What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Breaking: D.J. Eliot officially hired as D.C.

We thought this schedule was murderous in '16 until we realized that UCLA, Oregon, ASU, and UA were overrated. We've had surprises each year in the P12. It's been hard to predict.

Pac-12 is generally the hardest conference to predict. Seems like every program has had Top 10 season during the past 25 years and it's hard to know from year to year who is going to rise or crash. Everybody's got talent.

we were headed for a likely drop off in defensive performance next year, even if the traitor hadn't left to join the nike slavers. so, it is going to be hard, i think, to judge this hire on an apples to apples basis next season. i feel like we've got some guys that have the potential to be good.

if montez can play more consistently like he did in his first start, our offense could be a force so that might help take some pressure of a younger defense.

the schedule is also much harder next year so, again, apples to apples comparisons will be tough.

like everyone, i am going to hope for the best. keep recruiting well, and we can smooth out the types of ripples that we are going to be worried about next year with all the defensive changes.
Unfortunately, the natural anonymous message board tendency will be to blame Eliot when the probable drop off of the defense occurs next year.

Unfortunately, the natural anonymous message board tendency will be to blame Eliot when the probable drop off of the defense occurs next year.

For sure. It's what we do.

But, mostly, I think it's Lindgren who is going to take the heat if this team isn't owning the scoreboard. Not only does he return most of his offense's 2-deep and gained a lot of new talent that came in or returned from injury (Winfree), but the biggest question mark is whether he can get performance from the position he coaches with a QB who showed the ability to go 300/100 as a freshman.

For sure. It's what we do.

But, mostly, I think it's Lindgren who is going to take the heat if this team isn't owning the scoreboard. Not only does he return most of his offense's 2-deep and gained a lot of new talent that came in or returned from injury (Winfree), but the biggest question mark is whether he can get performance from the position he coaches with a QB who showed the ability to go 300/100 as a freshman.
As we all know, the best defense is a great offense. We do all know that. Don't we?

MacIntyre said Eliot will call the defensive plays at CU.
"Oh yeah, he's calling it all," MacIntyre said. "He's running it and doing it, for sure."
A former defensive coordinator himself, MacIntyre said he will be "very involved" in the defense, but no different than he was before, and no different than the involvement he has on offense and special teams.
"I'm a hands-on guy all the way around," he said. "I let (assistants) do their stuff, but I'm not a stand-around coach."
http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_30746028/macintyre-excited-about-eliot-leading-defense

You can count on it. Like I stated before., we all new cu defense would drop a bit in 2017 with so many starters gone. New defensive coaches now. I will be looking to see how much the defense improves throughout the season. 2018 will be a better gauge.

Like most, I'm anxious to see what Eliot brings to the table.

Apologies if already posed, but is anyone concerned about him getting stripped of play calling duty this past season after two poor defensive outings? Without other contextual info, that's a red flag for me.

What isn't talked about enough when we speak of our defense was the incredible improvement in fundamentals that took place this year. If we can tackle and get off blocks as well in 17 as we did in 16, and if we can cover nearly as well, we are going to be pretty good. There will be some drop off due to experience, but the talent is there as long as they don't over emphasize scheme and focus on the little things again. Coach Elliot spoke of that a bit, but I have a feeling that is a hallmark of HCMM's defenses.

Like most, I'm anxious to see what Eliot brings to the table.

Apologies if already posed, but is anyone concerned about him getting stripped of play calling duty this past season after two poor defensive outings? Without other contextual info, that's a red flag for me.

Yes, those concerns have been addressed at length and were shared by many. Post 144 in this thread references an article that provides a bit more context, if you are interested.

There's some question as to how much play calling Eliot was ever doing because Stoops seemed to be doing it all along.

Who knows.

Regardless, Eliot is inexperienced as a play caller and he's got to prove he's got the chops for it this year.

interesting, from B Howell yesterday:
"From everything I've heard, Leavitt and MacIntyre didn't get along too well. I think Leavitt was appreciative of the opportunity CU gave him to get back into college, but the opportunity to move on somewhere was appealing to him."

I think MM wanted somebody who won't outshine him

"From everything I've heard, Leavitt and MacIntyre didn't get along too well. I think Leavitt was appreciative of the opportunity CU gave him to get back into college, but the opportunity to move on somewhere was appealing to him."

I don't think that's too surprising.

If they didn't get along, that itself is reason to move on. It has nothing to do with outshining him.

First time hearing from our new DC.

A guy with ties like that is a little more passionate about his roots and getting people here and probably a little more stable in staying in the job.

Hilarious that they met and connected when MM was at Dallas and Eliot at Texas State. :D

First time hearing from our new DC.

giphy.gif

Huh?
Replacing Michigan with Texas State and Stanford with Cal is "harder"?

Replace Oregon with Washington and have 5 road games in conference instead of 4, though. It's still probably easier than last year overall, but probably not in conference.

Replace Oregon with Washington and have 5 road games in conference instead of 4, though. It's still probably easier than last year overall, but probably not in conference.
We don't really replace Oregon with Washington though, we replace Oregon and Stanford with Washington and California and we also drop Michigan.

Mac was probably too preachy

Leavitt lost his job at USF beacause he hit one of his players and others players witnessed the incident. He didn't get fired for refusing to take a direct order from his supervisor, that's just silly.

Back