What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

Not a bad read. Only main issue is the author seems a little flippant about the real effects of the death penalty being levied.

So one the guys Baylor fired sued Baylor.

These new revelations are found in Baylor's filed legal response - basically, Baylor's current administration is saying "this is what the coaches and athletic department were doing, you were part of it, and this is why we fired you."

Some thoughts:
1. Baylor is trying to thread the needle between "release enough to prove we were right to fire them" and "not enough to hurt us any more."
2. I would read this as a threat by Baylor towards Briles, et. al. "This is just a preview, do you really want us to divulge everything we have? See, isn't it better if we all keep our mouths shut?"
3. I don't know how the NCAA can not get involved. The school itself has now admitted in a legal document that their coaches and people in the AD's office worked to hide athletes' infractions from the school and police. They sought to pressure the DA's office, and to make deals with players' landlords.
4. The fact that the school has records of all these texts is a litigation lawyer's wet dream.
5. Now that everyone knows these records exist, the lawyers for the women suing the school know to ask for them during discovery.
6. Baylor's legal defense is starting to become clear: they are going to try and put any and all blame on the coaches and AD. "We fired them as soon as we realized what was going on, and well we didn't really want to have to tell everyone what terrible people they were, but then we were forced to because of these lawsuits, and well, we're kinda glad that we were forced to because now everyone knows how awful they are. They had us fooled too, we're victims as well."

So one the guys Baylor fired sued Baylor.

These new revelations are found in Baylor's filed legal response - basically, Baylor's current administration is saying "this is what the coaches and athletic department were doing, you were part of it, and this is why we fired you."

Some thoughts:
1. Baylor is trying to thread the needle between "release enough to prove we were right to fire them" and "not enough to hurt us any more."
2. I would read this as a threat by Baylor towards Briles, et. al. "This is just a preview, do you really want us to divulge everything we have? See, isn't it better if we all keep our mouths shut?"
3. I don't know how the NCAA can not get involved. The school itself has now admitted in a legal document that their coaches and people in the AD's office worked to hide athletes' infractions from the school and police. They sought to pressure the DA's office, and to make deals with players' landlords.
4. The fact that the school has records of all these texts is a litigation lawyer's wet dream.
5. Now that everyone knows these records exist, the lawyers for the women suing the school know to ask for them during discovery.
6. Baylor's legal defense is starting to become clear: they are going to try and put any and all blame on the coaches and AD. "We fired them as soon as we realized what was going on, and well we didn't really want to have to tell everyone what terrible people they were, but then we were forced to because of these lawsuits, and well, we're kinda glad that we were forced to because now everyone knows how awful they are. They had us fooled too, we're victims as well."

Skibum describes is perfectly. Really, it's just two parties playing PR brinksmanship with each other. Still no regard for truth, justice, or resolution by anyone. Just another day at ****Baylor.

Well how come we got busted for it but they aren't going to? Did something change? They have a hell of a lot more transgressions than CU was accused of.

Baylor not subject to freedom of information act. CU is.

Governor of Texas isn't going to call for a special investigator to look into BU because it's private. Gov of Colorado did call for a special investigator to look into CU's issues.

Baylor benefits from billionaire benefactors (McLane who is cashing in on WalMart based fortune) and legions of attorney alumni who play every legal angle to BU's benefit. CU leaders wilted under pressure. Boulder attorneys are among best in country prosecuting civil suits involving Title 9 sexual assault. (Multiple BU rape victims represented by Boulder attorney John Clune)

O'Reilly and sports illustrated made a lot of money telling the naive nation about a novel college sex scandal. Post Penn State and sex scandals by the dozens in a Post-Fulmer Cup era, sex scandal fatigue has set in. The BU story doesn't sell magazines and newspapers.

TV networks have billions invested in sports contracts these days and are reluctant to punish one of their moneymakers.

Waco PD and media protects their male athletes. Women are slut-shamed as part of bible belt culture.

Boulder PD and media less protective of male athletes. Boulder culture is very compatible with spirit and letter of Title 9 and Cleary Act.

Has the Big 12 weighed in on this at all, or are they just going to hide behind the NCAA and the legal system to avoid having to do anything proactive?

Last I heard, Big 12 requested Baylor disclose results of investigation. Baylor said Pepper Hamilton never published a paper of their findings. Never heard Big 12 did anything with info that was provided. Seem content with purge of AD, pres Starr and HCAB and BU's promise to do better, while waiting for criminal justice system ruling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find it documented anywhere but a few posters on the Baylor board said criminal defense attorney Jonathan Sibley was on Briles cell phone speed dial. He represented several Baylor players.

I'd love to read that article ... but I refuse to give the WaPo my email address ... and opening it up in a private widow didn't help. Any suggestions?

i read it. not so much about Baylor but female hosting groups on college campuses. i didn't have to give any personal info.

I can't find it documented anywhere but a few posters on the Baylor board said criminal defense attorney Jonathan Sibley was on Briles cell phone speed dial. He represented several Baylor players.
Read the text messages, Sibley's name comes up multiple times

Rhule makes a statement - covers woman's mouth.

c0d985332f4ed0b1805530785644f970.jpg

I'd love to read that article ... but I refuse to give the WaPo my email address ... and opening it up in a private widow didn't help. Any suggestions?
Subscribe to the WaPo.
Crate a junkmail account e.g. "L_Buff_junkmail [at] gmail.com"

I use a similar one for all registrations. I clean it out once a month

There needs to be an independent body that penalizes schools for this stuff. NCAA makes way too much $$$ off football to do the right thing.

Governor of Texas isn't going to call for a special investigator to look into BU because it's private. Gov of Colorado did call for a special investigator to look into CU's issues.

Baylor benefits from billionaire benefactors (McLane who is cashing in on WalMart based fortune) and legions of attorney alumni who play every legal angle to BU's benefit. CU leaders wilted under pressure. Boulder attorneys are among best in country prosecuting civil suits involving Title 9 sexual assault. (Multiple BU rape victims represented by Boulder attorney John Clune)

O'Reilly and sports illustrated made a lot of money telling the naive nation about a novel college sex scandal. Post Penn State and sex scandals by the dozens in a Post-Fulmer Cup era, sex scandal fatigue has set in. The BU story doesn't sell magazines and newspapers.

TV networks have billions invested in sports contracts these days and are reluctant to punish one of their moneymakers.

Waco PD and media protects their male athletes. Women are slut-shamed as part of bible belt culture.

Boulder PD and media don't protect male athletes. Boulder culture is very compatible with spirit and letter of Title 9 and Cleary Act.

Last I heard, Big 12 requested Baylor disclose results of investigation. Baylor said Pepper Hamilton never published a paper of their findings. Never heard Big 12 did anything with info that was provided. Seem content with purge of AD, pres Starr and HCAB and BU's promise to do better, while waiting for criminal justice system ruling.

This all is why the State of Texas isn't going to do anything and certainly the local authorities aren't going to do anything.

This has to come from the Federal level. Initiated by the Department of Education and quickly moving to the Department of Justice. The investigation should quickly move into felonies committed against women covered up by the school. Civil rights violations.

Once the Feds have done their investigation and taken their action the evidence developed would then be very hard to ignore for the Texas legal system.

Will it happen? I'm hoping but I'm not betting my kids next meal on it.

Watching the takedown on ESPN after yesterday's document release. Looks like the focus is on Briles, instead of the institution.

EDIT: And right after I say that, one guy starts to call out Bailer instead of just Briles.

Watching the takedown on ESPN after yesterday's document release. Looks like the focus is on Briles, instead of the institution.

EDIT: And right after I say that, one guy starts to call out Bailer instead of just Briles.
Should be on ****ing both, they enabled it.

Boulder PD and media less protective of male athletes. Boulder culture is very compatible with spirit and letter of Title 9 and Cleary Act.

You forgot that Owens did everything for show and a GOP governor going after "liberal" CU was right down his alley.

I don't know what TX's governor is like, but I'm sure going after ****bailer wouldn't play as well down there.

Back