1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon Ranks 128 College Coaches

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by bombay, Jun 11, 2015.

1. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Usually, I am chomping at the bit to buy a preseason mag. I have, in my office, Athlon's, Lindy's from every year 2001-forward (I used to have earlier ones, back to like '98, but I guess I lost them in a move, or they are in a box somewhere). I even have a Phil Steele and a few Sporting News preseason mags when I was jonesing for info and could not find Athlon's or Lindy's. I haven't even thought about getting one this year until I saw this post. It is hard to get that pumped up given the last ten years of total non-performance....

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Sounds like Steele's mag is predicting a lot of improvement for CU this year. Last in the South, but challenging for a bowl game and Sefo as a Top 20 QB in the nation.

With so much great info in his rag, I think it's probably worth getting since the CU section won't make you want to fix yourself a rat poison cocktail.

4. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Looks like a popularity contest. How can Kyle Flood be ranked 86th and Randy Edsell is number 56?

5. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

What Randy E did at UConn was pretty impressive.

6. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

How can Saban be ranked ahead of Meyer?

7. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

That is another point of contention on these lists - how much to rate historical performance versus recent performance? Rich Rod is a great example - great at WVU, bombed at Michigan and now finding success at UA. All I am saying is you cannot have 30 place differences between the two and no way is Flood number 86. I also don't believe in mixing P5 coaching with the non P5 ones. Just a different animal.

Anyway I just classify these sorts of things as entertainment value and not much else.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  8. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

I wonder if coaches like Mac, who take on loser programs, get negatively affected in these kind of ratings. Rich Rod shouldn't be that high considering the debacle in Ann Arbor.

9. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

List like this are inherently stupid and subjective. They're click-bait.

10. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I can't deal with PS. Microscopic text, reviews chock full of minutiae, references to players long since graduated. He has a ton of info, I just get tired of separating the wheat from the chaff. Nice to hear he predicts improvement, he is, despite my above objections, probably the most knowledgeable. I just want a schedule, roster, list of recruits, stats and a short blurb on the squad, I don't have time or inclination for much else.

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Maybe the problem is Michigan, not Rich Rod?