1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buff Legacies Playing Elsewhere

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

This is something that really bothers me with Hawkins. I can see missing on some of the legacy players, but when you miss on all of them it's got to be intentional. I just don't know whether it's intentional by Juicebox as part of his culture change or intentional by the ex-Buffs because they don't want their sons playing for Hawkins.

Sal Aunese / Bill McCartney - Chase McCartney (LSU)
    John Embree - Taylor Embree (UCLA)
    Darian Hagan - Darian Hagan Jr. (Cal)
    Kanavis McGhee - Dayvon McGhee (Kansas State) & Kendall McGhee (Minnesota)

Any others that I missed?

2. BeachBronco

BeachBronco Active Member

It doesn't bother me, Peyton went to Tennesee........

3. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

As far as I know McCartney went to LSU just because of Les Miles, and would have gone anywhere that Les was. I also dont believe that Hagan has a fantastic relationship with his son, and if thats the case, his son isnt giong to want to spend 4 years on the football field with his dad.

4. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Cherry Creek's DeVaughn Levy, (whose father is CU running backs coach Darian Hagan and is half brother to Darian, Jr), said earlier he wants to go to Cal-Berkeley with his bro, but they haven't shown much interest yet.

DeVaughn attended the Buff's 4-day camp back in June and said this:

5. Buff21

Buff21 New Member

He's at LSU because Barnett got fired and LSU under Les Miles was the next most comfortable option.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090925/aunese

6. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

7. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

...Sal's kid was decent in HS, but he will never see the field. I don't even think he's on scholarship there. As others pointed out, Les and Bill had a good relationship, hence why he went there.

Darian Jr. heavily considered us, and his dad tried hard. I think we did a decent job at recruiting him, but it just didn't work out. If I remember correctly, Dayvon wasn't that great of a prospect either, and Kendall was supposedly more of a work in progress too.

Out of this list, Hagan Jr. is the only kid that really warranted heavy recruitment (I don't remember Embree's kid). If you're saying that we should be more lenient with offers to legacy kids, I completely disagree. If they're talented enough (like Hagan's kid), yes go after them hard. However, landing legacy kids should not be a priority over getting the best talent in here.

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

The thing is, I'm not talking about guys who are on the roster at mid-level Sunbelt schools. Every single one of them is at a BCS program that has been better than CU over the past 4 years. Besides, we have under-recruited during those years and have been significantly under the scholarship limit. And it's not like we haven't been taking "Plan C" type guys as part of every class under Hawkins. The arguments just don't wash. There's a definite disconnect between the Hawkins era and those with ties to pre-Hawkins CU.

9. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

We certainly could use Embree this year.

10. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Former Buffs don't like Hawkins.

11. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

fify

12. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sometimes you get this with a legacy :lol:

CUBUFF80 likes this.
  13. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

unfortunately...this is true. Our team is just not playing well enough to earn their respect.

However, most of my friends that played for CU were Barnett guys, and they have to be at least a little biased toward Hawk. Even still, I wouldn't blame Hawk for this particular item. As stated, TC was not really a DI recruit, Embree went where his dad is, Hagan was on the fence with us for a bit, and there are others that just didn't pan out (they weren't talented enough - ala Rouslon - or they weren't interested - ala Fauria).

Hawk has tried though to get in touch with alumni and history. He has made a real connection with McCartney through his efforts, but his on-field performance has really hindered his relationship with former players.

14. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Nebraska has a big tradition of continuing legacies.

15. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Looks like the fathers were much better players..:smile2:

16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Jesse White was a kid that GB simply wouldn't go after. I don't even know if he was offered. Jaslee Rouson had an offer, had accepted it, and then GB was fired and Hawk yanked the offer. Matt Hasselbeck was screwed over by Skippy Neuhisel. Rumor at the time was that he wanted to come here.

17. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Cody's not a D1 QB either, yet here we are. I would have been much happier watching a non-D1 QB with Buff pedigree like TC rather than the nepotism we're putting up right now.

Going Deep...

18. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I bet he could walk on and return punts.

19. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

We offered both of the McGhee's... they decided to go elsewhere.