What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assistants

When have we hired a coach that didn't fall under those limitations I listed? Very available (often meaning unemployed and those are quite often our best hires) being the key factor and there's not a whole lot available right now (i.e. timing). The coaching carousel came and went, assistants were let go and hired elsewhere, the pool is objectively significantly smaller in terms of guys looking for jobs. Of course the timing makes it massively more limiting, stealing guys away from other jobs has rarely been our thing and it's certainly more difficult now even if not impossible, we capitalize best on the chaos of the carousel to land guys like Kapilovic/Leavitt and now there is none. You really think MSU and CU's coaching searches don't go differently during a normal timeline? And some guys do have respect for things outside of the mighty dollar, we're not out here offering much 'career advancement' otherwise as far as I've seen and jumping ship in March is a lot different from December.
USC just hired two major assistants, guys that had jobs. To a program that many believe is very likely to have a head coach get fired this season.

Certainly there are assistants that see CU opportunities as an upgrade of wherever they currently are, even if lateral.

There is no reason whatsoever to suggest now is harder than other times. I believe it's less frantic and actually a great time to be looking.

USC just hired two major assistants, guys that had jobs. To a program that many believe is very likely to have a head coach get fired this season.

Certainly there are assistants that see CU opportunities as an upgrade of wherever they currently are, even if lateral.

There is no reason whatsoever to suggest now is harder than other times. I believe it's less frantic and actually a great time to be looking.
USC has a lot of money and a desirable place to live.

So far it sounds like KD has hired 2 assistants from outside.
A son of a former head coach
A grandson of a former head coach

If TC is coaching QBs, I'd like Dorrell himself heavily involved in play calling or doing that himself for at least a year.

If TC is coaching QBs, I'd like Dorrell himself heavily involved in play calling or doing that himself for at least a year.
Dorrell last called plays at Vanderbilt during a disaster year. Before that, it was like 20 years ago. No?

SoUrCeS??

Tap a lap dude. You seriously cant be making these posts with a straight face. I get you love the buffs blindly but like come on.

Dorrell last called plays at Vanderbilt during a disaster year. Before that, it was like 20 years ago. No?

I'd prefer somebody with a resume like Kurt Roper's (not suggesting him specifically, but using him as an example) in that room is my point. Give me a guy who has been an OC before.

"Believe" what you want but don't present it as if it's the only valid viewpoint. None of that even argues or addresses what I said where I suggest plenty of reasons that it is absolutely a harder time for CU to be hiring coaches, USC, with all their money and prestige, being able to hire coaches 2-3 weeks ago (one of them a known mercenary with LA ties and the other a huge upgrade in prestige and $) doesn't mean it isn't more difficult for CU to hire coaches in March or that it wasn't even a more difficult process for USC. No one said it was impossible. Being completely dismissive of arguments against yours will never make you more right at something no matter how long you try it as a tactic.

The idea that it's a great time to be looking for CU when one of its primary sources of hiring coaches, one that netted them their best assistants in recent years, is almost entirely dried up is going to need more support than a baseless claim about how those avenues being dried up and the carousel being settled is somehow a good thing - our best hires are rarely made by not capitalizing on the frantic aspects of the carousel. I'm sure there are "assistants that see CU opportunities as an upgrade of wherever they currently are, even if lateral" but there's nothing to support that pool is the same or better in this time-frame and frankly we've shown time and again that CU fans drastically overestimate who they can steal away from other schools, you're unlikely to even love the coaches who realistically fit that mold for CU - face it, you don't like these hires last names or connections to CU, but it's the same process CU always goes by and we're only seeing it hurt by timing. We'll still hire unemployed coaches, support staffers, and guys with significant connections to CU as usual but those are all things where the options look very different now than they would even a month or two ago. If we steal an elite recruiter from a conference foe or something near that level, I'll consider it a step in the right direction, but it's something his predecessors could not do.

If you assume that the pool of assistants to hire mostly will already have a job, rather than be unemployed, I don't see any reason why late Feb or early March are bad times.

These guys have agents and they are looking for opportunities, 24/7.

Sure, most job changes happen in Dec/Jan, but that timing actually sucks. It's just when all the firings happen, and thus the hiring.

We have a lot to attract guys with proven resumes.

If you assume that the pool of assistants to hire mostly will already have a job, rather than be unemployed, I don't see any reason why late Feb or early March are bad times.

Sure, most job changes happen in Dec/Jan, but that timing actually sucks. It's just when all the firings happen, and thus the hiring.

To reference our earlier discussion, I think it’s fair to question the quality of some of those USC hires, UVA DL coach notwithstanding.
I recall their TE coach might be less experienced like Embree.

Last edited:

Let's assume that you are right, in that an opportunity at CU is very attractive for a proven P5 coach at this or any time of year. Why then, are we not getting any of those guys? Are you suggesting that the triumvirate of RG/LC/KD will not consider proven P5 coaches if they do not have ties to CU?

I don't see that as the situation. I would guess that the AC search would be similar to the HC search. Proven guys are not seeing the job as more attractive than their current situation and so, RG/LC are seeking out people with ties to Boulder as a second-choice "better the devil you know" option.

Let's assume that you are right, in that an opportunity at CU is very attractive for a proven P5 coach at this or any time of year. Why then, are we not getting any of those guys? Are you suggesting that the triumvirate of RG/LC/KD will not consider proven P5 coaches if they do not have ties to CU?

I don't see that as the situation. I would guess that the AC search would be similar to the HC search. Proven guys are not seeing the job as more attractive than their current situation and so, RG/LC are seeking out people with ties to Boulder as a second-choice "better the devil you know" option.
Not only that, CU has not been a attractive place for coaches for like 10+ years.

Isn't it a bit optimistic to assume TC is coming here to be QB coach? I could understand if it was to be OC but going NFL to college for essentially the same job? Appears that the Browns' staff likes him a lot, he gets the honor of a lifetime to work with the great Baker Mayfield (ok, I'm being incredibly sarcastic there), and then he would leave a few weeks after being hired for a less than parallel move? Seems to me that could be a bit of a bridge burning type move with the NFL.

Isn't it a bit optimistic to assume TC is coming here to be QB coach? I could understand if it was to be OC but going NFL to college for essentially the same job? Appears that the Browns' staff likes him a lot, he gets the honor of a lifetime to work with the great Baker Mayfield (ok, I'm being incredibly sarcastic there), and then he would leave a few weeks after being hired for a less than parallel move? Seems to me that could be a bit of a bridge burning type move with the NFL.
Him and Cymone George are dating, so he might like the job for that. Also no one wants to live in Cleveland.

giphy.gif

I simply am saying that "the time of the year" is NOT the huge detriment some are making it to be. It's as though people are resigning themselves to keeping a few staff members and then hiring guys from directional schools. I look forward to KD making some nice hires.

Competitive with USC? How would you know?
CU is competitive in salary with the PAC12, B12, and ACC, except for a few schools. USC being one of them. I never claimed we should be hiring guys away from Oregon (their ace recruiter btw). It's simply an example I used to show that guys will change jobs in 2H of Feb or 1H of March. It happens. Guys leave for better offers. Guys leave Oregon for USC this time of year. Surely, guys might leave some of these other lesser situations for Boulder. It's possible. Open your mind to it.

I simply am saying that "the time of the year" is NOT the huge detriment some are making it to be. It's as though people are resigning themselves to keeping a few staff members and then hiring guys from directional schools. I look forward to KD making some nice hires.
It isn’t impossible, but it is very difficult to get really good coaches weeks before spring practice. It is more difficult to get people with significant recruiting chops after the move cycle has expired. It’s naive to suggest otherwise just because a few exceptions to the rule. There are over 1300 ACs in the FBS. How many are moving in March?

It isn’t impossible, but it is very difficult to get really good coaches weeks before spring practice. It is more difficult to get people with significant recruiting chops after the move cycle has expired. It’s naive to suggest otherwise just because a few exceptions to the rule. There are over 1300 ACs in the FBS. How many are moving in March?
Why is it? I hear it said. I see all jobs being filled.
Answer: all 1300 for the right opportunity?

No ac is leaving a good situation right now unless you double their salary. And even then it's questionable.

The only hires you're going to get this time of year are
A. Ones for whom it's a clear promotion and/or pay raise. Their head coaches are going to understand.
B. Ones who don't mind burning a bridge because they hate their current HC.
C. Ones whose HC are in a precarious situation next year anyway.

That's your pool.

You can find good coaches in that pool, but don't try and pretend it's not a much shallower pool than it is in Dec/Jan.

That's just foolish.

Because they’ve recruited their 2020 class of players and are busy getting ready to install various portions of their team’s concepts with returning players. Most spring practices are happening this month. There are movement periods for ACs typically after the season when the HC gets fired/quits and also after the first signing day. It is uncommon for coaches to move this late in the game without a significant financial or personal incentive driving the move.

No ac is leaving a good situation right now unless you double their salary. And even then it's questionable.

The only hires you're going to get this time of year are
A. Ones for whom it's a clear promotion and/or pay raise. Their head coaches are going to understand.
B. Ones who don't mind burning a bridge because they hate their current HC.
C. Ones whose HC are in a precarious situation next year anyway.

That's your pool.

You can find good coaches in that pool, but don't try and pretend it's not a much shallower pool than it is in Dec/Jan.

That's just foolish.

Guessing percentages of the 3

A. 95%
B. 4% (Why hire this?)
C. 1% (Seems like a sub-set of B)

Whatever it is. Have to take some chances on the hires. Might over pay or over reach. One of KDs job descriptions is to identify and develop talent, with both players and staff. He’s a CEO and has pull the best out of everyone.

Back