1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big 12 South set for exciting title chase

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Pale Ale, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Pale Ale

Pale Ale Well-Known Member

I didn't see this posted anywhere else yet.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=975242

I believe Dan feels the pressure. He has never been in this situation before. He's always had success everywhere he has coached. We'll see what he is really made of starting in Sept.

Seriously? Does this game even count as a W? I believe teams should be penalized for scheduling this kind of crap game. I'm sick of seeing it and it seems like the Big 12 teams are pros at putting together these types of pathetic match ups.

2. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Northern Colorado @ Kansas is a joke too

3. Skidmark

Skidmark Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Nice to see Ryan Miller make first team B12 and Jimmy Smith make second team.

4. Pale Ale

The fusker's schedule should have them in first place in the Sun Belt Conference by the end of September, but hey at least they are FBS teams.

Games vs. FCS competition
    Northwestern State vs. Baylor
    North Dakota State vs. Iowa State
    Northern Colorado vs. Kansas
    Tennessee Tech vs. Kansas State
    Mizzou vs. Furman
    Idaho State vs. Oklahoma
    Grambling vs. OSU
    North Dakota vs. Tech

5. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

The SEC called. They want their way of scheduling BS OOC games back. The SEC takes the cake for cupcake OOC games. Florida playing Citadel last year? I know the SEC is the hardest conference in the nation, but seriously, Citadel?

6. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere the last time Florida left the state for an OOC game was in '82 I think and they played 'Cuse. Wow, I hope that this is the last year CU plays a team like Toledo (I understand it was because Miami bailed) but I take pride in the fact that CU has never turned away from playing tougher games.

7. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

I don't think Florida hasn't left the state because they turn down tougher games. don't they play The U and FSU every year? There go two of the OCC slots, then they ship in two lambs for the slaughter. Pretty standard stuff

8. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

While I agree with your sentiment, I fail to see how this is substantively different than CU scheduling Montana St. or any other team scheduling any other D1AA team not named App. State.

9. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i think Hawk is there by default, to some degree. i'm mos def a wait and see guy this year and with the schedule the way it is (slightly softer OOC, and very favorable home sched in conference) there's almost no way i see this team winning less than 6-7 games.

less than .500, i'd say next year is a white hot seat. i don't see Hawk gone unless it's a 2 win season.

every other coach in the conference is safe no question (Brown, Gundy, Stoops, leach, Pinkie, Mangino, Darth) or too new (ISU, Saint Bo, Briles)...except maybe Sherman.

10. BornRed

BornRed Member

So you actually think the CU boosters and fans will give Hawk a pass if he goes 500 this year? I sure don't!

11. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

I know I won't. I'll be skeptical with 7 wins.

12. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i think if that were the case, the experiment is over in my opinion....something about the guy, the staff, whatever....are in over their heads in what is becoming a real beast of a conference (with MU and KU of late and the Bugmunchers getting back to 7-9 win territory, and the Tech/OSU/maybe even Baylor emergence in the South).

However, my comment was really intended that i'm not sure CU can afford to fire the guy and i could see the "OK, Dan, this is the make/break year....you are coaching for your job" conversation with Bohn. because you know, Bohn seems to be on-board with the team getting it done in the classroom (did you guys know the team had the highest GPA ever last year?), and the "culture" around the program changes, etc. at least publically. i think there's still room for the "ultimatum" scenario for 2010...if we win 5 or 6.

i can't take another Hawkins off-season of "what-if's" if that were the case...

13. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

are we still paying barnett?

14. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

But teams do get penalized for scheduling these types of games if it comes down to a battle of two (or more) 1 or 2-loss teams to decide who should be playing in the MNC game. On the flip-side, you also get rewarded for playing and beating top-flight competition. :huh:

15. LilBunky

LilBunky Guest

No, but we're still paying FOR Barnett and the fact he stopped working after 2001(except to run off his mouth about Hneida!) after all, he got his just for showing up until 2006!

I'll never forgive GB leaving only six offensive linemen and no D-1 QBs! If you know football, you understand the real issue with this team for the past couple of years is lack of O-linemen with maturity, as well as size, strength and talent.

16. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

I have made it pretty clear on this board that I am not the biggest supporter of Hawkins but I think he is going to be here in 2010 regardless of his performance in 2009. I don't really think Bohn or the people who are calling the shots with regards to the leadership of the football program have ever indicated that they feel winning is top priority; an understandable sentiment to a certain extent.

For Hawkins to be gone after 2010, even, I think will require some pretty abysmal performances. I think mediocrity in the win column will be accepted for the foreseeable future. This is not a fanbase that puts its money where its mouth is when it comes to demanding success - nor does it really even appear to demand success at all - and I frankly do not think the university really cares about how good the team is or returning it to national prominence or even relevence.

I have high hopes for the team this year but I think we still have a lot of the same issues we have had the past three seasons. We are still young. There are still, as far as I am concerned, depth and experience questions on the OL. The DL is a complete and total mystery. QB play is a question mark heading into the season. We have promise at WR in some of the guys coming in this year but we are still thin at that position and have exactly one guy who is a proven commodity, who is not going to be expected to put up 1000+ yards or anything like that.

On the other hand, there is a ton of talent at RB, OL is certainly promising, and LB looks to be solid as usual. Secondary could be one of the strongest units on the team.

I am just not sold that the coaching staff is going to ever win a lot of games consistently, and I am not sold either that changes will be made if they become necessary in the short-term.

17. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I never thought Pat Bowlen would let go of Shanny either.

18. Pale Ale

Yes, I was actually going to post the SEC vs FCS teams this am but ran out of time before going to work.

SEC vs FCS Competition
    Arkansas vs Missouri State
    Auburn vs Furman
    Florida vs Charleston Southern
    Georgia vs Tennessee Tech
    Kentucky vs Eastern Kentucky
    Ole Miss vs Southeastern Louisiana
    Ole Miss vs Northern Arizona
    Miss State vs Jackson State
    Miss State vs Middle Tennessee
    Vanderbilt vs Western Carolina

19. CUJim

CUJim New Member

Hard to pull out of the mess GB left behind. I know he was dealt a tough hand but I agree it seemed like he stopped trying hard to recruit his last 2 years at CU. Having said that there is enough talent now to get 7 or 8 wins and a bowl game or Hawkins needs to go.

20. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is Hawkins team. If he cannot win 7-8 games with this schedule, it is his fault. We have a lot of Hawk fans on this board, but you take the cake. Apparently he has never done anything wrong since he has come to CU.

21. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

agreed. 10 wins and no.

22. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

agree