1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brandon Austin Transfers to Oregon

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by CUBuffs2021, Jan 7, 2014.

1. CUBuffs2021

CUBuffs2021 New Member

The guard goes to Oregon from Providence.

2. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

mods, can we start an Oregon Basketball transfer sub-forum, or maybe just sticky a thread.

Creebuzz likes this.
  3. air-zona

air-zona Member

Good one. I wanted to add some rep but it will not allow me... Have to spread the rep.

4. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

This **** is ridiculous - so is Austin another 5th year senior type, or will there finally be a transfer to Whoregon who actually has to sit his ass for a year?

5. tante

Kid is a freshman this year. Top 100 player. If he doesn't sit out a year.....

6. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

How much is PK paying transfers these days?

7. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Mercenary U

8. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Austin, along with another teammate, was suspended for the entire 2013-2014 season by Providence College for unspecified violation of team conduct rules. There are rumors of an innocuous incident, with no charges from the police. As a Philly native, he was obviously looking to get out of town. Eugene certainly fits the bill.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  9. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Does Altman even know what a High School is?

10. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

And this is why the conference coaches don't like Altman... ****ing ridiculous. Very NBA like.

11. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Cut the Ducks some slack. The cosmos still owes the Oregon Athletic Department some backfill for the Seastrunk transfer.

12. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Let them have these bunches of transfers. I think it hurts their overall team chemistry, and I think we saw that when things got tight on Sunday.

13. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

If that is the case I'm sure Oregon will claim some sort of persecution/reprisals caused him to leave and look for yet another transfer waiver, though it may not be critical if he can play in January anyway. What was it they claimed with Kazemi...that he had faced some sort of racial or religious persecution at Rice (which I'm pretty sure is one of the most liberal schools in Texas) because he was Iranian or something.

14. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Does "liberal school in Texas" mean they allow you to dance on campus?

I'M LOOKING AT YOU BAYLOR!

Uncle Ken likes this.
  15. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

Saying "the most liberal school in Texas" is kind of like saying "the warmest place in Antarctica"

16. tante

I'm starting to think this is like the P Rich situation. If Oregon didn't abuse the transfer rules we probably wouldn't have a problem with this.

17. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

UT Austin is pretty darn liberal. Rice isn't far behind.

18. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

I could care less about the transfers, there are lots of ways to build a program. Altman hasn't broke any rules (presumably). There is nothing in the NCAA rule book that says you have to have 75% of your players from HS. Calipari recruits one and done guys, Altman goes after transfers and Tad goes after undervalued players.

There are lots of ways to build a program, not sure one way is the "right way".

19. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I agree. For me, though, Tad's way is the "preferred way". I like seeing these freshmen come in a bit clueless, watch them start to figure it out over the course of their 1st year, and then develop over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Doing it this way, we get the chance to cheer for the players and not just the jersey. I mean, how big of a Moser fan can any Oregon fan really be?

20. Goose

How big of a Carlon Brown fan were you?

21. jwhite17

jwhite17 Member

He was here two years though. Moser is another one year rental that has played for three universities!

Oregon has recruited the most senior "grad student" rentals than any other school (ISU might be close though). I wouldn't mind one every once and awhile or to fill in a need (3pt shooting) for us, but Oregon is bulding a whole team of them.

In fact, they have three this year alone (Calliste, Moser and Amardi). That's the difference. Also, I'm not even counting Young (who somehow gets eligible right away because his dad is demoted at Houston) or the other JC players they picked up.

I also prefer Tad's way, but Altman is definitely exploiting the rule. It shouldn't be hard to recruit good high school players to Oregon. They have nice faclitiies, decent tradition, good core of young players (Carter, Dotson and Artis), etc. It is one thing to get a bunch of transfers his first year or two, but he is in his fourth year, and still doing it, and this current guy just decided to transfer to Oregon four days after getting suspended. That's a little strange to me.

22. Goose

I'm sorry, but the "exploiting the rule" thing is hollow to me. If Tad were doing this, and winning, we'd all be thrilled. If it's not against the rules? More props to Oregon for pulling it off. As for transferring four days after being suspended - the kid was probably recruited by Oregon out of HS. When he realized he was gone, it was probably one of his first calls. I don't see anything wrong with this.

23. jwhite17

jwhite17 Member

I would happy that Tad is winning for sure, but I wouldn't think that model would be successful long-term.

What if he recruited a couple bad apples one year? That would kill the team chemistry and the season.

It is impressive thaat Oregon is able to get all these high profile transfer players to play together, but it is a little strange to me because it isn't needed IMO for a Pac 12 program, and I wonder how this affects APR?

24. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

APR is solid, 952 for the 2011-2012. Looks like there was a poor year from the transition from Kent to Altman, but they'll be fine.

If Altman gets a bad transfer it's just like Calipari last year. Transfers may not work out but that doesn't mean "regular" HS recruits work out either. Look at Jenkins or Damien Cain.

25. alec10burks

alec10burks Member

Odds are he gets a hardship waiver from the NCAA?

26. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

In before JRK claims Tad sucks for not getting Austin.

27. whatthebuff

whatthebuff Club Member Club Member

We've won the last 4 against Oregon so I hope they get more and more transfers. We'll beat them with transfers, hs players, in a house, with a mouse, in a tree, whatever we'll just keep winning.

28. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Not like I am with Mayor, Ski, Scott or XJ.

Goose likes this.
  29. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

My only issue with the Oregon transfers comes from seeing the NCAA grant seemingly unfounded hardship waivers two years in a row. The grad transfers I have no problems with.