1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BCS teams should only play other BCS teams?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by boydbuff, Sep 21, 2013.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

I know there is some talk about a breakaway division of just BCS conferences and there has been some consideration of the idea that they would only play each other.

Watching 2 of the games so far today (Ohio State vs FAMU; Louisville vs FIU) I am starting to think that might not be a bad idea. I love the underdog (except when CU is playing as a favorite) and some of the FCS success in the first few weeks was fun, but these games suck.

2. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Some of these games are ugly but I doubt they would eliminate them. They big school coaches like them because they can pad their records and get what can be almost a live scrimmage. The Athletic Directors like them because they can sell tickets for full price without having to pay a big fee to the visiting team.

There is also a question of anti-trust. Excluding the FCS teams and the teams that were formerly FBS who are forced into FCS might create some political and legal issues.

3. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

I don't think they should eliminate the BCS vs non-BCS games, but should make it a requirement to have at least one BCS vs BCS game. Failure to schedule one game should make you have to win 7 instead of 6 games to get a Bowl game

4. boydbuff

+1 Good idea

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Eliminate

6. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you could actually make a schedule of ONLY BCS v BCS. Also, I love when Fresno St or Boise St beats Georgia or Oklahoma St or when BYU takes Texas to the woodshed.

7. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

A big part of my enjoyment in watching college football in the first month is seeing the small directional school triumph over a heavily favored opponent. Upsets and rooting for the underdog make it interesting and I'd hate to see it go away given how many (non-CU games) we've seen the past few years. Give up another Appalachian State/Michigan? No way!

8. MtnBuff

Can you imagine the meltdown if the nubs manage to lose to an FCS school today. And it isn't entirely impossible.

9. CUAviator

Same. But are we talking eliminating "FCS" only, or ALL of non-BCS?

10. aik

True. Well, then we'd miss out on Marshall getting VT or Louisiana Tech taking down Kansas. Both things I am enjoying the prospect of today.

11. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

No. FCS teams have won, I think, 8 games at BCS schools this season.

12. aik

North Texas playing Georgia close. See, plenty of teams I care nothing about except when the matchup is framed as an upset special. Can't get away from the TV because of it. The look on these kids' faces when they beat the big conference school is priceless.

13. CUAviator

EXACTLY! I love it!

14. huskermark

huskermark Well-Known Member

It would rate right up there to a lose to the Buffs.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  15. boydbuff

Watching Kiffin's team in a tie with Utah State has changed my mind. This is fun:)

16. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'd be much happier and see even more upsets watching games like a rebuilding Illinois take on Washington as the mediocre games on the schedule every week.

17. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

I like the suggestion above of requiring at least one BCS opponent in the non-conference. Keep the 1 FCS opponent, it helps those schools' budgets (which, lets not forget, allows for lots of kids to participate in college athletics), and the occasional upset is great. But there should at least be one game against a legit team.

18. MtnBuff

Beyond this each team should be required to play one FBS level road game a year. Some of these teams are playing 8 home games and not going on the road until the second or third week of conference play. Also to prevent cheating on this no "neutral site" games that are really home games. Games like Georgia playing a school from out of state in Atlanta and calling it a road game or neutral site.

19. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Like skibum says, eliminating those games entirely would play hell with the budgets of smaller schools.

OTOH, requiring BCS teams to play only other BCS teams would be the death of the CU/CSU series, so it's an idea that should be seriously considered...

20. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

If the requirement were that at least one out of conference had to be a BCS team, they would have to travel for those games at least once every two or three years. A couple things would happen: the lesser teams would be less willing to accept one and done payoff games, because they know the other schools have to schedule something as there's not enough lowa States & Indianas to go around, and neutral site games would definitely proliferate.