What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Big 12 Farewell Tour: Texas Tech

That's my point. You think that the money and tv will be a lot better. I don't think that is true. You won't know until it all shakes out. We will see. P10 does not have big time support. The attendance and TV viewership is not that great. Do you think you are moving to the SEC? Why do you think p10 wanted to expand in the first place? Because they were doing so well?

The Pac 12 has a superior demographic, geographic, and financial footprint than the Big 12. That is an indisputable fact. To argue otherwise ignores reality. Put another way - there's more people and more money covering a larger area in the Pac 12 than there are in the Big 12. LA>Houston. SFO/Oakland>Dallas. Phoenix>San Antonio. Seattle>Austin. Denver>KC. Portland>OKC.

When you're talking about wondering if the money will be there, I think you need to be asking your own conference head the same question. Remember that Scott has done this stuff before. He knows the players. He knows how to negotiate television deals. Don Beebe? Yeah, not so much. He promised UT, OU, and A&M $20MM a year, and has had to backtrack. A&M is talking about taking the conference to court over broken promises. And you think that this is a conference we should have stayed in?

Insanity. Pure insanity.

Methinks the Horn doth protest too much.

You still haven't addressed the biggest problem with the Big 12 (and why it's insane to stay in it) - it's rapid and inevitable demise. Ask K-State how awesome the MWC is in about 5 years.

that is the only legit argument. I don't think the other reasons hold any water when you look at the facts.

Last edited:
Of course the demos are better in the p10, but they don't care about p10 football. Demos in SEC are piss poor but football is sacred down there, hence the money coming out of their ears.

Do you think people are going to lining up to see CU at WSU, UA, OSU and others? You guys are in fantasyland. It's a lateral move at best.

And Iowa State, Baylor, K St, Kansas are any better? I'd take trips to the West Coast over those any day

If you truly believe what you're saying here, you're nuts. Full on bat sh*t crazy. More money, better access to recruits, better TV deals, avoiding the stank of UT, better roadies, more exposure, a far and away better commissioner and conference office in general, the list goes on and on and on. Staying in the B12, especially given the opportunity to leave, would have been disastrous.

Oh, and did I mention that CU can now go to the Rose Bowl? Yeah, I can see why you would think the Big 12 would be soooooo much better. Insanity. Pure insanity.

Plus so much more participation from the CU alumni base in Socal. Man, coach Mac might leads Cu to it's first Rose Bowl game. How friggin' awesome would that be?

And Iowa State, Baylor, K St, Kansas are any better? I'd take trips to the West Coast over those any day

That's a different issue. No doubt p10 makes for better road trips for the relatively small number of people who travel to road games. That's small potatoes in the larger scheme.

That's a different issue. No doubt p10 makes for better road trips for the relatively small number of people who travel to road games. That's small potatoes in the larger scheme.

Did you not go to the Cal game? Or the ASU game? Like, really??

Plus so much more participation from the CU alumni base in Socal. Man, coach Mac might leads Cu to it's first Rose Bowl game. How friggin' awesome would that be?
I know your are halfway kidding, but this captures the living in fantasyland spirit right here. CU is down and people are emotional. P10 seen as magical solution to your woes. Reality will not be so kind. Money won't be what you thought it will be and recruiting will not be what you think it will be. You're in Same con as four teams from Tx but cannot recruit in TX now. Same deal with CA. All 10 current p10 along with the rest of the country target cal recruits. P10 alignment won't be what you think it will be.

Thanks for the mature comments. Props to you.

I've read your self-proclaimed mature comments. You base none of your arguments on facts, while others have posted the facts for you.

You have revealed your true allegiance. I stand by my post, no way you are a Buff fan.

I said it would be cool OLNY if the MWC were stronger given the proximity. It's a hypothetical. I thought I made that clear.

Whatever dude, you want CU playing in CSU's 30k stadium. And in wyomings. Go **** a duck. You are a wHorn.

I said it would be cool OLNY if the MWC were stronger given the proximity. It's a hypothetical. I thought I made that clear.
And it would be cool if we made $50MM a year as an independent - It's a hypothetical, and probably more realistic than the Mountain Worst being "financially stable".

Doubt we'll be seeing him around here for a while, but just in case...

:bump:

Horn,

I concede that the Pac originally wanted a larger package deal in which Texas would have been the crown jewel. The TV market and brand associated with that school's athletics across the board is no small prize.

However, in the grumblings from the Pac following the failed negotiations, I was left with the sense that there was no longer love for Texas. Would they still like to have the program in the Pac? Sure--money is, after all king. But based on leaked remarks which stated Texas changed the agreement at the 11th hour after knowing (and agreeing) for months in advance what the deal was, led me to believe that dealing with Texas was a bit like biting tin foil for the leadership of the Pac. Who know, though, maybe it was just sour grapes.

Let's move on to Colorado and the Pac. Ignore that the fans from the Pac schools have been thus far gracious in accepting us on the internet boards. It means nothing. Let's assume that you're right. Let's assume that the Pac wouldn't extend the offer again. Let's assume that expanding the Pac brand to two new media markets, and two desirable places to travel means nothing to the conference.

Does it matter? Does it matter that they wouldn't do it again? Not to the CU fan.

So why should the CU fan be excited about this?

For years, CU fans (based on an informal survey of the interwebz) have felt more in common--both culturally and academically--with our Pac brethren. "Boulder California" posters were common when I was a student at CU from 90 - 94. We feel like we belong in the Pac, and that actually matters.

Even in 94 when our regents nearly voted for a swap to the western conference, the fanbase was split. And that was back when there was a lot of Big 8 loyalty. That loyalty is long gone.

Our fans have travelled far better to games at UCLA, USC, Cal and ASU than we do in our own conference. I find that encouraging. You started one argument (if I can remember correctly) saying we wouldn't travel well in the Pac. When somebody contradicted you with historical evidence suggesting otherwise you retreated to the "well, it doesn't matter anyway" argument. If it doesn't matter, don't bring it up.

You mentioned that the Texas recruting wasn't working out for us. Nope...it never really has (except in spurts). Why continue to play in a state where we can't get a toe-hold? Our bread and butter has always been in California. Exposure should only strengthen that.

We'll see how the money shakes out. Based on the markets and my faith in Scott, I'm optimistic; you call it "group think" but this group has shown itself to be anything but consistent in its viewpoints. But I think some optimism is the the hallmark of any fanbase. But you're right, we won't know until the deal is done, where the money is concerned.

You talk about turning our backs on our tradition? Ummmmm, okay Texas? Then you suggest we belong in the MWC. I'm trying to keep up here.

Not only do I find a lot of encouraging reason to be in the Pac. I find a lot of reasons to leave the Big XII, as well.

My time on Shaggybevo has shown me that many (pretty much all of them on that site) Texas fans would like to leave the conference, and felt betrayed when they didn't. Ditto aTm. Mizzou wanted out, and fell flat. KSU, KU and TT are only staying out of fear of the non-BCS alternatives. Is fear really a good reason to stay? Some conference schools are willing to pay others, and others are willing to take their money? The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the on-field competition gets worse. Yup, sounds like a great place to stay around. Nobody wants to be in the Big XII anymore, as far as I can tell.

So yeah, the Pac seems better, and the Big XII seems worse. Do they really want us over there in the Pac? Who knows, and who cares. They extended an offer, and I'm certain (decent personal relationships with media sources in Eugene and So. Cal) that it had nothing to do with Baylor. You're woefully misinformed on that.

Does the Pac fix our problems? Well, it's not a magic fix, of course. As somebody pointed out already, our problems are about leadership, coaching facilities and money. But it could go some distance to energize our fanbase, gain visibility in fertile (and more viable) recruiting markets and could even potentially fatten our conference payout (to be determined).

Not a complete solution, and even if those things don't pan out. At least we're in the conference where we feel we belong, and at least we're not in the Big Whatever it's called now.

I have never, not once, ever heard anybody make the claim that moving to the Pac 12 was going to be some kind of magic bullet that would solve all of our on-field problems. I think it's fairly well universally accepted that our on-field problems can be traced directly to the head football coach, not our conference affiliation. So the move could not have had anything to do with competitive balance. It seems like the only folks who make this claim are people who got left behind in the Big 12. Jealousy? Probably. I really don't care. What's annoying to me is to hear people spout off a bunch of uninformed garbage and pawn it off as absolute truth.

"moving to the Pac isn't going to make you any better" Well, duh. Thanks for the update, Einstein.

Was Horn serious? I thought he was joking around. Honestly, nobody in his/her right mind actually believes this is a bad move for CU. I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks. This is a fantastic move.

That what I thought, I even said my bad lol.

I never knew Douglass county was in Bizzaro World.

bizarro_world_race.jpg

And it would be cool if we made $50MM a year as an independent - It's a hypothetical, and probably more realistic than the Mountain Worst being "financially stable".

That is probably true. I was just noting that it would be fun if wyo, csu, cu, afa all had kick ***** programs, all right along thefront range. Don't make too much of that comment. It would be cool if I played for the Broncos too.

Back