What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Big XII BCS Championship

While the rules don't require a conference championship it's pretty clear that the voters require one. Last year was the ultimate example when LSU jumped from 4 (leap frogging Mizzou and Georgia) after winning the SEC title game.

Your first scenario while possible is unlikely. The remaining schedule doesn't factor in my opinion since as someone else has already said that the BSBCS division claims that the regular season is the playoff. They lost their playoff game.

But remember that at this point we'd be comparing OU against other 1-loss teams, so these other teams will have also lost one of their "playoff" games. So as far as the number of losses, OU and these other teams would be on even ground.

But remember that at this point we'd be comparing OU against other 1-loss teams, so these other teams will have also lost one of their "playoff" games. So as far as the number of losses, OU and these other teams would be on even ground.

They only lose the playoff game if they don't win their conference. Since the BSBCS is supposed to be the culmination of the regular season playoff coming in second in the conference equates to losing that playoff.

Given the schedule that both OU and TX would have to navigate to remain undefeated, I think that OU would certainly best any other 1-loss team that could possibly contend.

Sure I have a rooting interest as an OU alum, but I would think all B12 fans, would want an all B12 national championship (unless it involves Knebraska of course). Red River Showdown part II, I like it.

They only lose the playoff game if they don't win their conference. Since the BSBCS is supposed to be the culmination of the regular season playoff coming in second in the conference equates to losing that playoff.

All that says is that with a team like Florida, for example, losing 1 conference game is still good enough for them to make it to their CCG. In other words, the competition around them just has more losses, so they may still make it thru to the CCG while someone like OU may not. Look at this way, on the flip side of things, being a 1-loss conference champ shouldn't automatically put you ahead of every other 1-loss team that didn't win their respective conference. If FSU wins the ACC and ends up with 1 loss, would they deserve to play in the NC game over OU. No way.

While the rules don't require a conference championship it's pretty clear that the voters require one. Last year was the ultimate example when LSU jumped from 4 (leap frogging Mizzou and Georgia) after winning the SEC title game.

But Mizzou lost to OU in the Big CG and Georgia was idle that same weekend, so LSU leapfrogging those 2 wouldn't even be that unusual during a regular season weekend. So I don't think it was the conference championship alone that helped them move up to #2.

All that says is that with a team like Florida, for example, losing 1 conference game is still good enough for them to make it to their CCG. In other words, the competition around them just has more losses, so they may still make it thru to the CCG while someone like OU may not. Look at this way, on the flip side of things, being a 1-loss conference champ shouldn't automatically put you ahead of every other 1-loss team that didn't win their respective conference. If FSU wins the ACC and ends up with 1 loss, would they deserve to play in the NC game over OU. No way.

Doesn't float for me. Win your conference or enjoy the tourist bowl.

Given the schedule that both OU and TX would have to navigate to remain undefeated, I think that OU would certainly best any other 1-loss team that could possibly contend.

Sure I have a rooting interest as an OU alum, but I would think all B12 fans, would want an all B12 national championship (unless it involves Knebraska of course). Red River Showdown part II, I like it.

I personally think that would be awesome. I've been thinking about that the past couple of days and that is why I brought it up. Besides it benefits all teams within the conference.

I personally think that would be awesome. I've been thinking about that the past couple of days and that is why I brought it up. Besides it benefits all teams within the conference.

I think it would be stupid. Just like it would be stupid if Alabama played Florida in the national championship game. The great thing about bowls - even national championship bowls - is that you get to see teams that normally would not face each other face off. UT and OU play every year. If OU wanted to go to the national championship game, they shouldn't have pissed away their chance when they lost to TX.

Lets just say there are no undefeated teams except Texas. So OU's only loss would be to a #1 Texas and no the opportunity for them to play in a conference championship game is not there. Still their only loss would be to the only undefeated/#1 team. Why not get the chance at the National championship. Or would they. I would give it to them.

But in this case OU has already lost to UT so doesn't that make UT the better team by default?

So you'd take a 1-loss Big East Champion Pitt or South Florida over a 1-loss OU? You'd be a moron if you did.

I think it would be stupid. Just like it would be stupid if Alabama played Florida in the national championship game. The great thing about bowls - even national championship bowls - is that you get to see teams that normally would not face each other face off. UT and OU play every year. If OU wanted to go to the national championship game, they shouldn't have pissed away their chance when they lost to TX.

I don't watch the NC game to see two teams that regulrly don't play each other, I watch to see the two best teams.

You can say that about the Chiefs beating the Broncos then :smile2:

Not the same. the NFL has a playoff system, college doesn't so the regular season in the NCAA is the playoff system.

Wasn't Bob Stoops who said there are no redo's or something to that effect after beating CU a few years back.

Not the same. the NFL has a playoff system, college doesn't so the regular season in the NCAA is the playoff system.

Wasn't Bob Stoops who said there are no redo's or something to that effect after beating CU a few years back.

Mulligans....

and yes, if we had beaten them, they wouldnt have played for the national title.

But in this case OU has already lost to UT so doesn't that make UT the better team by default?

Not necessarily. Besides if they were 1 and 2 they deserve to face off in the National Championship.

Since CU beat OU last year does that make CU the better team by default?
.....Nope.

Not necessarily. Besides if they were 1 and 2 they deserve to face off in the National Championship.

Since CU beat OU last year does that make CU the better team by default?
.....Nope.

If at the end of the season they would have been ranked CU #1 and OU #2 then yes it does. OU had it's chance and lost.

If at the end of the season they would have been ranked CU #1 and OU #2 then yes it does. OU had it's chance and lost.

I kind of see what you are saying. I just don't agree with it. Lets say an NFC and AFC team played each other during the season and both made it to the Super Bowl. They wouldn't say tough NFC team you allready had your chance to bead AFC team, and you blew it. No point in having the Super Bowl. This would be OU's chance to redeem themselves where it counts, and they'd deserve it based on their record, who they beat, and the caliber of the team they lost to.

I would take the highest ranked conference winner.

Way to not answer the question. I thought it was a pretty simple question, but you never know. I suppose all conferences are created equally then; there is no way the third best team in the SEC is better than the winner of the Big 10, huh? I just want to see the best two teams play at the end of the season and if that happens to be UT and OU so be it. I don't try to hide behind the false idea that the regular season is a playoff because by definition it's not and it never will be. The regular season is more like round-robin with 6 different divisions and then a committee chooses which teams from which divisions shall face off in an effort to try to create the best matchups.

I would take the highest ranked conference winner.

So only conference champions should be allowed to play in the NC game?

OK, consider this likely scenario: Bama drops their game to LSU, and UGA or Florida drops another game but beats LSU in the SEC title game; KU or Mizzou wins the Big 12 title game; Wake or VT win the ACC title game; the winner of the OSU-Penn State game loses another game.

So we have as conference champs:
ACC: Wake or VT, who will have at least 2 losses
Big East: USF with 1 loss
Big 10: Penn State with 1 loss or OSU with 2 losses
Pac-10: USC with 1 loss
Big 12: Misery or KU, who will have at least 2 losses

Meanwhile, OU, Bama, TT or OSU, and UT all end up with 1 loss, but none of these teams won their conference.

So who's in your NC game? USC I'll give you. But there's no way that USF or Penn State would be deserving over a 1-loss OU, Bama, or Texas team. Even if Ohio State wins out I wouldn't take them over a 1-loss OU or Bama team.

For OU to make the NC Texas needs to lose twice and OU needs to win out.

Do honestly think that is the only scenario in which OU makes the title game? Why do you guys object to an all Big XII title game if it truly pits the best two teams against one another. It doesn't matter now since there are plenty of games left to be played, but I could see how it is entirely possible for a OU-UT match up.

I kind of see what you are saying. I just don't agree with it. Lets say an NFC and AFC team played each other during the season and both made it to the Super Bowl. They wouldn't say tough NFC team you allready had your chance to bead AFC team, and you blew it. No point in having the Super Bowl. This would be OU's chance to redeem themselves where it counts, and they'd deserve it based on their record, who they beat, and the caliber of the team they lost to.

if we a had a playoff system, which I support, in the NCAA I would agree with this 100%. Unfortunately we don't so the regular season game should be treated as a playoff game.

However, that said if UT and OU are 1 and 2 in the BCS they will play each other because that is the system we now have in place. I personally wish they would get rid of the BCS crap and either go back to how it was with conference ties to each major bowl, or just get a playoff in place. This half way BCS system they have created is horrible in my opinion.

if we a had a playoff system, which I support, in the NCAA I would agree with this 100%. Unfortunately we don't so the regular season game should be treated as a playoff game.

However, that said if UT and OU are 1 and 2 in the BCS they will play each other because that is the system we now have in place. I personally wish they would get rid of the BCS crap and either go back to how it was with conference ties to each major bowl, or just get a playoff in place. This half way BCS system they have created is horrible in my opinion.

With the BCS being horrible or not, I guess my question was could this happen in they system they have now. I believe it could and I would like to see it.

With the BCS being horrible or not, I guess my question was could this happen in they system they have now. I believe it could and I would like to see it.

I agree it could happen.

I disagree that I would like to see it.

I would like to see another 1 loss team that UT has not already beaten given a chance to climb the mountain.

Interesting to think about though.

Way to not answer the question. I thought it was a pretty simple question, but you never know. I suppose all conferences are created equally then; there is no way the third best team in the SEC is better than the winner of the Big 10, huh? I just want to see the best two teams play at the end of the season and if that happens to be UT and OU so be it. I don't try to hide behind the false idea that the regular season is a playoff because by definition it's not and it never will be. The regular season is more like round-robin with 6 different divisions and then a committee chooses which teams from which divisions shall face off in an effort to try to create the best matchups.

I'm not hiding behind anything. I think the BCS is pure BS and actually pull for the match ups that will cause the earliest demise and creation of a playoff system. Without a playoff system I believe that if a team didn't win their conference then they shouldn't be eligible for the MNC game.

I'm not hiding behind anything. I think the BCS is pure BS and actually pull for the match ups that will cause the earliest demise and creation of a playoff system. Without a playoff system I believe that if a team didn't win their conference then they shouldn't be eligible for the MNC game.

I totally disagree with you. If a Big XII team's only loss was in their Conference Championship game, they probably lost to a very good team and they are only a one loss team. Heck, they could've been in a conference without a conference championship game and won that conference with a loss or two. To win the BigXII conference you have to win the Championship game regardless if you got there with 2 losses or none. It's not best conference record like some. So I think its unfair to say if that was their only loss or if they didn't even go to the conference championship because they lost during the regular season to an undefeated Texas in this case is unfair.
Sorry for the rambling. Hope you can understand what it is I'm trying to say.

Back