation.

We can agree one on thing, historically we should be recruiting top 25 easily. Realistically your memories aren’t the ones a 17 year old kid has. But I do take note of your point of the “conference championship” and “coach of the year.” We have 4 kids from last years class ranked below the lowest ranked kid in this class. So there you go, that’s called progress, we’ve upped our quality every single year for the last few years.

Jake Moretti is the only reason last years class ranking/average exceeded this years, he was a 95.

Everything thinks standing up for 2018 thinks you’re settling or accepting mediocrity. 2018 is a step forward in recruiting across the board and a step down in recruiting big name, 4 Star talent from high school. This class is a good stepping stone full of guys who can be starters on a P5 conference team. Next year needs to be another step forward and these 2017/2018 classes need to be starters by spring 2019 otherwise we need to re-evaluate our coaching options. I’m not happy with where we are but I understand that we’re building something.
RG and MM realize they can't turn the program around in 1 season?? That's a hot take. :confused:

I don't actually have a huge problem with this class, but more your insistence that top 25 classes are unrealistic - that's compete bulls**t and it's only realistic with the current staff. I did look at the top 25 this year and you know who I see? Programs like Maryland, Mississippi State, Baylor, and NC State. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to compete with those programs right now. Then you have programs like Oregon and Washington who we should be competing with when we're winning regularly. Hell, Penn State went through a much worse scandal than CU more recently but made solid HC hires and are now competing for conference titles, and have a top 5 recruiting class so this idea that it takes a generation to rebuild a program is nonsense.

RG and MM realize they can't turn the program around in 1 season?? That's a hot take. :confused:

I don't actually have a huge problem with this class, but more your insistence that top 25 classes are unrealistic - that's compete bulls**t and it's only realistic with the current staff. I did look at the top 25 this year and you know who I see? Programs like Maryland, Mississippi State, Baylor, and NC State. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to compete with those programs right now. Then you have programs like Oregon and Washington who we should be competing with when we're winning regularly. Hell, Penn State went through a much worse scandal than CU more recently but made solid HC hires and are now competing for conference titles, and have a top 5 recruiting class so this idea that it takes a generation to rebuild a program is nonsense.

I appreciate you making my point, again. NC state, a school loaded with Florida, Georgia and North Carolina recruits? shocking. We can’t beat out Penn State? You mean, the school that historically has one of the best recruiting grounds and has a history so deep they refuse to even blame their coaches for child rape because it could hurt their lifelong dreams of playing for Penn State? That is the stupidest example I’ve ever seen. We don’t have the rabid, crazy fan base Penn State does, not even close. They breathe college football. You named 4 states in the top 15 for recruits, they are keeping their recruits home.

What a hot take. We can’t out recruit a NC school in its home state, a Mississippi school in its home state, a Texas school in its home state and a Maryland school in its home state. Maryland has 9 kids from Maryland and 2 from Washington D.C area. You would like MM to convince the 3 highest kids in their class from Maryland to move to the plains? Good luck.

You just keep making my point and you’re so stubborn you can’t even realize it. Those schools are EAST COAST schools! We don’t recruit the east coast, it’s been discussed many times. Those kids don’t want to come here, they want corn bread and SEC football. California is the ONLY school west of Texas in the top 18 recruiting states. The majority of high ranked talent is on the east side of the US. Colorado is #27!

We are reduced to fighting Oklahoma, Texas and California for recruits. We have no proximity to any of their homes outside of a few away games, with none in Texas or Oklahoma, generally. So we’re a Midwest, yuppy town convincing kids to leave their families and move to the middle of the U.S.

You just don’t get it. Until we’re BETTER THAN Texas, USC, Washington, Oregon etc nobody is going to choose colorado over them. If I’m a 5 star recruit, what does colorado offer that my home schools don’t? Nothing.

We can get there but your assertion it’s so easy is (again) misguided and hilariously out of touch with reality.

You should be smart enough to recognize that you can look at next years schedule and count our prime time games and that should tell you everything you need to know about colorado football and how the public, media and advertisers see us. I can’t imagine why 5 stars aren’t lining up to play at 8PM mountain on P12N!! Who wants to be on at 2PM on a Sunday on ABC in the B1G or SEC? Nobody, obviously.

No one has ever said or implied recruiting is easy. I see that used as an excuse far too often.

We probably all agree the Buffs need to out work teams in recruiting, which is the crux of the argument. There are current coaches on the staff not pulling their weight. Why this is even a point of contention is beyond me. Just shrugging your shoulders and saying "just need time to build up recruiting" is no more a solid argument than people expecting Top 20 classes once we start winning consistently.

I appreciate you making my point, again. NC state, a school loaded with Florida, Georgia and North Carolina recruits? shocking. We can’t beat out Penn State? You mean, the school that historically has one of the best recruiting grounds and has a history so deep they refuse to even blame their coaches for child rape because it could hurt their lifelong dreams of playing for Penn State? That is the stupidest example I’ve ever seen. We don’t have the rabid, crazy fan base Penn State does, not even close. They breathe college football. You named 4 states in the top 15 for recruits, they are keeping their recruits home.

What a hot take. We can’t out recruit a NC school in its home state, a Mississippi school in its home state, a Texas school in its home state and a Maryland school in its home state. Maryland has 9 kids from Maryland and 2 from Washington D.C area. You would like MM to convince the 3 highest kids in their class from Maryland to move to the plains? Good luck.

You just keep making my point and you’re so stubborn you can’t even realize it. Those schools are EAST COAST schools! We don’t recruit the east coast, it’s been discussed many times. Those kids don’t want to come here, they want corn bread and SEC football. California is the ONLY school west of Texas in the top 18 recruiting states. The majority of high ranked talent is on the east side of the US. Colorado is #27!

We are reduced to fighting Oklahoma, Texas and California for recruits. We have no proximity to any of their homes outside of a few away games, with none in Texas or Oklahoma, generally. So we’re a Midwest, yuppy town convincing kids to leave their families and move to the middle of the U.S.

You just don’t get it. Until we’re BETTER THAN Texas, USC, Washington, Oregon etc nobody is going to choose colorado over them. If I’m a 5 star recruit, what does colorado offer that my home schools don’t? Nothing.

We can get there but your assertion it’s so easy is (again) misguided and hilariously out of touch with reality.

You should be smart enough to recognize that you can look at next years schedule and count our prime time games and that should tell you everything you need to know about colorado football and how the public, media and advertisers see us. I can’t imagine why 5 stars aren’t lining up to play at 8PM mountain on P12N!! Who wants to be on at 2PM on a Sunday on ABC in the B1G or SEC? Nobody, obviously.
TL;DR

You're convinced CU is some backwater place with no real hope of being a top 25 program anytime soon - that's fine I just don't agree. What you call "realistic" I call low expectations. That's fine too and there are several people here who share those lowered expectations - again I just don't agree, whatever.

No one has ever said or implied recruiting is easy. I see that used as an excuse far too often.

We probably all agree the Buffs need to out work teams in recruiting, which is the crux of the argument. There are current coaches on the staff not pulling their weight. Why this is even a point of contention is beyond me. Just shrugging your shoulders and saying "just need time to build up recruiting" is no more a solid argument than people expecting Top 20 classes once we start winning consistently.
Exactly this. CU cannot punch above its current weight (results on the field the past decade plus mediocre local talent) unless it has assistant coaches who are passionate about recruiting. Since MacIntyre has been here, we've had a minimum of 3/9 coaches who didn't do much in recruiting with Lindgren, Bernardi and Jeffcoat. Until this year it was 4/9 because before Eliot our DCs (Baer & Leavitt) didn't do much on the recruiting trail. That is not a recipe for successful recruiting at CU where the logo on your polo shirt isn't going to make the top players excited to see you at this stage of the program.

Sales (recruiting) is 80% effort and 20% personality. We’ve relied on a few coaches to do the heavy lifting in recruiting, which has made our roster uneven. We lack depth in important areas because some coaches put in very limited work selling.

It is no surprise that our staff members who best utilize social media are the best recruiters. Colorado can attract talent, but it requires a team of coaches who are willing to wade through teenage tweets and instagram posts.

-think our class will be top 35 when it is reranked in retrospect. People on this board think class rankings are way more precise than they could possibly be. It’s silly.
-very possible we could move up to top twenty in the next few years, but have to build up to that. We’ve gone from 70s to 30s. 20s are next.
-but we’ve got to win more. We can win with the talent we have. We did last year.
-can’t compare us to programs in the middle of recruiting grounds like Baylor, Maryland and Tenn. Some other schools cheat...we do not.

-think our class will be top 35 when it is reranked in retrospect. People on this board think class rankings are way more precise than they could possibly be. It’s silly.
-very possible we could move up to top twenty in the next few years, but have to build up to that. We’ve gone from 70s to 30s. 20s are next.
-but we’ve got to win more. We can win with the talent we have. We did last year.
-can’t compare us to programs in the middle of recruiting grounds like Baylor, Maryland and Tenn. Some other schools cheat...we do not.
I was sort of with you until not comparing us to Maryland - if we can't regularly out perform Maryland then there is something seriously wrong.

I was sort of with you until not comparing us to Maryland - if we can't regularly out perform Maryland then there is something seriously wrong.

You just don’t listen to common sense. Go do the research, Maryland is a top 15 spot for recruiting, they got kids to stay home this time.

Done arguing, merry Christmas!

You know, I don’t think it really matters. Our “ranking”, however it ends up, won’t make this class any different than it is. And it’s a really good class.
Agreed, but for those who love the rankings it should move a bit.

Personally, I think it's an average class for a competitive P5 program.

TL;DR

You're convinced CU is some backwater place with no real hope of being a top 25 program anytime soon - that's fine I just don't agree. What you call "realistic" I call low expectations. That's fine too and there are several people here who share those lowered expectations - again I just don't agree, whatever.
I love how low your threshold for TL,DR is.

Have your ever heard of the DC3? One of those kids is now in the NFL. Embree was able to get 4 stars.

Maryland on Rivals:
2018: 18
2017: 17
2016: 39
2015: 54
2014: 53
2013: 33
2012: 35
2011: 43
2010: 36
2009: 26

10 year average: 35.4
So, bullocks it is. The last 2 years look like anomalies. If you want to count just the last 4 years in the Big 10, the average is 32.

Maryland on Rivals:
2018: 18
2017: 17
2016: 39
2015: 54
2014: 53
2013: 33
2012: 35
2011: 43
2010: 36
2009: 26

10 year average: 35.4
So, bullocks it is. The last 2 years look like anomalies. If you want to count just the last 4 years in the Big 10, the average is 32.

No, the talent in Maryland is considered the #15 place in the U.S.

Back