What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boise St vs UDub

I was not outright dismissing Boise. I give them credit for consistently dominating lesser conferences. I also give them credit for scheduling BCS teams. I was merely pointing out the notion of them beating three PAC-12 teams in a row in the Las Vegas Bowl is either: an outright stretch by including Utah or simply less impressive than it sounds given the teams they have played.

Thus far, there's only been two schools that have made the jump to a big time conference - Utah and TCU. Neither has done particularly well - mediocre at best. The week-in, week-out schedule that a top tier conference throws at you is too much for those schools to handle. It's not to say that those schools can't compete at some point, but they will have a lot of work to do in order to get up to speed.

Um, Miami.

Used to be an independent.

Thus far, there's only been two schools that have made the jump to a big time conference - Utah and TCU. Neither has done particularly well - mediocre at best. The week-in, week-out schedule that a top tier conference throws at you is too much for those schools to handle. It's not to say that those schools can't compete at some point, but they will have a lot of work to do in order to get up to speed.

Um, Miami. Used to be an independent.

Texas and Texas A&M were in the lowly SWC

The difficulty in judging this I believe is that these teams haven't stayed static.

I follow the Utes pretty closely as I spend a great deal of time in Utah. These last two teams were not their best teams in the last 10 years by a long shot. Willingham deconstructed Utah by going away from Urban's spread offense when he thought he was upgrading the position by hiring Norm Chow. That proved a disaster, while the offensive co-coordinator before Chow moved on to Fresno State and we know how that ended up.

I also read somewhere that TCU had perhaps the youngest team (Younger than the Buffs I believe) this past year.

Give it some more time in TCU's case. Utah - expect Willingham to be fired if 2013 doesn't prove to show improvement. His teams have been on a downward arc for enough years to have many fans calling for his head.

Miami and FSU were both independents. There used to be several. Farve's Southern Miss was also an Indy.

That's not necessarily Boise State's fault...it's the Mountain West's top bowl. They want to go to the Big East to maybe play better than "mediocre" competition, and it falls apart - not their fault.
Mind you, they scheduled games against Oregon, Virginia Tech, Georgia and Michigan State the past four seasons. Won the first three. Those teams wound up in the Rose, Orange and Outback Bowls those respective seasons - and Boise State beat all three.
I'm a CU grad, and yes I live in Boise, but it's pretty silly to just dismiss them because of their schedule. What the hell do they need to do to prove they can compete against anyone? They can't just jump into the Pac-12, and you can't seriously expect them to schedule four SEC teams in nonconference, can you?
Eight guys from their roster last season are in the NFL and Petersen is 9-2 against BCS teams. They're good, and that pisses people off for some reason. Only in college football is the little team that could somehow hated.
It's much harder to win every week in a major conference. PAC 12, Big 12, Big 10.

It's much harder to win every week in a major conference. PAC 12, Big 12, Big 10.
pac12 a a major conference:wtf:almost all pack 12 schools in Scoring defense are ranked 40's and lower just b/c they may be recognized as a major conference doesn't mean they play like one last time i checked defense wins name six pack12 schools with great defenses you will only name 3

pac12 a a major conference:wtf:almost all pack 12 schools in Scoring defense are ranked 40's and lower just b/c they may be recognized as a major conference doesn't mean they play like one last time i checked defense wins name six pack12 schools with great defenses you will only name 3

The SEC is the only major conference in college football.

The SEC is the major cheating conference in college football.

SEC takes it to a different level with win at all cost. That said thinking that a conference with programs that have had the sucess that the PAC has had is not a major conference if a ridiculous statement. If the PAC was not a major conference they wouldn't be generating the TV revenues they do, which then in turn go back into program budgets.

The counter to the argument about defensive stats is the offensive stats. You have bad defensive stats because you have a bunch of teams that can generate yardage and put points on the board. This isn't a fluke based on what the NFL thinks of PAC offensive players in the draft.

This isn't the MWC we are talking about.

SEC takes it to a different level with win at all cost. That said thinking that a conference with programs that have had the sucess that the PAC has had is not a major conference if a ridiculous statement. If the PAC was not a major conference they wouldn't be generating the TV revenues they do, which then in turn go back into program budgets.

The counter to the argument about defensive stats is the offensive stats. You have bad defensive stats because you have a bunch of teams that can generate yardage and put points on the board. This isn't a fluke based on what the NFL thinks of PAC offensive players in the draft.

This isn't the MWC we are talking about.

I was mocking the irony of someone telling 77buff that the P12 is a real conference, but apparently that wasn't clear.

I was mocking the irony of someone telling 77buff that the P12 is a real conference, but apparently that wasn't clear.

I should have clarified as well that while I quoted your post mine was really aimed at azrebel who apparently thinks that the MWC is a real conference and the PAC is not.

One could assume from his handle that he is a fan of the mighty UNLV program that would get their a** handed to them on a weekly basis in a real conference. Lots of the mid-major fans/apologist like to use Boise as an arguing point but refuse to look at the fact that Boise plays no more than 2-3 decent teams a year so they can focus all their attention on those teams. Play a schedule like CU did last year in conference with USC, Oregon, and Stanford in a three week period leading into more games against bowl teams following and tell me that Boise would go undefeated. Not going to happen. Boise loads up their record each year beating teams like UNLV.

Back