What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Biggest surprise players...good and bad.

Tupou played much better than game 1, he needs to raise it up more. Solis, where are ya man? Somebody needs to step up at lb besides Gillam, he's not 100%. KC has some game and looks so much better, get some picks. He looks like he's bulked up, his arms aren't little anymore. We have some players, Lindsay, love that guy he plays hard as ****. Lee is dangerous, that dude can scoot, get him the football.

Tupou played much better than game 1, he needs to raise it up more. Solis, where are ya man? Somebody needs to step up at lb besides Gillam, he's not 100%. KC has some game and looks so much better, get some picks. He looks like he's bulked up, his arms aren't little anymore. We have some players, Lindsay, love that guy he plays hard as ****. Lee is dangerous, that dude can scoot, get him the football.

Olugbode was thinking too much out there. He made a few key mistakes in the third quarter (or maybe fourth, I forget.)

Nembot actually surprised me this week. Other than one "hello" block, he looked pretty competent.

I felt pretty much the same. With Nembot I think his elite athletic talent means he will have a similar performance every week regardless of who is lined up across from him. He can hang with the best of them, but he'll also completely whiff a few times each game against everyone regardless of whether they're good or bad.

I think the defense's inability to force turnovers is the biggest disappointment.

Christian Powell is to me a big surprise....... He was touted as being so ready for this year. I was excited to see him make a splash like Chris Brown did. Against CSU and UMASS, I was disappointed.

His two big runs against ASU was the pleasant surprise! He seems to mostly get 1-2 yards a carry. But the last game showed some signs of him breaking out. He's big and could be a great back. It's time. Would love to see him make a statement against Hawaii......

Was anyone else also impressed with Gehrke last weekend? Just a few plays but he seemed ready to go and confident. Kudos to the coaching staff for developing him into a good QB in our system.

I'd love to see us dominate Hawaii and get the 2nd half with Gehrke in there. See what he can do.

i also wonder, is Jaleel Awini from Air Force going to shake up the QB battle for next year?

Was anyone else also impressed with Gehrke last weekend? Just a few plays but he seemed ready to go and confident. Kudos to the coaching staff for developing him into a good QB in our system.

I'd love to see us dominate Hawaii and get the 2nd half with Gehrke in there. See what he can do.

i also wonder, is Jaleel Awini from Air Force going to shake up the QB battle for next year?

Everyone does realize that gehrke was 4-8 for 35 yards and 1 run for 9yds right? Don't get the love. Also should have been 3-8 except the receiver made a ridiculous shoe string catch.

Spruce. I honestly thought he would be good (3 tds by now?) but I never thought he'd be this good.

I'm disappointed in our DTs. I knew our outside run defense would be horrid, but I hoped at least our interior would be strong :(

Lindsay has also been terrific as a blocker when he is in there. They guy knows his assignments and goes after the blocking about as well as any back we have had in a while. He is going to be a good one for the Buffs, not only runs hard but does the hard work on every play.

Olugbode was thinking too much out there. He made a few key mistakes in the third quarter (or maybe fourth, I forget.)

He is my biggest disappointment because I think he is out of position or plays himself out of plays more often than not.

Surprise: KO return yards. ASU got NONE. They only had 5 yards on punt return.
Bad news: the taste of crow served to those haters catered by Toby Neinas.

that was one of the best special teams efforts I've seen from CU in a very long time. CU's return yardage wasn't bad, either.

What crow is there to eat? There were no return yards because the kicks were all deep or out of the end zone. We pay a guy 6 figures to wait until the 3rd game for a coach to tell the kicker to kick it out of the back of the end zone.

What crow is there to eat? There were no return yards because the kicks were all deep or out of the end zone. We pay a guy 6 figures to wait until the 3rd game for a coach to tell the kicker to kick it out of the back of the end zone.

And I think we all know it will rear its head again on punts and kicks, especially kicks when we're not at altitude. Not ready to praise Neinas for having one game with decent ST play 15 games into his tenure here.

What were you expecting from Bobo?

The spring game showed big play potential. Everything so far has been less than 10 yards for him, appears to be more of a decoy. I guess the emergence of Shay has lessened the fanbases expectations for him but not for me. I think he could be a top 7 WR in the PAC.

I would like to see JG come in own the final series to kneel the ball after Sefo and Company stampede over the Hawaii.

The spring game showed big play potential. Everything so far has been less than 10 yards for him, appears to be more of a decoy. I guess the emergence of Shay has lessened the fanbases expectations for him but not for me. I think he could be a top 7 WR in the PAC.

Top 10 in the PAC is a lot to ask of a RS Frosh, I do not think he would crack the top 3 of most PAC WR Corps. If the coaches logic is using him as a decoy based on a spring game performance then our coaches should go. Guaranteed no coach at any level would game plan regarding a players offseason performance. But, I did expect him to surpass Tyler Mcculloch on the depth chart.

Last edited:
Nobody is saying bench Sefo, it's his job bottom line. He's our leader. My only thing was I like what Gehrke brought to the table should something happen. No doubt who the starter is.

bad - defensive turnovers, punt returns, linebackers (exception:Gillam)

good - Sefo, lindsay, Fields, Crawley, Thompson

Nobody is saying bench Sefo, it's his job bottom line. He's our leader. My only thing was I like what Gehrke brought to the table should something happen. No doubt who the starter is.
Agreed. If I have a beef with Sefo it's that I expected a bigger jump from him. I think his stats are about the same as last year, and those 2 INTs against ASU killed us. Hopefully this year he will make the jump, but he is still young.

He needs to go to someone who won't lose us a game (most times) to someone who can win some games, and I don't see him there yet.

Agreed. If I have a beef with Sefo it's that I expected a bigger jump from him. I think his stats are about the same as last year, and those 2 INTs against ASU killed us. Hopefully this year he will make the jump, but he is still young.

He needs to go to someone who won't lose us a game (most times) to someone who can win some games, and I don't see him there yet.

Still hasn't started a full season for the buffs. Give him some time. Having him as a starter this year and an upperclassmen next year could be what takes us out of this giant hole. Sefo may set single season records in passing yards and TD's as a true sophomore. Not bad.

Still hasn't started a full season for the buffs. Give him some time. Having him as a starter this year and an upperclassmen next year could be what takes us out of this giant hole. Sefo may set single season records in passing yards and TD's as a true sophomore. Not bad.
Good points and I agree. I had my expectations a little high. If they keep progressing, Sefo and these receivers next year could do some real damage!

^^This^^

If Sefo has to sit out a series or a quarter we aren't lost. At worst Gehrke is looking like a competent back-up who isn't going to lose the game for us.

That is something we didn't know we had coming into fall camp and for a team scrambling to get any wins it can could be very important.

Luke, I by no means think that anybody is saying bench Sefo. CU is in a phase right now where results matter and there is no time to see what we have in the cupboard. With the new resources and administrative support poured into the program with the investments made in the AD department, HCMM, and facilities I think CU needs to show the drive and conviction to excel as a Pac-12 school.

Good-Awuzie and Thompson on D. Lindsay and Fields in general. Powell is on the edge. I expected him to hardly get a carry but last week he showed something that he had frosh year. If he gets rolling, watch out.
Average after having Pac 12 hopes-Tupou, Gillam and Henderson
Bad-Solis and Adkins

I expected Fields to be very solid and he is for a frosh. Our DL has been bad to average at best. Our OL has been better.

Back