1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Badgers fires their OL Coach

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by ximianKernel, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ximianKernel

ximianKernel Member

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Wisconsin takes its football seriously enough.

3. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

At this point, I would be 100% on board with hiring him immediately...

4. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

Don't tell buffaloflyer. It's clearly Badgerfan's fault

5. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

fire marshall now!

6. Buffnik

I don't think we will. Mostly because CU is cheap and won't want to pay 2 coaches for 1 job.

Marshall also got one of the multi-year contracts, iirc, and Embree made him one of the highest paid guys on the staff. I assume it was a 2-year deal. Hopefully.

7. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

I'd suggest that we ship out the current CU team and coaches to Fargo North Dakota and adopt their thundering herd bison who whipped the crap out of CSU.

8. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Marshall has to go

9. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

And their fans. YOU!

Signed,

Buffaloflyer

10. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

:rofl:

11. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

This is a golden opportunity for anybody that can get him. I really wish we could get him, because Colorado actually puts out pretty good O-line talent every year, and I think he would immediately bring credibility.

Pft.... nevermind. I thought this guy actually coached previous Wisconsin O-line. Good riddance.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  12. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

Yes, that guy is at Pitt with most of the rest of Wisconsin's coaching staff from 2011, including Pitt's new head coach. Pitt is 0-2 with a home loss to Youngstown State. Somehow, just changing to a new coaching staff doesn't produce instant results. Imagine that.

13. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Good point although Chryst is in his 1st year and that Pitt situation with 4 head coaches (one fired in 2 weeks) in 1 1/2 years is really crazy.

14. Buffnik

It's a crap shoot. Sometimes you see instant results. Sometimes you don't. Sometimes patience pays off. Sometimes patience only digs you a deeper hole.

Regarding Pitt, Paul Chryst may suck as a HC. Dude is an amazing OC, though. We may be looking at a situation where him leaving Wisconsin for Pitt screwed up both programs.

15. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

It is true that some assistants/OC/DC aren't made out to be head coaches. Its always a risk when you hire a guy that's never done it before.

16. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

It's his first season, I'd like to wait and see how he does. Youngstown State isn't a bad FCS team and Pitt was a bad FBS team. Also, if we were to swap Marshall for whoever the guy I thought I was talking about, then I'd only take him as the O-line coach. I wouldn't make him OC or anything like that. Is he Pitt's OC right now? I couldn't imagine him leaving Wisconsin without a promotion.

I feel like this is a rehash, and I'm kind of tired of saying it, but I (and a lot of others) don't expect immediate results. What I want to see is clear improvement or just a glimmer or hope. Changing the staff isn't going to guarantee instant results. If we have a new staff this time next year we probably won't see much improvement, but it is better than keeping somebody that is clearly over his head. Let's see where Pitt is by this time next year. If they lose to the equivalent of CSU and Sacramento State then I'll say that they're over their heads and need to go back to being an OC and O-line coach just as I'm saying Embree needs to go back to being a TE coach.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  17. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Everything I said about not firing Marshall goes out the window immediately. Fire him now and hire this guy. I don't care if he isn't even the good OL coach. Get it done.

18. jcatcher

Well, it's all messed up and we are all wrong, I guess. His name is Bob Bostad and he went to Pitt as the new OC, but left weeks later to be the OL coach for the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Whatever. It's Monday. Great start to another week.

19. Buffnik

That's right. No wonder Chryst's offense is struggling so much. His OL Coach was a Denver Johnson type hire.

20. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

Oh wait. So the O-line coach for Wisconsin isn't at Pitt? Well then, maybe that's a reason for their horrible offense. Looking at Wisconsin this year, a good O-line coach seems to be super important to whatever system Chryst is trying to run.

21. jcatcher

I don't think Buff fans are anywhere close to realistic as to how bare the cupboard was when Hawkins was canned. I hate to bag on players more than anything, but if I read you a list of the names of the Buffs juniors and seniors and asked you to identify which played major college football and which were Wal-Mart employees, do you think you could score 50%? I don't.

22. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that we're too young and should expect this? Or are you saying that all of Hawk's guys are really really bad? Or some combination of both? I'm not sure which it is, but neither really seem like a good enough reason for our poor showing. Our cupboard was not so bare that we should be losing to CSU (with a first year coach) and Sacramento State. I'd like to hear the argument for that. Do you really think that Embree had less to work with than the coaches at those two programs? I don't.

23. jcatcher

The bolded part is what I think. The Buffs are the youngest team in D1 football. That is a fact. It is far too soon to be judging a football coach who inherited a bad team. I am a Wisconsin Alum (but live here and have a daughter at CU) and Barry Alvarez took four years to have a winning team, and CU's own Bill McCartney went 1-10 in his third year before posting a winning season with his own players for the first time.

24. Hi.O

Hi.O Member

I think that these days coaches aren't given an unconditional amount of time anymore. There's too much bad coverage on your team if you start having horrible years. Even if you really are a good coach that just needs time the bad press will lead to worse recruiting, which will make your job that much harder. Times have changed, I can't think of a coach since 2000 that had a really bad couple years to start then went on to have success at the same school. I just don't think that works anymore. You need to show some signs of life. You need to at least be what people expect your to be, then you'll buy yourself a little time and find out if you can build a program or not. If things go really wrong right away, there's almost no chance of recovery. At least not anymore.

25. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

My first instinct. At a minimum Marshall needs some help.

26. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

How did New Mexico State's line look when they steamrolled Sac State the week prior? Brad Bedell may have promise, unless working with Denver Johnson in the past poisoned him.

27. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Would we even give NMSU's OL coach a second thought if he hadn't played at CU? I'm not really enthusiastic about that criteria for hiring coaches at this point.... :huh:

28. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

1st Downs1818
    3rd down efficiency3-156-13
    4th down efficiency2-21-1
    Total Yards397468
    Passing308367
    Comp-Att23-3514-22
    Yards per pass8.816.7
    Rushing89101
    Rushing Attempts3140
    Yards per rush2.92.5
    Penalties9-587-70
    Turnovers30
    Fumbles lost20
    Interceptions thrown10
    Possession27:4432:16

NMSU is a passing team this (the WAC is all about 40-40 type scores). 16 yards average?! How many did Webb have? Both our QB and WRs aren't very good.

29. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

and i 110% agree with you! Seriously. We should scoop him up ASAP.