1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben Howland's days numbered at UCLA?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Buffnik, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

There was a Scout article on Monday at BruinsReportOnline.com that actually called the shot and said Howland is gone:

"I had previously reported, as far back as December, that UCLA was leaning toward letting go Ben Howland," Pierson wrote. "Everything I've heard in the last week or so has re-emphasized it, to the point where I can say it's pretty well-accepted now that UCLA will have a new coach for next season."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mens-college-basketball/rumors/

Previous to that, Plashke wrote over the weekend that Howland is "on thin ice" in the LA Times.

He reported that he's hearing the $2.3 million buyout money is already in place, then goes through a discussion of whether firing Howland would be fair or unfair.

Dan Guerrero, the Bruins' athletic director, will be faced with a tough choice that perhaps has already been made. The real shame is that Howland's short-handed team won't be dressed for the kind of success that could make that decision tougher.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/16/sports/la-sp-plaschke-ucla-20130317

Sounds like the Bruins can't lose to Minnesota and they better advance beyond that.

2. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Not saying they would call but UCLA is a team we could lose Tad to.

3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

hope not!

5. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

Not really shocking, considering what happened there last year - I was actually kinda shocked he stayed. I think a loss to minn (which has been taken as fact by everyone at this point - sometimes me, but I'm never sure about tubby in the tourney) would probably be his end. I did see this today on espn, which made me a bit scared for the potential match up:

(*If you happen to run UCLA athletics, dump Howland and hire Smart. You'll be happiest.)
    Clearly, a joke, but I we turn the ball over too often when there's not someone on our throat/in our face a lot. VCU would be hell.

6. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want the UCLA job now. The fans and boosters expect championships, but don't show up to the games, don't travel 4 hours to vegas for the conference tournament, and they've been to two(?) final fours in the last decade? If that doesn't keep you your job, I don't know what will make them happy.

7. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

I think Howland did a pretty good job this year, all things considered. Regular season champs, and got to the championship game of the Pac-12 tournament. Also lost arguably their best player to a season ending injury at the end of the Pac-12 title game. To me, they're making a mistake if they let him go.

8. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Doesn't seem like the year they push him out despite the dissatisfaction, but maybe getting killed by Minnesota despite the injury situation would tip the scale.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  9. Gold

Gold Well-Known Member

That would be so moronic of them to fire Howland. After Smith and Lamb debacle and the roster/rotation was figured out, they were very tough to beat.

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

There are two ways to look at the roster defections and controversies with players. On the positive side, Howland seems to have guided them out the other end. On the negative side, they did happen under his watch with players he recruited.

11. duaneallman8

duaneallman8 Member

Guerrero has a history of leaning towards giving coaches an extra year or two, doesn't he?

I think they need to worry about Minnesota, athleticism won't scare the Gophers. I actually have Minnesota going a couple rounds in to the tourney this year

12. knuckledragg

knuckledragg New Member

What would make them happy? Its ucla, championships! Howland has slipped, he allows big egos on his teams and soft play. Ucla is the dream job. If ucla offers kids go its that simple

13. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

Tad wouldn't be a first or second choice for the blue blood program. They'll want a bigger name, mostly for ego purposes. If coaches start turning them down, however, I might start to get worried.