1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASU's Todd Graham to Texas?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

2. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

3. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

If he goes, then college coaching contracts have no meaning, maybe they don't already, but Patterson's contract supposedly has a bar to him hiring anybody at ASU...that was the price of him leaving ASU, supposedly. Who knows....

4. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

A reporter on today's news asked him if he's considering the Texas job, his comment: "I can't worry about things I can't control." So at least he's not even trying to play coy. :lol:

5. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Steve Patterson cannot make a hire of a current ASU employee for 5 years. He may not have that long to turn Texas athletics around, so they better hope he's got other plans. Graham would win and win quickly there, but unless he finds a Jamail-sized lawyer to find loopholes in that contract it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

6. leftybuff

Jamial will do the hire not Patterson, problem solved...

7. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I suspect that if UT waved a big enough check under ASsU's nose, they might be willing to reach an agreement on letting Graham go to UT...

8. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Didnt work for Saban but... Maybe UT will give ASU 1% of LHN !!! :rofl:

9. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I'd bet that contract is unenforceable by Arizona State Law, which is a right to work state.

How would ASU get Peterson to agree with that any way? Since when can't you break an employment contract to go work for a competitor? I don't see how they had leverage on the AD number one and how they would have anything enforceable if Graham wants to go there.

10. leftybuff

It can be enforced. Non-competes with an agreed upon injunctive clause...seen it before.

11. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

fair compensation to the injured party can usually resolve those.

12. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Which university has the financial backing for an extended legal battle? I think if uTerus wanted really wanted to do this, they could make it very difficult on sparky.

13. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

James Franklin is one of the non big names being thrown around

14. buffaholic

Why would the AD have signed a non-compete? What was the motivation or leverage ASU had? I am missing that I guess.

When you say "seen it before", are you talking Arizona (or simliiar state) where the "right to work" is staunchly defended? I had a situation there once upon a time. Lawsuits were threatened but State Law made it difficult on the other side.

I don't see how ASU could impose handcuffs on a departing AD. Professional courtesy perhaps, but not legally binding.

15. leftybuff

I have just seen them in exec departure packages and sale of business situations...just my .02.

16. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

I have no insight, other than following LSU for family reasons, but Les Miles makes sense here. Texas wants a big name, he's that. He wants some goddamn credit from the LSU faithful, going to Texas will make them feel bad. If he wins at Texas that will erase any of the "riding Saban's coattails" arguments. He does exhibit the same problems with managing an offense that Mack did though.

17. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Is there really a "perfect fit" for uTerus? Oddly enough, it might have been Macky B. Decent coach who left most of the hard work to the assistants, was decent closer on the recruiting trail, and most of all, a 'shake everybody's hand, smile for the camera, smooze and rub elbows' type personality.

18. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Look at Graham's track record and I have no doubt he's trying to find a way to get to Austin. There are people at Graham's last two jobs that will be telling Sparky 'I told you so.'

19. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

That might be just the kind of thing that gets Ballage to change his commitment and come to the Buffs... you know, like HCMM sort of hinted at?

20. leftybuff

If Graham leaves, he will be remembered as the ultimate carpetbagger. I kind of hope he does, that would be pretty entertaining. IMO, Graham, Malzahn, Briles or Morris would make UT a NC contender in short order. How can you not be in the running when there are 400 D1 recruits a year in your backyard?

21. buffaholic

They are very common in both of these, as they normally involve stock agreements.

AD's, not so much. They are just employees and I don't believe they are common or enforceable in such case in Calif, Colo or Arizona. Just my $.02.

22. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

What if Graham resigns (no longer works for ASU) and then Texas hires him?

23. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

I'd say he's already on a pretty short list.

2007–2010

2012–present
    Rice

Tulsa

Pittsburgh

Arizona State

24. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Introducing Texas's new coach, Rodd Graham.

Todd Graham.jpg

Uncle Ken, sweaty teets and dply like this.
  25. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

26. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

There's probably language in the contract to prevent such a thing. Whether it can be enforced or not is a different issue.

27. dply

I've only heard that Patterson's contract has any language like that in it from message boards.

It's hard for me to imagine that one person's contract could exclude someone else from being hired.

28. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I think I read it in an article as well.

29. dply

Remember when that used to mean something?

30. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Pete Roussel from Coaching Search published that as well yesterday. He has a track record of confirming his sources before he runs with info and will make note when a correction to the story needs to be made. That said, Texas was seen as a very clean program under Mack and now that the rest of the AD is dealing with talk of some other improprieties I think it would look scummy to try to backdoor hire mercenary Graham. He may be the best fit other than Briles but the hire would appear very crooked and I think as a whole that is a school that wants to distance its student athlete reputation from that of ASU.

There is no perfect candidate. The most high profile guys are already competing for national championships at high resource programs or loyal to their alma mater. The most realistic of the college head coaches IMO are Strong and Franklin. Franklin has his name attached to some questionable stuff but has the coaching and media charisma to make it work on the big stage. If he could assemble a legit staff with the budget he'd have to use then I think the early years would at least equal the last 3 of Mack with some more success against OU since Bob looks to be falling into a Mack hole with his quarterback recruiting.