What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs needed a win like this

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
It was ugly, it was uncomfortable, we didn't play like we should have.

The offense failed to do things they should do against almost any opponent, the special teams were terrible, it was much harder than it had to be.

And for that reason it will help this team grow a lot more than a 30 point win would have.

For the last couple years this team has managed to lose virtually every close game. We gave up an INT, we fumbled, we blew a coverage, we missed a kick or shanked a punt, we spoiled a scoring play with a penalty. In short we figured out a way to lose.

Today we played a quality opponent in their place, a place we have not had success in the past.

We went the entire game on the edge. Stanford for the entire game was one drive, one play from taking the lead but we never let them. The offense didn't do much but we didn't turn the ball over. Instead when Stanford threatened our D took the ball from them. Our special teams were bad but we didn't give up the play that cost us the game.

We have had some games this year that proved we can win pretty. This game is proof to the entire team that we can also win ugly.

For a team that hasn't had much success in a long time that in the end may be more important that looking good would have been this week.

If the progression of
- lose by a lot
- lose by a little
- win by a little
- win by a lot
Holds true... I am really looking forward to next year. (y)

But I am willing to enjoy every up and "down" of this season.

If the progression of
- lose by a lot
- lose by a little
- win by a little
- win by a lot

Instead of needing those last two interceptions, CU should have won this game by 20. It's nice to see they could still win after leaving all of those scoring chances out there.

Last week I said that good teams win even when they make mistakes, and we made mistakes last week.

Here's this week's truism:

Good teams win even when 2/3 of the team has an "off day;" yesterday our special teams were a disaster, and the offense was definitely off.

If the progression of
- lose by a lot
- lose by a little
- win by a little
- win by a lot

Remember the people here that mocked that idea? there's a lesson here somewhere...

I was thinking back during the game yesterday to last year's UCLA game, where we dominated, but turnovers and defensive breakdowns turned it into what looked like a blowout.

This year, the defense didn't break down, and the offense didn't turn the ball over. Those are huge.

I'm sure a lot of people around the country are going to look at that score and think, that was a **** game, and in some ways, they'd be right. But to us, it was beautiful.

there's a lot of truth in this thread.....and, going back, @UO.....Ducks get the big PI call and any of the Buff teams of the last decade fold right there....but we make a play on D to win. I remember talking to someone and saying "CU makes a play to win on D......when was the last time you could say that?".

i admit i was on the fence a bit until the last two weeks (still in the 6-7 win tally camp and totally OK with it)....but, that showed me something. 3/4 remaining games at home.....sky is the limit....let's pin our ears back and go for it. control our own destiny, get loose and bring the fight.

Last week I said that good teams win even when they make mistakes, and we made mistakes last week.

Here's this week's truism:

Good teams win even when 2/3 of the team has an "off day;" yesterday our special teams were a disaster, and the offense was definitely off.
Let's get it straight: Special teams as a whole, were NOT a disaster! The FG kickers were the disaster.
The rest of the ST's played well. Didn't see "Mr. All-Purpose Yds. Champ" do much of anything; no blocked kicks or punts (ask Urban about those!); contain was good. Julmiss made a FR mistake but it was real close--8 inches--- from being okay. You want to chomp at anything point out the kicker had a bad first two kicks, but in real crunch time, still had stones enough to make a critical one.

Last edited:
It's not really the progression the team is following though.
I disagree. It hasn't been to the "t", but the idea is still essentially the same. The "win small" step was supposed to be last year and was very, very close to being exactly that. This year seems to have potential to be a mix of win small and win big, depending on how the remaining 4 games shake out. It also depends on what your idea of winning small and big are.

I think we win the next two by double digits, which would mark six such wins this year. Hard to describe that as "win by a little."
Ive always taken that saying as more of an overall season, in general, not necessarily game by game, or the actual score of the games. We beat Stanford yesterday by 5, but that game should be considered winning Big.

Ive always taken that saying as more of an overall season, in general, not necessarily game by game, or the actual score of the games. We beat Stanford yesterday by 5, but that game should be considered winning Big.

Just don't believe rises and declines in college football follow linear paths.

We ran ~250 yds on them. Passing game sucked but they have good DBs and a good DL getting pressure.

You are correct, we ran the ball on them. We made multiple mistakes in the red zone though. The missed FGs were ugly but at least one of those should have been a TD instead of a FG try. We had a number of times when we were moving the ball and then stalled because of a mistake on our part as much as a defensive play on their part.

Importantly though while we made mistakes that cost us points we didn't make the mistakes that gave them points.

Good teams find ways to win on the road...especially against a team like Stanford that may well finish 9-3 or 8-4 due to a favorable remaining schedule.

You are correct, we ran the ball on them. We made multiple mistakes in the red zone though. The missed FGs were ugly but at least one of those should have been a TD instead of a FG try. We had a number of times when we were moving the ball and then stalled because of a mistake on our part as much as a defensive play on their part.

Importantly though while we made mistakes that cost us points we didn't make the mistakes that gave them points.
Mistakes a plenty...and the playing calling at times looked like vintage BL. But good teams find ways to win on the road. This win was all on the D!!!!

Exactly. Will challenge to win the PAC-12 out of nowhere this year, may take a step back next year (mediocre bowl), and then should have MacIntyre's most talented team in 2018.

This is why I laughed at everyone taking the "lose by a lot/lose by a little/win by a little/win by a lot" as some sort of guaranteed 4 year trajectory that MM was promising. Real life is more complicated than that.

Back