What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn has a favorite in mind and it´s current College HC

If that didn't just make sense to anyone... Maybe this will help...

CU is this kid:
images

And big name coaches are Wendy Peffercorn:
images

That kid ended up marrying Wendy Peffercorn. Just sayin'.

I'm not in love with it but with the list of prospective coaches, I doubt I will be enamored unless it's a splash hire. Is Andersen's success a sign of his coaching prowess or in direct correlation to the WAC losing any credible challenge from quality teams as they all left for the MWC hence the rise of Utah St, San Jose St. and LA Tech all in the same year? I have my questions.

These teams' records are not just a result of inferior opponents. That plays a role of course, but all 3 teams have competed against legitimate opponents this year.
San Jose State: 20-17 Loss vs Stanford ; 20-14 Win vs BYU (BYU is kind of down this year, but they've had many close games)
Louisiana Tech: 59-57 Loss vs Texas A&M
Utah State: 16-14 Loss vs Wisconsin; 6-3 Loss vs BYU

If anything, their records have taken a hit because they had to play each other. I think these teams can compete against anybody except for Oregon and Alabama. Even then, Louisiana Tech might even have the offense to hang with Oregon.

It is really hard to get excited about any coaches name that is brought up right now. Due to the last two hires and the tight reins the school puts on the AD.

I frankly don't understand the logic that requires us to make a "splash hire." I am perfectly on board with hiring a little known Utah State head coach who knows how to develop talent.

I felt like Hawk was splashy - getting Bieniemy was splashy - I don't need any more splash. Just substance.

I frankly don't understand the logic that requires us to make a "splash hire." I am perfectly on board with hiring a little known Utah State head coach who knows how to develop talent.

I felt like Hawk was splashy - getting Bieniemy was splashy - I don't need any more splash. Just substance.

^^^^This^^^^^

Fact always is hiring a a coach is risky. Look at how many coaches Bama went through after the Bear, look at how many schools with significantly more resources than we have have made hires that turned out bad.

When Hawk was hired lot's of people considered him a slam dunk, if we hadn't hired him another major conference school would have and maybe for more money.

At this point I want someone who can run a program, lead a coaching staff, and turn this thing in the right direction. I don't care if he has star power or name recognition. Frankly anyone who has that level of name recognition who would come here would be bringing a bunch of baggage with him.

It isn't about a "splash" hire. It's about a competent, qualified hire.

Dan Hawkins had a terrific head coaching record. He was 40-11-1 at an NAIA school, and was 52-11 at Boise State. He had won 31 straight WAC games at one point. He also had ZERO BCS experience. He had no clue what he was getting himself into, on the field or on the recruiting trail. He was completely unprepared in that regard.

CU needs a coach who has BCS experience, and preferably BCS coordinator/coaching experience. Someone who knows how to coach against BCS competition and how to recruit against BCS competition. As a head coach, Gary Anderson has won ONE (1) game against a BCS opponent, and that was this year against Utah.

Now that doesn't mean that Gary Anderson cannot succeed at CU. He might go on to win 5 BCS titles at CU for all I know. But if he is the guy, he is making a significant step UP in competition.

This program needs a complete overhaul at this point and, with our lack of QB talent at the moment, the offense needs a innovator. I would like to see Anderson at HC to fix the awful D and Bob Stitt at OC w/ full control to put some points on the board for a change. It can't get any worse, nowhere to go but up, and it could actually work given our current roster.

For some reason I think of Hawk when I consider Andersen as our next HC - I hope we do a lot of research on him, make sure he doesn't have a Chris Petersen making him look good.

For some reason I think of Hawk when I consider Andersen as our next HC - I hope we do a lot of research on him, make sure he doesn't have a Chris Petersen making him look good.

I dont think he does, was a very good DC at Utah. And walked into the head coaching job at Utah state and turned the program around in 4 yrs. But good point, I think CU needs to look really hard at any possible coach.

^^^Excellent!!!^^^ Outstanding!!!^^^

Substance has to mean experienced coordinators and assistants with experience recruiting the PAC-12 footprint. Otherwise you are repeating the Dan Hawkins experiment.

Utah St's coaching staff has been raided for the last couple years. He would also most likely bring Andy Ludwig with him (OC at SDSU).

I dont think he does, was a very good DC at Utah. And walked into the head coaching job at Utah state and turned the program around in 4 yrs. But good point, I think CU needs to look really hard at any possible coach.

I think that is the key difference. Hawk continued to build on what Dirk Koetter had built. This guy took a terriable program and built it to a 10 game winner (with his two losses by less then 5 points to BYU and Wisco)

It isn't about a "splash" hire. It's about a competent, qualified hire.

Dan Hawkins had a terrific head coaching record. He was 40-11-1 at an NAIA school, and was 52-11 at Boise State. He had won 31 straight WAC games at one point. He also had ZERO BCS experience. He had no clue what he was getting himself into, on the field or on the recruiting trail. He was completely unprepared in that regard.

CU needs a coach who has BCS experience, and preferably BCS coordinator/coaching experience. Someone who knows how to coach against BCS competition and how to recruit against BCS competition. As a head coach, Gary Anderson has won ONE (1) game against a BCS opponent, and that was this year against Utah.

Now that doesn't mean that Gary Anderson cannot succeed at CU. He might go on to win 5 BCS titles at CU for all I know. But if he is the guy, he is making a significant step UP in competition.

This is a very good point; however, I still feel comfortable with Anderson. I especially like his DC experience at Utah with Meyer.

Substance has to mean experienced coordinators and assistants with experience recruiting the PAC-12 footprint. Otherwise you are repeating the Dan Hawkins experiment.

I don't put a lot of weight into recruiting the Pac12 footprint. Chip Kelly came from New Hampshire.

I don't put a lot of weight into recruiting the Pac12 footprint. Chip Kelly came from New Hampshire.

Eh, if you are winning you can recruit anywhere, and Oregon was winning before Kelly got there. I think that we are going to need some good recruiters on the staff to get that ball rolling. But I don't think that the head coach has to have some super splash to it. Get me a guy that can win 4 or 5 games next year, and it will look like a miracle to the recruits.

Eh, if you are winning you can recruit anywhere, and Oregon was winning before Kelly got there. I think that we are going to need some good recruiters on the staff to get that ball rolling. But I don't think that the head coach has to have some super splash to it. Get me a guy that can win 4 or 5 games next year, and it will look like a miracle to the recruits.

Not only that but Oregon has certain recruiting advantages (Nike) that CU doesn't have.

Chip Kelly's assistants absolutely know the PAC-12 footprint though.
So, I know you're a fan of Wilcox, but outside of him (since it appears that Bohn is going after current HCs), what realistic HC prospect are you thinking of that satisfies your recruiting & coaching criteria? I'm having a hard time picking any of the candidates that appear to be realistic that fit the criteria of a great coach and great recruiter. And if we're gonna "settle" then I'd rather settle for a coach that is a great coach over one that knows the P12 recruiting landscape.

That's true, but he coached for 2 years at Oregon BEFORE he was named the head coach. So even though it wasn't a lengthy period of time, he did have an opportunity to create some recruiting connections in the west, before he became the head coach.

So, I know you're a fan of Wilcox, but outside of him (since it appears that Bohn is going after current HCs), what realistic HC prospect are you thinking of that satisfies your recruiting & coaching criteria? I'm having a hard time picking any of the candidates that appear to be realistic that fit the criteria of a great coach and great recruiter. And if we're gonna "settle" then I'd rather settle for a coach that is a great coach over one that knows the P12 recruiting landscape.

I don't think the head coach has to have direct recruiting ties. It is nice, but not a necessity. However, there needs to be some assistants on the next staff that have recruited the PAC-12 footprint and have experience recruiting to BCS schools. Otherwise you repeating a major mistake with Dan Hawkins and his staff's inability to recruit Texas.

Agree that every candidate has warts, and a lack of BCS experience is Anderson's biggest.I do strongly question his ability to recruit against BCS level competition.

However, I do think it's disingenuine to paint him has someone who hasn't coached against top competition. Someone posted his record against BCS schools as DC at Utah. At Utah State, he's played at least one BCS school per year, and has never lost by more than one score. Additionally, it's not exactly bottom of the barrel BCS teams that they've been playing, either:

2012:
Utah (OT win)
@ Wisconsin (2 pt loss, missed FG in last seconds)

2011:
@ Auburn (4 pt loss, Auburn scored TD with 30 seconds left after onside kick)

2010:
@ Oklahoma (7 pt loss, missed a field goal and a red zone turnover in the 4th quarter)

2009:
@ Texas A&M (8 pt loss)

Chip Kelly's assistants absolutely know the PAC-12 footprint though.

I hear what you are saying, but I'm not so sure geographical expereince is so important. A guy can recruit or he can't; he's a salesman or he isn't. Guys like Mack Brown or LK at USC are wicked good recruiters and are goign to bring home the bacon no matter where they are coaching. I think it's more about your personal skill set vs. your knowlege and expereince in a certain geographical market. That said, I have no idea if Anderson can recruit. He doesn't have any track record as a BCS recruiter. So that's certainly a question mark.

we would have been happy to have over half of utah st's team in buff unis this year!...including the qb

I hear what you are saying, but I'm not so sure geographical expereince is so important. A guy can recruit or he can't; he's a salesman or he isn't. Guys like Mack Brown or LK at USC are wicked good recruiters and are goign to bring home the bacon no matter where they are coaching. I think it's more about your personal skill set vs. your knowlege and expereince in a certain geographical market. That said, I have no idea if Anderson can recruit. He doesn't have any track record as a BCS recruiter. So that's certainly a question mark.

Somewhat true.

What I'm getting at is that assistants are the first point of contact between the school and high school coaches. Many times, assistants have built relationships over several years at different schools. I think knowing the geography is essential in that regard.

Mack Brown and Lane Kiffin are great closers, but they are pretty unique as well, not to mention recruiting to Texas/USC is different that recruiting to CU.

I think De Reuter might meet that criteria though. I admit, however, that I am not 100% sold nor 100% against any of the candidates we are talking about and all of them could be a massive step up from our last HC.

Agree that every candidate has warts, and a lack of BCS experience is Anderson's biggest.I do strongly question his ability to recruit against BCS level competition.

However, I do think it's disingenuine to paint him has someone who hasn't coached against top competition. Someone posted his record against BCS schools as DC at Utah. At Utah State, he's played at least one BCS school per year, and has never lost by more than one score. Additionally, it's not exactly bottom of the barrel BCS teams that they've been playing, either:

2012:
Utah (OT win)
@ Wisconsin (2 pt loss, missed FG in last seconds)

2011:
@ Auburn (4 pt loss, Auburn scored TD with 30 seconds left after onside kick)

2010:
@ Oklahoma (7 pt loss, missed a field goal and a red zone turnover in the 4th quarter)

2009:
@ Texas A&M (8 pt loss)

Again - I'm not saying he'd be a bad candidate. He might wind up being fantastic. I'm just saying I hope he's not the #1 candidate. If he is on the list, and Bohn has made contact and attempted communications with everyone on the list, and it winds up getting down to Anderson, I've got no problem with it whatsoever.

But there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between playing ONE (1) BCS opponent per year and playing 9-10 per year.

I don't think the head coach has to have direct recruiting ties. It is nice, but not a necessity. However, there needs to be some assistants on the next staff that have recruited the PAC-12 footprint and have experience recruiting to BCS schools. Otherwise you repeating a major mistake with Dan Hawkins and his staff's inability to recruit Texas.
I agree fully with you there, I'm just not sure how we know that ahead of time about Andersen or any of the other candidates and I don't know about discounting them because of possible staff deficiences. Yet :lol:

Without checking, very few of our candidates seem to have P12 ties, so it'll be a matter of coaching trees or working friendships they've developed over time. Does that overlap into P12 territory? I'd hope so.

I agree fully with you there, I'm just not sure how we know that ahead of time about Andersen or any of the other candidates and I don't know about discounting them because of possible staff deficiences. Yet :lol:

Without checking, very few of our candidates seem to have P12 ties, so it'll be a matter of coaching trees or working friendships they've developed over time. Does that overlap into P12 territory? I'd hope so.

No doubt. I just hope this is the type of stuff Bohn is talking about with the candidates.

Back