What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Belotti resigns

Location? Eugene is too far to drive to and a pricey flight. A flight to portland and the long drive to Eugene is a push with the longer flight to denver and short drive to Boulder. Costs aren't much different either. Nike cash makes the rain stop.

I routinely made the drive from my home just south of Eugene to Santa Cruz. Also, the Pac 10 TV market is very much a part of the proximity package.

I didn't realize that. So, Belotti told recruits that he wasn't going to be their head coach? Sure.

Let's see, the suggestion that Belotti would step down before next season has been in the local papers since before the Duck's bowl game. So, unless OU recruits are incapable of reading, they all knew he wouldn't be their coach for the next four years. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't up front with them about that.

But heck, if you want to believe that CU only lost this recruiting battle because Belotti lied to the recruits, please feel free.

Oh, you mean cuz back then it didn't rain every f'n day? I just got back from that god-forsaken wet-hole, my daughter was lured there by her husband...

She goes to PSU - they have an all-vegan cafe - I think that says it all...
I haven't lived there since I was 3. Don't think I could take the rain although Alaska pretty much has sucked the last 18 months for a variation of the same reason. It's either raining or dark and friggin' cold. The fishing makes up for it though. I'd take Denver any day.

Belotti was free to announce this week when #1 recruit RB from Kansas informed the Ducks he was not choosing them.... That was the last hurdle. No other recruits to lead on, so it was time to come out of the closet and make public what was decided 6 months ago.

BB - this isn't bitterness. This is just calling a spade a spade. That was such BS that he would be "transitioning at some time in the future". Everyone knew it was coming right after the last 2009 recruit was cemented. I hate fakes and frauds. I respected Belotti until I heard this story baking 6 months ago and called it a fraud, which is what it is.

Belotti was free to announce this week when #1 recruit RB from Kansas informed the Ducks he was not choosing them.... That was the last hurdle. No other recruits to lead on, so it was time to come out of the closet and make public what was decided 6 months ago.

BB - this isn't bitterness. This is just calling a spade a spade. That was such BS that he would be "transitioning at some time in the future". Everyone knew it was coming right after the last 2009 recruit was cemented. I hate fakes and frauds. I respected Belotti until I heard this story baking 6 months ago and called it a fraud, which is what it is.

So it has been hinted at for months and everyone (as NW Buff has indicated) knew it was coming sooner rather than later, but somehow because he did it right now he is a fraud? Please.

They have been reworking the staff to Kelly's liking. Kelly was given a lot of face time with recruits. They knew he would be taking over soon, you just seem to be all bent out of shape that it happened now instead of a year from now. Sounds bitter.

Here is my bet and I have no insider information on this. If anyone knows the rules better than me, let me know. As long as Belotti is the head coach he can contact recruits following NCAA rules. As soon as he steps down and becomes the AD, these rules change completely. I am sure the rules about other representatives from the university contacting recruits are much different than they are for head coaches.

So, you are probably right. He stayed on until the shot at the last player available was finished. This makes perfect sense since it allowed him to talk to the recruit under NCAA rules. It does not, however, mean that he or the university lied to players about his status next year or the year after.

Like I said, there has been no question up here that he would step down before next year. There is no way that recruits were not aware of this. The fact that I have not seen any rumors of unhappiness from their recruits suggests that this was not news to them. Don't you think somebody would have screamed if Belotti lied to a recruit about his status next year? Let's be a little realistic about this.

Let's see, the suggestion that Belotti would step down before next season has been in the local papers since before the Duck's bowl game. So, unless OU recruits are incapable of reading, they all knew he wouldn't be their coach for the next four years. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't up front with them about that.

But heck, if you want to believe that CU only lost this recruiting battle because Belotti lied to the recruits, please feel free.

Living in OR, I can confirm that the SUGGESTION was there that Belotti would step down sooner rather than later has been all over the local media since he announced that Chip Kelly was the HCIW. HOWEVER, it's ridiculous to say that given UofO and Belotti repeatedly stated that it was going to be "sometime in the future" and were generally led to believe that meant at least another year that any recruits had any reason to speculate that the HC would be different before they set foot on campus.

I refuse to speculate, however, whether or not this played into Diante's decision. It's time to move on. We lost this recruiting battle; let's focus on kids who ARE buffs.

Last edited:
I refuse to speculate, however, whether or not this played into Diante's decision. It's time to move on. We lost this recruiting battle; let's focus on kids who ARE buffs.

I think most of us know that this had nothing to do with Diante's decision. There were other factors involved.

So it has been hinted at for months and everyone (as NW Buff has indicated) knew it was coming sooner rather than later, but somehow because he did it right now he is a fraud? Please.

Hinted at by who? The staff at Oregon never hinted at this.

He didn't "do it right now", he did it 6 months ago and withheld the information until it was more timely.

The coaching changes they made were a dead give-away. They needed to make those when they did, but could with-hold the Belotti news until now.

This isn't a Diante issue - b/c he's gone. It's CU vs. Oregon in nearly every recruiting battle. It's credability, honesty and integrity against Shucksterism. I'm merely pointing out the obvious. Oregon

Here is my bet and I have no insider information on this. If anyone knows the rules better than me, let me know. As long as Belotti is the head coach he can contact recruits following NCAA rules. As soon as he steps down and becomes the AD, these rules change completely. I am sure the rules about other representatives from the university contacting recruits are much different than they are for head coaches.

So, you are probably right. He stayed on until the shot at the last player available was finished. This makes perfect sense since it allowed him to talk to the recruit under NCAA rules. It does not, however, mean that he or the university lied to players about his status next year or the year after.

That theory holds no water. All Belotti had to do was be honest and announce that he would be the A/D several months ago but make the job effective last week, if he needed to continue the recruiting process, there were ways to do it. He didn't need to keep it a "secret" until last week...

Plus, Tom Osborne was able to recruit last year as NU's A/D as he was "certified" and had passed the recruiting rules tests. I'm sure Belotti could have done the same.

It is well-documented that much of Duck-nation was a bit surprised, so I'm not buying that excuse either. This was more sudden than Duck fans expected in general. I have been telling my little Ducky friends it was a done deal for months and they've been argueing with me that I was wrong.

The FACT is that IF Belotti would have announced it was effective immediately, back BEFORE LOI day, their class would have had defections. By keeping the effective data nebulous, they kept the class together.

That is the bottom line. No one else announces a coach-in-waiting for 3 months! It was all about timing in the recruiting picture. They bought some time and announced this after the ink was dry on the LOI's.

I am thus calling them out on their honesty and integrity in this matter. We will see more of these guys on the recruiting trail year after year and this matter stinks. I can't believe any Buff fan would defend it.....

This isn't a Diante issue - b/c he's gone. It's CU vs. Oregon in nearly every recruiting battle. It's credability, honesty and integrity against Shucksterism. I'm merely pointing out the obvious. Oregon

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

This is big boy football. You seem to think this never came up in conversations with recruits? Riiiight.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

This is big boy football. You seem to think this never came up in conversations with recruits? Riiiight.

I'm bitter that we didn't get him but to think the recruits didn't know this is absurd. They knew and for whatever reasons he chose oregon. I thought for a tough decision the kid was pretty honest and genuine.

We have a good wr class, especially if simmons qualifies, i'd rather focus on them.

Of course it came up! It came up and they gave the "some point in the future" answer.:bs: Recruiting is pretty big in "big boy football" - big enough to lie it seems.

Let's review the events:

12/2/08: The Oregonian reports:
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2008/12/bellotti_to_ad_kelly_to_head_c.html

The "transition" was very much "in the future" but the truth was that in December, this deal was done. Everyone at Oregon will deny it and it will never be known what really happened. A closed circle that included two coaches, an AD and the President know what really went down.

I have not heard from ANY reliable source that the "recruits knew this was coming". Facts don't support that, but rather support that the recruits were told exactly what was in the Oregonian. Make sure you catch the part about the departing AD being a major donor to the program. We've got a departing President, an Asst with a likely Head coaching offer, and an A/D who is really just a major donor....

Did the more astute readers sniff this out? Sure! Was it the "buzz" in Oregon that this would happen right away? Probably so. Did the average recruit know? They believe what the coaches tell them and the coaches stuck to this story (contrary to what NW Buff originally wrote).

Clearly, if Belotti announced in Dec'08 that he was done, the class would have been at much higher risk. That is called MOTIVE. In "big boy football", Recruiting is a pretty important motive.

I'm not willing to give them as much benefit-of-the-doubt as you guys. Oregon is our recruiting nemesis. We battle Nebraska once a year, but are battling the Ducks on the Recruiting Trail every week, and frankly, we've lost more than we've won.

Score one for Hawk on credibility (made up of trustworthiness and expertise)....

Of course it came up! It came up and they gave the "some point in the future" answer.:bs: Recruiting is pretty big in "big boy football" - big enough to lie it seems.

Let's review the events:

12/2/08: The Oregonian reports:
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2008/12/bellotti_to_ad_kelly_to_head_c.html

The "transition" was very much "in the future" but the truth was that in December, this deal was done. Everyone at Oregon will deny it and it will never be known what really happened. A closed circle that included two coaches, an AD and the President know what really went down.

I have not heard from ANY reliable source that the "recruits knew this was coming". Facts don't support that, but rather support that the recruits were told exactly what was in the Oregonian. Make sure you catch the part about the departing AD being a major donor to the program. We've got a departing President, an Asst with a likely Head coaching offer, and an A/D who is really just a major donor....

Did the more astute readers sniff this out? Sure! Was it the "buzz" in Oregon that this would happen right away? Probably so. Did the average recruit know? They believe what the coaches tell them and the coaches stuck to this story (contrary to what NW Buff originally wrote).

Clearly, if Belotti announced in Dec'08 that he was done, the class would have been at much higher risk. That is called MOTIVE. In "big boy football", Recruiting is a pretty important motive.

I'm not willing to give them as much benefit-of-the-doubt as you guys. Oregon is our recruiting nemesis. We battle Nebraska once a year, but are battling the Ducks on the Recruiting Trail every week, and frankly, we've lost more than we've won.

Score one for Hawk on credibility (made up of trustworthiness and expertise)....

We need a John Henderson type shmuck to make a big deal about this in an article come next January....what goes around comes around type crap

My take is: who cares? We need to get recruits cuz they wanna come to Colorado and play for our powerhouse program. Sure it sucks if players are misled, but there is no way you are ever going to stop that.

Back