1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big-12/10 TV Details Starting to Emerge

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by SanDiegoBuff, Jun 15, 2010.

1. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

Per Chippy, to FWIW:

Additional info that hasn't been noticed in the tiered payouts yet:

With the big 3 guaranteed $20m though, if the contract comes in low the 'lesser 7' could end up right where they are now with $7m-$10m

Other tidbits:
    *Schools (at least the north depending on which rumor you listen to) have a 10 year commitment.

*Big 12 will keep it's name, apparently.

*Schools are 'encouraged' by the networks to schedule aggressive OOC.

*No CCG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. TheEvilBeak

TheEvilBeak Member

I will believe Chip when it is signed and done. There are a few years left on the current deal. I'm not sure the ratings from here forward will deliver the necessary #s to make this deal come to fruition. I think this is just a teaser to keep the others from skating while Texas tries to get their own deal arranged.

3. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

Love to see the reaction in Manhattan to that one...lol

4. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I know you're meanging chip brown here, but chippy on AllBuffs means one of the benevolent and beloved Junta, so please don't insult him like that.

5. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

The networks would take a bath with those numbers. No funkin' way those numbers are accurate.

6. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. What kind of rating will KU v. KSU or ISU or BU grab? Only 1 or 2 games will garner any interest and that's UT v. OU and UT v. Ass to M****. The rest of the games are of regional interests in regions that have more livestock than people.

7. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

My happiness listening to the Austin sports talking heads wallow in despair when Chippy and Adams were back on all happy basically giving Dodds and Powers rim-jobs on the air when I heard this number right before I switched the station...

Adams: "Yeah, Colorado you couldn't even buyout your coach for $3 million, how ya gonna pay that $35 million tag to leave the Big 12?!?"

$35 MILLION? Where the **** did he get that number from besides his ass? Did the rules suddenly change after the UT attempt at a lovefest/press conference?

8. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

They have to misdirect the attention. UT got a great deal in the short term, but succeeded in not quite killing the B12, and turning their mud puddle into one maybe, just maybe, a shade more respectable than the Big (L)east. Their long term prospects are grim, because they most likely just killed another conference. While UT is a powerhouse, dripping with money, they are starting to look like the rich kid at your HS, that everybody hangs with because of the cool car and toys, but secretly despises and talks **** about behind his back.

UT just shot themselves in the foot MNC wise, sold their fans down the river of desolate roadtrip wasteland, and guaranteed a slate of conference games that would put a meth head to sleep. But at least they can televise the UT bowling and softball teams.

9. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

CUs buyout will be in the neighborhood of $8.5m, Baghdad Chip, or whoever is reporting the $35 didn't read the bylaws. There is a report that says the buyout is 100% of 2 years of revenue.

10. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

What I heard from a Ut guy...
    Holy soul selling **** batman!
    Can you imagine what that means? Longhorns having pepsi on their jerseys like european soccer teams? Bevo wearing fruit of the looms? Wearing victory secret panties on it's horns?

In all seriousness, Texas, if it agrees to this, will be leading the timid ten and college athletics down a road of commercialization no one had even thought possible.

This is also the first thing I have heard of that comes close to making the money make sense.

11. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

So, lets see. When all of this talk of realignment began there was absolutely no discussion amongst the Big XII schools of a new television deal. All the way up until Sunday, there was nothing. Then, all of a sudden, sometime between last Friday and this Tuesday, a new television deal was worked out, the remaining schools notified, and an agreement was reached? I'm not buying that for one second. No mega bucks television deal happened that quickly.

12. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

That does make the money make more sense, except that the schools already control those third tier rights themselves. And in some cases they're already generating revenue from them. Which they would lose if those rights go to Fox. And in some cases they don't want to cash in on them (do you think UT is looking to rename Darrell K. Royal Stadium something like Taco Bell Field at Coke Zero Stadium?) but would lose that control. Not only does it mean that there might be less new cash in the deal than they might want to make people believe, but it might mean these schools are seriously selling their souls...

13. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Seriously, did I miss something here? Where are all of these numbers coming from? The Big 12 downsizes and loses the two most popular north teams and suddenly the TV deal is going to be better than the Pac 12's? I haven't really gotten too into this realignment stuff, but Chip Brown strikes me as an amazing person capable of the utmost bull****.

14. TheEvilBeak

TheEvilBeak Member

The numbers are made up to help Texas save face and fleece the remaining North schools and Baylor. Simple as that.

15. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Exactly correct.

The media contract runs through 2012. Beebe came to the table with nothing but non-binding assurances from tv executives and lobbyists that the new deal would be bigger.