What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

Pointless conversation, this dude isn't gonna listen obviously. Rae Curruth Wtf ever man. Dude Idk if you grasp this or not, **** like this happens everywhere and no I don't mean Carruth. I think CU has paid for what went wrong during the scandal, still are really.

Exactly.

I think we agree that a 1 or 2 year turnaround was not realistic while doing things the right way. Maybe not even a 3-year. That would have required bending a lot of rules on admissions for freshmen and JUCOs, turning a blind eye to off-field character concerns, and probably some manipulation of academics to keep players eligible. Especially in the face of building things without having facilities that were on par with P5 competitors. McElwain laid out a plan like that and it was rejected.

So this was a 4 or 5 year process to become a good football program again. Saying "10 years" comes across to me as excuse-making for MacIntyre if he can't get it done in the reasonable timeline.

Its really hard to turn a school that has been down many years - so much headwind, as we all know. Major problem: By placing any standards on your recruits other than being great at football really limits your pool of great recruits. Major problem: Its hard to lead a bunch of athletes who seem themselves as something special, without instituting that jock-bro culture that makes the whole team think they are really special...even sometimes above the law special.

The history at Baylor was way worse than our lost decade. Briles brought in a culture that seems to have cut many corners - focused like a laser beam on winning football. It seems he found a very sympathetic admin at Baylor. The history of NCAA football is littered with these quick turnaround stories. SMU is possibly the biggest example. For all the shady quick turnarounds exposed, how many were not?

I'm not saying quick turnarounds are impossible to do right...but your competing against either established programs or other 'quick-starts' that are doing shady things. Mac's got to make progress, no doubt, but examples like this really make me appreciate his decency.

@8Jah you are not really disputing Nik's point about 4-5 years is a benchmark to reach mediocrity. No one expects conference championships right now.

@8Jah you are not really disputing Nik's point about 4-5 years is a benchmark to reach mediocrity. No one expects conference championships right now.

I don't want to fight Nik...I'm mostly on the same page. There has to be some accountability in the win column even though football is a zero sum game.

I'm just pointing out that a lot of the quick turnarounds we see out there (the ones that are not happening to us) are not what they seem. We can't judge ourselves by comparison.

Jooell Klatt....JoelKlatt.....Jooell Klatt....JoelKlatt

Given the subject matter, I'm surprised Joel is out infront of Rick Rielly on this.

Also this is a platform for Katie Hnida to get some media exposure.

Buckle up, Buff Fans. The tendency here is for folks to sort through CU's ashes.

The question is whether or not tangible lessons learned by CU are relevant in the context of Baylor's scandal, and do those lessons mask the stink and stigma of CU being a bottom feeder with its own sorted past?

@Colorado Track Fan - It's a shame you paint this whole board as hypocritically high and mighty with regards to Baylor's situation. Is my posting in this thread in any way oblivious to the point you keep trying to make? Does the house cleaning that CU went through cover the stain of the scandal, or are CU's ongoing efforts to comply with tile IX all moot since Barnett left because some people like you have agendas to never forget the bad and to never recognize efforts to learn from these mistakes, address problems, and grow?

Last edited by a moderator:
What does Rae Carruth at CU have to do with a quick turnaround of a football team? He was recruited several years after playing in back-to-back national title games. Also, he wasn't a troublemaker while at CU. What he did later has received nothing but condemnation from the folks on this board.

Now you're just trolling. Getting close to a ban if that's what your goal here is.

He doesn't seem to have much purpose here other than to stir the pot. I think we are fans of all CU sports here, but I somehow get the feeling "tracky" really isn't. There seems to be one program in particular that he has a more antagonistic view of. Wonder why that is?

Any time you knowingly cover up a crime in order to better your chances of performing well in athletics, the NCAA had an obligation to get involved, and penalize where necessary.

I understand that Pedo State gets complicated, because the issue at hand might be avoiding tarnishing of the image of the university more than actually winning football games, but here, it's pretty cut and dried, imo. The objective here was to keep football players on the field so that Bailer's chances of winning football games were improved.

The NCAA has an obligation to get involved.

"Outside the Lines obtained a police report which showed that an investigating officer had the case 'pulled from the computer system so that only persons who had a reason to inquire about the report would be able to access it,' and that the case was then kept in a locked office. Another case alleging sexual assault by a high-profile player was kept in 'open-case status' indefinitely, which per Texas law keeps it from public scrutiny."

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/27/baylor-waco-rape-football-apology

"Outside the Lines obtained a police report which showed that an investigating officer had the case 'pulled from the computer system so that only persons who had a reason to inquire about the report would be able to access it,' and that the case was then kept in a locked office. Another case alleging sexual assault by a high-profile player was kept in 'open-case status' indefinitely, which per Texas law keeps it from public scrutiny."

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/27/baylor-waco-rape-football-apology

Wow. That's really damning for the Waco PD. They had enough trouble already with the biker gang thing.

Wow. That's really damning for the Waco PD. They had enough trouble already with the biker gang thing.

When interacting with the Waco PD, the Baylor treatment is better than the Twin Peaks.

Do you people not see that when you have a history of this in the national media...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/02/19/colorado.football/

that you should probably stfu on this subject
Perhaps you should have read that article:

No charges have been filed as a result of any of the allegations.

While it was and IS disgraceful that CU students and other Boulder-area women were victims of sexual assault, there was a strong component of racial profiling in many of those allegations,

NONE OF WHICH RESULTED IN ANY CHARGES OR CONVICTIONS.

Baylor, as a football program and a university, actively worked to cover up multiple assaults of repeat offenders while they were eligible to play football in a Baylor uniform. Just because the events of the late 90s and early 00s involving the football team at CU took place in no way invalidates anyone's opinion on what Baylor did, the morality thereof, and appropriate punishments for the involved parties.

Maybe now you'll tell me that the 200 people who held a candlelight vigil for sexual
assault victims at Baylor "should STFU" because they were students at Baylor during these sexual assaults.

Perhaps you should have read that article:

While it was and IS disgraceful that CU students and other Boulder-area women were victims of sexual assault, there was a strong component of racial profiling in many of those allegations,

NONE OF WHICH RESULTED IN ANY CHARGES OR CONVICTIONS.

Baylor, as a football program and a university, actively worked to cover up multiple assaults of repeat offenders while they were eligible to play football in a Baylor uniform. Just because the events of the late 90s and early 00s involving the football team at CU took place in no way invalidates anyone's opinion on what Baylor did, the morality thereof, and appropriate punishments for the involved parties.

Maybe now you'll tell me that the 200 people who held a candlelight vigil for sexual
assault victims at Baylor "should STFU" because they were students at Baylor during these sexual assaults.
To be fair to CTF, I've never met anybody who participated in a candlelight vigil who wasn't at least a little self-righteous.

So @Duff Man and @Buffnik .... Can either of you explain why this situation doesn't warrant the NCAA dropping the hammer? I understand your view on why the NCAA should stay away from PSU (I don't necessarily agree with it, but see your point), but I think there are clear differences here, including the dreaded "lack of institutional control", involving student athletes. This is a serious question; not trying to start an argument.
The institution clearly had control of this situation.

Is it fair to sum up our uppity self-righteousness and subsequent angst as follows?

In the case of CU, we believe the school administration and community acted too drastically with too little evidence.

In the case of Baylor, we feel that the administration did too little in the face of far more compelling evidence.

This is where I am personally. I've hated baylor with a passion ever since the Buddy Jones email. SCHADENFREUDE mother****ers!

**** baylor.

This is where I am personally. I've hated baylor with a passion ever since the Buddy Jones email. SCHADENFREUDE mother****ers!

**** baylor.

Buddy Jones desperately scrambling to salvage ****bailer's program and reputation ... Ken Starr revealed to be the unprincipled hypocrite most of us always knew he was. Good times! (y)

Remember how QB Colt Brennan exposed himself to a female student in a dorm room and was sent packing to break records Hawaii?

This is just one small example of how CU is different than Baylor.

Remember how Barnett (HC), Hoffman (Pres), and Thorpe (AD) were all removed? Thus far, Baylor is 1 for 3.

Remember how the Boulder PD and Rick Reilly and the DA did not cover-up for Barnett? This is how CU is different from Baylor.

Remember how CU didn't keep accused rapists on the team and didn't drag its feet complying with title IX rules? This is how CU is different from Baylor.

This list can go on and on.

Anyone got a link to a busy ****bailer board? I'd like to further indulge my schadenfreude. :D

Back