What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bill Stewart is an idiot

I agree with this statement! There are a lot of good coaches out there that arent necessarily great all the time. No one is great all the time and it is unfair to expect that. At the same time, it is easy to identify bad coaches when you see one.

So after the WVU bowl win last year, you were able to identify Stewart as a bad coach?

Sorry, but your statement only support exactly what I am saying. There are a lot of good coaches who have made poor time management decisions at the end of game. You can't tell crap about a coach after watching him one time. It's a new staff and every new staff goes through growing pains.

There were some very good coaching moves made by WVU in the game.

1) Their clock management at the end of the 1st half caught Hawk off guard. He put them in a position to potential make a special team play for a score. Had that happened would you be as critical of Hawk as you have been of him/
2) WVU made some very good half time adjustments on defense that kept us out of the end zone and created some key turnovers for them.
3) Their special teams play was head and shoulders better than us.
4) The went back to their strengths and exploited our LB to the outside with the speed of Devine and White quite effectively in the second half. They also used our tendencies to over pursue and lose assignment to generate some big runs.
5) When they did pass it was done with short efficient passes. White was 10 of 14 with not INT's in the pass game.
6) They had set up their lateral HB pass perfectly and that should have been 7 points. It was a great play call and had it been executed properly, it would have won them the game.

So to call this the "worst coached game you have EVER seen" is ludicrous. Outside of the poor clock management at the end of the game, I didn't see alot wrong with the WVU game plan. They coached to their talents. Was the clock management poor at the end of the game. YES. does it make Stewart a coach who should be fired 3 games into a season. HELL NO.

Get a video of the game and watch Bill Stewart's interview going into the locker room at halftime. I may not play college football but I understand leadership. Some people have it and some people don't and you cannot teach it. Bill Stewart may be a great guy. He may understand football and be very bright, but he did not come across as a leader to me and I would not want him coaching the Buffs.

I am going to start a website-billstewartcoachoftheyear.com. I got three votes already:lol:

The point has completely flown about a mile over your head hasn't it. Every post you make just supports exactly what I am saying.

So after watching this game.

it's either

"Worst coached game I have EVER seen"

or

"Bill Stewart for Coach of the Year!"

There is no middle ground with you. Is it that hard to admit that you are marginalizing a good win for CU over a good program in WVU. Or do you truly believe that the only reason CU won this game was because of poor clock management by WVU.

Did WVU coach the perfect game. No one said that. Did they make some mistakes. Yes.

EVERY GAME EVER PLAYED HAS GOOD AND BAD DECISION during the course of the game. This game was no different.

To call it the "Worst coached game I have EVER seen" and then to think that we were only able to win by 3 in OT against the team that had the "Worst coached game I have EVER seen" doesn't speak well for our coaching staff now does it.

The point has completely flown about a mile over your head hasn't it. Every post you make just supports exactly what I am saying.

So after watching this game.

it's either

"Worst coached game I have EVER seen"

or

"Bill Stewart for Coach of the Year!"

There is no middle ground with you. Is it that hard to admit that you are marginalizing a good win for CU over a good program in WVU. Or do you truly believe that the only reason CU won this game was because of poor clock management by WVU.

Did WVU coach the perfect game. No one said that. Did they make some mistakes. Yes.

EVERY GAME EVER PLAYED HAS GOOD AND BAD DECISION during the course of the game. This game was no different.

To call it the "Worst coached game I have EVER seen" and then to think that we were only able to win by 3 in OT against the team that had the "Worst coached game I have EVER seen" doesn't speak well for our coaching staff now does it.

Okay, Bill Stewart for 53rd Best Coach of the Year Award! Whatever you want to hear big guy!

Everyone is on Stewart's ass for not calling a time out sooner at the end of the game, but I don't see anyone giving him his props for making CU run a 4th down play at the end of the second half. Also, he was on the OC ass at the end of the game for clock management. Seems more like it was a new staff communication issue that a decision issue.

I have to disagree with you about the clock management issue. The head coach has the responsibility for the overall management of the football game. I'm sure Stewart has value as a football coach - but head coach is the leader and ultimate decision maker. He should have been totally in control of the last 60 seconds of a game, not the OC. Those are the kinds of decisions that win or lose close football games. If you cut him that slack, then who do you hold as responsible? I would be very interested to read Stewart's response to the clock management, especially since WVU only needed about 12 more yards to kick a field goal, and had 60 seconds to do it.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you about the clock management issue. The head coach has the responsibility for the overall management of the football game. I'm sure Stewart has value as a football coach - but head coach is the leader and ultimate decision maker. He should have been totally in control of the last 60 seconds of a game, not the OC. Those are the kinds of decisions that win or lose close football games. If you cut him that slack, then who do you hold as responsible?

You thinka lika me!

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you about the clock management issue. The head coach has the responsibility for the overall management of the football game. I'm sure Stewart has value as a football coach - but head coach is the leader and ultimate decision maker. He should have been totally in control of the last 60 seconds of a game, not the OC. Those are the kinds of decisions that win or lose close football games. If you cut him that slack, then who do you hold as responsible? I would be very interested to read Stewart's response to the clock management, especially since WVU only needed about 12 more yards to kick a field goal, and had 60 seconds to do it.

As head coach he is responsible for making sure the clock is managed properly. All I am saying is that, this is a new staff, and to me it looks like they all were not on the same page. It happens with new coaching staffs all the time. Think back to Hawks first year here and some of the poor clock management that happened. He needs to address it and get it fixed.

That does not make him the worst head coach in all of college football, or a poor hire. 3 games into a season is WAY to early to make those types of statements about a coaching staff. This doesn't mean I think he is a was a hire either. I am just saying the it is to soon to make any kind of grand statements about his success or failure as a head coach. If I recall this is his first head gig. Sometimes patience is required. Unfortunately most fans that I know seem to have forgotten that anymore. Give the guy a few years and see what happens.

Stewart said he had his reasons for not taking timeouts. The only problem is that his reasons include a lack of faith in his offense and defense (not getting the first would put the Buffs at midfield with 2 TOs left). To me, a head coach that doesn't believe in the team is only going to have problems. I know Hawk would have tried to go for the win.

I really have to wonder if he didn't like his chances better in OT. Let's face it, White is a great athlete but not a passer. CU dropped an easy pick six earlier in the 4th and Stewart might well have thought that he ran a risk of something similar happening if White had to rush the ball down the field. And with their running threats and the fact that CU hadn't scored since early in the first, and with WVU having the kicking edge on paper, I thought Stewart might have been playing it intentionally close to the vest, more than willing to take his chances with OT... :huh:

Or maybe he's just the worst coach ever. I'm really not sure... :smile2:

I really have to wonder if he didn't like his chances better in OT. Let's face it, White is a great athlete but not a passer. CU dropped an easy pick six earlier in the 4th and Stewart might well have thought that he ran a risk of something similar happening if White had to rush the ball down the field. And with their running threats and the fact that CU hadn't scored since early in the first, and with WVU having the kicking edge on paper, I thought Stewart might have been playing it intentionally close to the vest, more than willing to take his chances with OT... :huh:

Or maybe he's just the worst coach ever. I'm really not sure... :smile2:

Very good points.

hmmm.
Big East Standings
Conf All
West Virginia 2-0 5-2
Connecticut 2-1 6-2
Cincinnati 2-1 6-2
Pittsburgh 2-1 5-2
Rutgers 2-2 3-5
Louisville 1-1 5-2
South Florida (24) 1-3 6-3
Syracuse 0-3 1-6

Quite a feat considering their coach is an idot and should have been fired on the spot.

Back