What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Best CU WR ever.

Best CU WR.

• PRich

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Pritchard

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • CJ

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Westbrook

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • Branch

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
Tough spot here because of who my gut says it is, but feel ****ty for giving a positive vote to him for anything. Good thing it says Other. Some Chris Benoit bull****.

Mike Pritchard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the answer. I loved watching this guy and he was dominant and versatile. Still remember the Pigskin Classic back in 1990. Bienemy was suspended and they Pritchard in as the running back for the game. We tied that game like 37-37 or something and he went for like 300 yards rushing. I was at that game and it sealed him as one of my favorite all time Buffs.

He wasn't the best but he was IMHO the most exciting WR to watch since I became a fan, so gotta go with Jeremy Bloom.

hard to compare across eras, but i have been told that no one could touch cliff branch. had he played in a modern offense, a lot of people i respect say he'd have owned every record in the book at CU.

going with guys i saw enough of to have my own opinion, i'd go with pritchard.

Branch is before my time but my dad tells me he was the best he's ever seen in a Buff uniform so Branch got my vote.

CJ had 4600 yards and 24 Tds in the NFL
MW had 4400 yards and 26 Tds in the NFL
Dj H had 1500 yards and 9 TDs in the NFL

I am not a big fan of these debates because of all the variables discussed here.

If you are to withhold character judgment and just focus on CU on the field performance and not NFL, my votes would fall this way:
+ Carruth
+ Westbrook
+ CJ
+ Richardson

Cliff Branch-

501 receptions for 8685 yards and 67 TDs in his NFL career

I saw Cliff Branch in his early 40's toast his own son, Brent, forr the first ever legitimate alumni touchdown in the Spring game in the spring of 89 or 90. 60 yard fade pattern. The smack talk was unbelievable.

My vote still goes with Mike Pritchard for what I saw week to week.

Cliff Branch and yes I have been around long enough to follow the careers of all of them.

Damn shame I've never seen Branch play. All I've seen of him was Raider clips. Ill stick with CJ but FLA made me think a bit with his comments on Pritchard. He saw the dude everyday.

There are two ways to look at that. You may not have gotten as many chances but because of a run first attack, the play action was pretty successful and left many receivers wide open with huge YPC averages.

can kind of see what you and Buffnik are saying. Since our title, the number of plays per game have increased throughout college football, and the number of CU pass attempts have doubled over this time.
CU attempts trend.gif

Our passing yardage has increased by ~25% over this time.
CU yardage trend.gif

so the early 90s guys were receiving yards in chunks...but they were still getting 25% less yards out of the option than our modern college Offenses (my apologies to Georgia Tech and AFA). Since CJ, Pritchard and MW went on to solid NFL careers I have to think the handicap for the option was at least 25%...not really counting that these guys got way fewer reps. Some of their large per catch yardage was probably due to their talent.

While plotting these numbers it made me sad to see that our offense has been in steady decline for 25 years.

I saw Branch play but was to young to make a fair comparison. I do remember him going against the very best athletes that Oklahoma and Nebraska could put on the field and making them look like they had no chance.

Pritch had the whole package, enough speed to go by people, quickness to make guys trip over themselves, and as mentioned earlier skills with the ball in his hands good enough to fill in at tailback and have a huge game.

With all that if I were starting a team from scratch my first pick would probably be Westbrook. He had sprinters speed and muscle to right through attempts to bump him at the LOS or to arm tackle him after he had the ball.

He ended up having an impressive career at CU despite playing on some teams that were run heavy and splitting receptions with CJ who was an impressive WR in his own right.

Branch was amazing, so was Westbrook. Pritchard and Carruth belong in the conversation... CJ and PRich were nice players, but clearly third string compared to the rest of the group. If forced I would go 1. Branch 2. Westbrook. That being said, my favorite WR of all time is definitely soupie (Jeff Campbell), I mean sure he looked like papa smurf with a helmet on, but dude could fly and was a human ping pong ball with an amazing attitude.

Branch was amazing, so was Westbrook. Pritchard and Carruth belong in the conversation... CJ and PRich were nice players, but clearly third string compared to the rest of the group. If forced I would go 1. Branch 2. Westbrook. That being said, my favorite WR of all time is definitely soupie (Jeff Campbell), I mean sure he looked like papa smurf with a helmet on, but dude could fly and was a human ping pong ball with an amazing attitude.
I don't really disagree but CJ, PRich could flat ball. Campbell could ball too. Didn't ask favorite, asked the best. I'd be cool with Branch.

Pritchard and not really that close - that dude could catch, run after the catch, fight for the ball in the air, and play tail back in a pinch while looking like that was his natural position.

Pritchard and not really that close - that dude could catch, run after the catch, fight for the ball in the air, and play tail back in a pinch while looking like that was his natural position.
I'm gonna watch a few clips of Pritchard, I watched him before but I was a kid. I've got time, she's asleep.

Cliff Branch is perhaps one of the greatest players in Buff history. Not only a great WR, but could change a game with his return ability. My vote went to Cliff

Cliff Branch is perhaps one of the greatest players in Buff history. Not only a great WR, but could change a game with his return ability. My vote went to Cliff

you may very well be correct, are there any surviving films on youtube or some other archive?

you may very well be correct, are there any surviving films on youtube or some other archive?

Can't find any CU highlights on him. My parents said that most of the crowd would stand up when he was back returning kicks because he was so electric and everyone knew he could take it to the house every time. All I could find was this bit when he played for Oakland.

[video=youtube;OhlgY0timTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlgY0timTA[/video]

Can't find any CU highlights on him. My parents said that most of the crowd would stand up when he was back returning kicks because he was so electric and everyone knew he could take it to the house every time. All I could find was this bit when he played for Oakland.

[video=youtube;OhlgY0timTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlgY0timTA[/video]

Branch not being in the HOF is one of the biggest omissions. Different era and his numbers don't compare with more modern WRs. Pretty much on par when comparing the same seasons with Lynn Swann, who is in the HOF. Plus, at the time he retired Branch was the NFL's all-time leader in playoff receptions and yards.

Doesn't make sense.

Branch not being in the HOF is one of the biggest omissions. Different era and his numbers don't compare with more modern WRs. Pretty much on par when comparing the same seasons with Lynn Swann, who is in the HOF. Plus, at the time he retired Branch was the NFL's all-time leader in playoff receptions and yards.

Doesn't make sense.
I didn't know any of that, messed up, he should be in. All I've seen of Branch is the old school Nfl Films footage.

Doesn't make sense.

I hate the Raiders and anything to do with the Raiders. I believe that they have multiple players in the HOF who are at least questionable considering some of the guys from the same era from other teams who aren't in.

That said you are absolutely correct. In Branches case his numbers for the era should put him in. More importantly his impact on the games should definitely put him in.

He flat out scared defenses. Corners would play 15 yards off and still turn and run immediately on the snap, even then defenses would put a safety 25-30 yards back to help. His presence on the field created huge gaps for other players to exploit.

He also was not simply a speed guy. Because of those drops the screen was always open, he had many plays where he took a 5 yard pass, made a move on one guy and ran through the arm of another on the way to a big gain.

You could even say that the eventual downfall of Al Davis came because he spend the following decades trying to replicate what he had with Branch but could never find a guy who had similar speed and was a real football player at the same time.

For those of you who weren't aware (SIAP), Branch set the CU and NCAA records in the 100M by running a 10.0 flat. Crazy fast. If his focus would have been there rather than football, he had the wheels to be an Olympian.

For those of you who weren't aware (SIAP), Branch set the CU and NCAA records in the 100M by running a 10.0 flat. Crazy fast. If his focus would have been there rather than football, he had the wheels to be an Olympian.
:wow:

hard to compare across eras, but i have been told that no one could touch cliff branch. had he played in a modern offense, a lot of people i respect say he'd have owned every record in the book at CU.

going with guys i saw enough of to have my own opinion, i'd go with pritchard.

Branch was iffy as a college WR; he didn't learn to catch the ball consistently until Al Davis started taping $100 bills to the ball and told Cilff he could keep them if he held on to the pass.

Gotta go with Westbrook. The only guy who could stop Westbrook was Eliot Uzelac!

Last edited:
I was at a game when I was 7 or 8 so my memory of this is sketchy but I think Cliff took 2 returns to the house (1KO-1PR) I do recall for sure the KO being just jaw dropping, he almost stepped out of the back of the end zone and was back into the field of play to the 14 to 16 yd line before he encountered any traffic.

Son of a bitch, that's flying. If he trained as an Olympian, he would've bettered that time too probably.

I had such hopes for Westbrook as a pro. I wasn't a college football fan as a kid, I didn't care that he was a Buff, I just thought he'd help bring my Skins out of the basement. Instead he physically assaulted and sucker punched my favorite player before flaming out and leaving a vast ocean of untapped potential.

Back